1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kris Commons

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by z1c0, Apr 28, 2014.

Discuss Kris Commons in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Commons only place in the team is as backup to Johansen and Forrest/Stokes on the wing. I'd have him ahead of Tonev, Wakaso and McGregor in the pecking order for the wide positions even with his lack of pace.

2. murphy88

Of course Brown not being there was a miss, but had we went with Kayal and Bitton, with Johansen ahead of them, we would have been a lot more solid. I've made my feelings clear on Commons mate. If we were lining up the same as Lennon, Commons would be in the team, but in this system, it's not working for me. We didn't press the game anywhere near as well tonight, and Johansen has been the stand out in that area, but he couldn't go pressing tonight as he has been. It's was very noticeable I felt.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aw definitely but that wasn't just Commons, who done it more than any other player on the pitch I think. Scepovic doesn't do it as much or as well as Guidetti and Wakaso doesn't do it as much or as well as Stokes.

But again I agree with what you say, put what you said there but with Commons on the right instead of McGregor then we're a far better and more dangerous team.

4. VikingBhoy

Has he ever played out wide? I just dont see him doing well there. Id rather have him as a striker than out wide with his lack of pace

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes, he's played his full career as a wide player. Was only last year that he got moved to behind the striker.

6. murphy88

At least with Wakaso, you get a defensive shift out him, that's one thing he can't be faulted on. Doesn't do enough going forward though I don't feel, and you could see the improvement when Stokes come on.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I meant pressing forward but Wakaso does work his * off backward ps and his pace is handy.

8. murphy88

Aye, I knew you were getting at that, I should have said I agreed with that mate, because I do. I was more comparing him with Commons, in the sense that both don't press the game great, but at least we don't get left short when defending with Wakaso, because he does work his * off.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't think that's something Commons is incapable of. He certainly done it against better teams in the Champions League under Lenny,

10. murphy88

As I said before though mate, was he moved behind the striker by Lennon because of legs. We are talking 2 years ago now when he was playing out wide. He is 31 now after all.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was moved behind the striker because we were rank and he couldn't stop scoring mate. Would you not even try it in the SPFL? He's hardly played, joint 3rd top scorer and 3rd highest assister.

We definitely need more people taking on a creative and goalscoring role, we're currentlt relying on Guidetti, a player getting used to playing on the wing and a centre back. That's not good.

12. murphy88

Johansen has been our best player for the past month mate. We have created an absolute barrow load of chances in recent games. Creativity hasn't been a problem in recent games, it's been converting the chances. Would you have Commons right wing over Forrest?

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And Commons couldn't be a way to solve that problem?

14. murphy88

Where would you play him, and who would you drop?

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    On the right and whoever is currently playing on the right. Whether that is McGregor, Tonev, Griffiths or Forrest.

16. murphy88

I would have Forrest over him, and I'm not a huge fan of Forrest.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think Commons has proven himself to be better for us and Forrest will be injured in a couple of weeks anyway.

Would you play McGregor, Tonev or Griffiths over him?

18. murphy88

If Forrest was injured, then I wouldn't be against Commons playing wise right. However, in a system where we are looking to press, and play with high intensity, which I think we have started to see in recent games, Forrest fits that more than Commons.

19. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

If James Forrest can stay fit(big if, I know) Then he has to be on that right side. He has to be.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think in a game of football, where you need to score goals to win, Commons fits far more but we'll leave it at that.

Nobody 'has to be' anything, if he proves himself he brings more to the table than Commons then play him. Simple as that for me.

Right now ai think Commons brings more to the table, mainly goals and assists. Forrest brings a bit of directness and pace but nowhere near the end product.