1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lab grown meat

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 29, 2018.

Discuss Lab grown meat in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

They grow human ears on mice too. So I suppose they could grow them on a mouse.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

By that logic we’d have to grow steaks on the back of another animal...

3. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    if you like films from the 70,s , Charlton Heston the star . I,m not sure it will have stood the test of time tho .

Callum McGregor likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

A mouse is better for the ozone though.

5. ddub11

You really need to do your homework on wheat.
    This meat is not natural it is engineered and your body will react to it.

You are what you eat and you will have a cell taken from a cow and injected with (* knows what growth hormones they,ll add to it to increase productivity)rather than eating meat from animal that have have been pasture raised.

Pasture raised animals have a high content of a high level of vitamins and other micro nutrients amongst other things that contribute to our well being,once we start going down the road of engineering food we will lose these nutrients which will our own health and well being.

There are many benefits of eating meat but the benefits come from what makes up the meat and if its injected with man made products it will damage your body,with lack of nutrients and that is just the start.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I have.

Something “not being natural” isn’t an argument against it. Your body will absorb the nutrients and benefit from it.

If you want to think about growth hormones then that is something that happens to pasture raised animals.

Further to that, that’s just nonsense scaremongering based on nothing. If you don’t know how they grow the meat then don’t sit there and make assumptions. Glucose is what makes these cells grow. The meat produced is molecularly identical.

So will this new meat.

Nonsense. Another baseless assumption.

Absolute nonsense.

7. celtic warrior

I'm certainly intrigued by all of this.

I have a completely blind ignorance to this and offer no credible weight to this but I do wonder how it would all work and it can be fully trusted?.

I mean the UK doesn't have the means to even make it's Insulin for it's Diabetic population, so in my mind (bearing in mind I've read * all about it) I can't see how the UK would be able to create every little thing en masse in a lab to such a volume that it would meet the needs just in terms of sales demand alone to keep it's quality in line with what a farmer would raise naturally.

How much of all the little nutrients and all that can be safely produced and stored in lab to make this fancy science meat?.

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

People just make * up these days. Vaccines cause Autism you know

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :giggle1:

I’ve seen people online, selling metal, shrubs sized, structures to negate the effects of ‘chem trails’. The same products have a disclaimer that says they don’t actually do anything. Or people who spray vinegar at the sky when an aircraft flies overhead. * morons. :56:

10. Mr. Slippyfist

I know 5 people who's kids have Autism.

All said their kids developing well enough at the stages they were at, then got the MMR vaccine and literally changed overnight.

Can't be a coincidence

11. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Paul is afraid we’re gonna start growing people in labs that will replace him, don’t worry Paul it’d be very hard to grow a full human that knows everything in the world.

Your position is safe.

12. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Yeah but can you grow autism on the ear of a mouse ?

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Depends.

Is your favourite flavour of ice cream Crayola?

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There’s still a fair bit of work to do, to make it commercially viable, especially in terms of cost. At the moment, it’s far too expensive for the general public for it to be commercially viable.

A burger patty of meat from a lab currently costs about £2000. Within 5 years, due to scaling and the ability to make it more efficiently, they believe they can get the cost of a party to less than £10. So I was told.

There’s very little chance this would be approved for consumer consumption unless it was rigorously tested and shown to be safe. The traditional meat industry is trying to ban the companies from calling it meat unless it’s from a slaughtered animal too, so they have plenty of opposition and obstacles in their way. Not surprising as that industry see this as a legitimate threat to their profits. You can only hinder progress so much though.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There’s zero credible scientific evidence that supports the idea of vaccines causing autism. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

Zander likes this.
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

That maybe so, but I wouldn't be so hasty as to automatically assume that prescription drugs are all safe because they've been deemed safe.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah that’s fair enough. Another discussion though.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  18. ddub11

I know how they grow the meat and its engineered rather than grown with no fat or bones i cant see how it would even taste like
    Do you believe this meat would contain the same nutrients as normal meat ? and if so where are these nutrients coming from?
    Do you believe that a cow that fed from it mother as a calf and is pasture fed (with all the added benefits of that upbringing, rich in vitamins A and E and higher levels of conjugated linoleic acid( CLA) would produce meat that would be the same in taste and benefits as this other meat?

PaulM1888 likes this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Top bantz m8.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Like meat.
    Once it’s ready for the consumer market, absolutely. It won’t be put on sale until they achieve that standard otherwise it’ll flop, due to pre-conceived bias, scepticism and targeted attacks from the traditional meat industry.

They would grow with the meat or be added in. Healthier fats can also replace the current fats found in meat.

I believe that clean meat wouldn’t have any diseases, hormones, pesticides, tranquillisers, wormers or anti-biotics that can be found in traditional meat. I believe that, unlike traditional meat, there would be no risk of E.coli, toxoplasmosis, listeria, to name a few.

I believe that the meat will taste good and I’ll definitely try it, once it’s ready for the consumer market. Any of the nutrients you find in traditional meat can be added or grown into it, which would make it every bit as nutritional and even more nutritional in some cases, especially if they replace the fat found in the meat with a healthier alternative. Or they can keep it the same. It’s still in the development process so there’s clearly a lot to do before it’s ready for consumption by the general public en masse. However, it’s already safe and nutritious, according to reports and is only a few years away from being on the market. So, we’ll see when it comes out.

ddub11 likes this.