1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kris Commons

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by z1c0, Apr 28, 2014.

Discuss Kris Commons in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

The way I look at it, what players in our team can perform equally in Europe as they do domestically. The three players you mentioned I would all include. I would also say Lustig, Mulgrew, Izaguirre, Matthews are also players whose performance don't really dip. I would say others struggle to make the step up, and don't have anywhere near the same impact in Europe as they do domestically. I don't think it's any surprises that the majority are attack mided players either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Whats the dilemma !! I would extend his contract and keep him til he retires.

3. Green Socks

Might be nailing myself to the cross here but I can see where the OP is coming from on this.

Sell him now while he's at his prime and use the money to buy someone who will be effective in the CL? Makes sense to me.

Saying that, I would always be sad to see Commons go and I feel like we must still have enough money to bring in someone for the big CL night instead of commons. I would rather we kept him at least for the qualifiers and domestic games where he is invaluable.

4. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Or keep him full stop. Use him where his strengths are - domestically?
    He may be past his prime in years, but he still has something to give imho.
    Like has been mentioned before he could get a coaching role with the kids as he has a few qualities that no-one else in this squad at the moment has. He could be a valuable asset to our youth set-up i reckon.

5. celtic warrior

I to can see where the OP is coming from honestly.

Granted our whole team was a bit of let down this season in the CL but that what did we expect when VVD was still settling, our enforcer Wanyama had gone and our goal getter Hooper ship out also?.

To me Wanyama was the most glaringly obvious miss in team in the CL as with him in the side it allowed others a little more freedom especially for Brown who was trying to cover far more of pitch in CL with Wanyama absent.

The thing is if there was a way we could use a formation that meant Commons could be granted more time and space due to other "threats" in our team I'd like to think his uncanny ability to get goals from nothing would transfer over from domestic to CL, however at CL level managers and players are wiser to players like him and know how to contain him so I don't see that happening unless we had a starting line up that involved players like Stokes, Griffiths, Commons Johansen or another agile and mobile striker as between Johansen, Stokes and Griffiths I think there is enough vision and movement from those guys to help draw defenders which could help Commons out.

This season teams got wise to our one dimensional Sammy play which meant our creative player Commons was taken out of games.

Who knows? depending on what happens with Leigh and how Balde, Pukki or even Watt come along or any new signing comes in, perhaps it just might mean Commons won't be totally marked out of games and can start replicating some of the goals in CL.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Kris Commons isn't the problem, it's the fact that we'll be on the back foot in CL games often, having to defend, and this leaves Kris with few chances to show his skills. He could be useful with his deadly long-range shots actually, since we'll have to take any opportunity that comes.

7. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    what dilemma?

hes arguably the most football intelligent player we have, theres nothing wrong with his first touch, and you dont need bags of pace to be effective in europe if the team's style of play can accomodate it

cant say ive seen xavi struggle much over the last couple of seasons and hes hardly the paciest

8. murphy88

They play totally different roles though.

Along with the fact that Xavi is one of the best midfielders in the world.

9. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    still doesnt change the fact that pace isnt a necessity for CL, which is one of the sticks people are trying to beat commons with

im not saying he's up there with xavi, but hes the best midfielder we have, and yet hes the one that needs to be moved on? we should be looking at moving on a few other players well before we even think about moving on commons

10. murphy88

I'm not saying he needs moved on. Far from it. I want him here. However, it is mainly for domestic fixtures I want him for, and CL Qualifiers. I don't think he can play in the role he currently is, and make the step up against the top teams in Europe. His best work in the Group Stages last year was done in a defensive way, but his role in the team has changed now. He is in the team to make things happen at the other end of the park predominantly, and I feel he struggles to have a big impact in that sense.

11. Markybhoy

Interesting questions you raise. I have been pondering this situation all season long and the conclusion I have come to is that I would sell Commons. This is dependant on two conditions being met though:

1. An English Premier League team actually make an offer for him. You can't sell a player nobody wants and I doubt Commons would have much interest in going back to a Championship club.

2. We sign a replacement who is of a higher quality than Commons. If we're not going to replace Commons with a better player then there's no point in selling him.

If those two conditions could be met I would thank him for all he's done for the club and sell him without a second thought. He's 31 now so he's not going to get any better. He will only diminish as a player from this point onwards. Given that he's just won the Player of the Year award up here, this summer might be the optimum time to sell him.

12. z1c0

So if I was to ask you now just before January, sell or keep?

13. Sonny7

Definitely keep

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

15. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I like him but there is no way I'd be giving him the 3 year contract he is asking for. I'd try to get half a million in January.

16. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
  17. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys
    Id lick custard cream crumbs out a junkies arsecrack to keep him here

18. davidhannah

Had Delia started with Commons against Maribor we might still be playing in the Champions League.

I think he's wasting Commons, 31 goals last season, European goals come to mind with Commons, Karagandy, Helsingborgs, Zagreb, Spartak, there's probably another one as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if they move him on, however, they let Samaras leave for Jo Inge Berget!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  19. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    Elfsborg

20. Farmer

Sell.