1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kundai Benyu!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Jun 29, 2017.

Discuss Kundai Benyu! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Whealdstone cowboy

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Jesus :giggle1:

Surely to * he could have got a better move than that?

Was * hot in that Lyon friendly but haven’t seen him since.

Absolutely massive fall from grace going from Celtic to Wealdstone in the National League. Surely he’s good enough for League 1 in England at least? :eek:

3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Loads of players in national league and below who come from Premier league teams and left aged 18 to 20. Many are there but never get near the 1st team and have to start from scratch to prove themselves.

4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    We release him so they could sign him or we recoup anything at all?

5. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Dont think wealdestone could afford a fee tbh, we must have released him

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Never even heard of them :56:

packybhoy likes this.
  7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

YOU'VE GOT NO FANS...

Oh wait :55:

Doogs. likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Kundai Benyu's signing was hailed as a coup for Celtic.

Brendan Rodgers managed to convince the promising 19-year-old to snub Premier League big boys and head north back in 2017 and the confident teenager didn't hesitate

What followed, however, was not exactly what Benyu had in mind.

The midfielder joined the Parkhead ranks while the Hoops were in the midst of their most successful period in recent years.

Rodgers' charges were rampant.

Benyu knew he'd have a fight on his hands to earn a spot.

What he couldn't have envisaged, though, was the sheer grand scale of the challenge he faced.

It was a hugely frustrating period for the Zimbabwe international, who had already played a number of first-team games at a tender age albeit in the National League.

"I think timing played a massive part because when I got to Celtic the team was established and successful," Benyu recalled in conversation with Football Scotland.

"It's always difficult to change a winning team. The times I did play I enjoyed it, albeit it was frustrating because I wanted to play more, but that's football."

Now five years on and with more experience under his belt, Benyu does not reflect on his time at Celtic in a negative manner.

He does, however, remember feeling powerless to Rodgers' decision not to involve him.

The Northern Irishman played a huge part in securing Benyu's signature, going so far as to phone him personally to seal the deal.

But for forgotten man Benyu, things soured to an extent, and when he went banging on the boss's door for assurances, he felt he was wrongly labelled.

"Celtic played Champions League and that was always appealing to me," the player said when asked what attracted him to Parkhead

Brendan actually called me personally which was amazing. Aston Villa, Tottenham, West Ham and all the other clubs just sent representatives but Brendan calling was major for me.

"(Later) I wasn't angry at all but I was really frustrated because I wasn't given a fair chance.

"I believe in my ability and I was better than some people but it didn't matter what I did in training, certain players would still get the nod ahead of me. If I said something, people would say I had a bad attitude, but I just wanted to play and show what I could do.

"I have no regrets but a lot was promised that wasn't delivered.

"For a young player, the stadium and Champions League potential was so appealing and I did everything and beyond, it just didn't work out.

I try to be as professional as possible and I did knock on the door because I wanted to play and prove myself.

"I went to Celtic not to warm the bench but I understood we had experience and that's what kept the team winning.

"It was always difficult not to blame anyone or point fingers at anyone, but in football you also need luck."

Benyu's time on the training pitch at Lennoxtown wasn't a lengthy spell, as he was eventually shipped out to Oldham Athletic on loan after one senior appearance.

But he did have time to make pals.

And even in that short period of time, he identified one key Celtic player who has the ability to go as far as he fancies.

I actually had a good relationship with everyone.

But I got on really, really well with Nir (Bitton), Griff (Leigh Griffiths) and Odsonne (Edouard).

"Callum McGregor has every ability a top centre-midfielder in Europe has.

"He's a top player and a good man as well."

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I, for one, believe him when he says he was better than some players in training.

His post-Celtic career certainly points to a top class player.

Hammy89, Damnati and Liam Scales like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The juxtaposition of Kundai Benyu rocking up at Helsingborg was clear as day for Celtic fans.

Walking in as a so-called Hoops flop the midfielder was to be bossed by a genuine Parkhead great in Henrik Larsson.

Benyu, then 20-years-old, may have struggled to make his mark at Celtic but Larsson could see a player there.

That's why he did his best to bring the former Ipswich Town man out of his shell at Olympiastadion.

Unfortunately for both player and manager, things didn't quite work out as they'd have hoped and Larsson left to be replaced by another Swedish great in Olof Mellberg.

"Overall Helsingborg was a great club and I still follow them today as the fans and people there were good to me."

There were some good times in Sweden," Benyu told Football Scotland.

"Henrik was fantastic with me and gave me a proper chance when he could.

"But we had three managers in a short space of time.

Benyu has not really settled since leaving the club and opted for a drop down in competition with Wealdstone in England

And while he refused to be specific he did stop short of ruling out a possible return north of the border should an opportunity present itself.

That didn't suit him, either, and now he plies his trade in Iceland.

Right now I'm playing in Iceland with Vestri," he added.

But neither his disappointments at Celtic nor his time at the clubs which followed have put him off the Scottish game.

Our season has finished for the winter so I'm home for Christmas, but I'm training every day on the same program and in the best shape of my career at the moment.

"I'm just enjoying my football again and who knows what might happen in the future."

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021