1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Jun 8, 2019.

Discuss Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Dodgy left back that nearly cost Scotland 3 points.

2. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

How do we know if Tierney was playing for a club like Liverpool every week that he wouldn't do just as well for them? For me saying Roberston is better because of the level of opposition he regularly comes up against is conjecture. We simply don't know if Tierney would be better, the same or worse if he came up against similar level opposition on a weekly basis.

All I'm doing is looming at their attributes. Roberston has amazing energy and ability to get up and down the flank almost effortless while being astute at both the offensive and defensive sides of the game, I think Tierney is better in the technical department, a better tackler, is a better passer and in general a better all-rounder when it comes to being a full-back.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. Jeremie Frimpong

It is worth remembering that Robertson is three years older than Tierney, and at a different stage of development.

Robertson might be the better player just now, but I think that Tierney is a more rounded player, with a higher ceiling. (I, naturally, see Tierney play much more often than I see Robertson play, but that is my impression.)

Like Van Dijk, I have no doubt that Tierney would take to the highest level like a fish to water.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Harsh timing of the thread when KT has been * for most of the season gone and Robertson is just off the back of his best season winning the Champions League a week ago..

Robertson clearly just now but KT has time on his side and I truly believe can be a better player than Robertson..

KT is a fantastic player in full flow and providing injuries don't * him over, then he'll eventually go all the way..

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Robertson is world class, said it for a while now.

KT has the potential to get there, the fact he has an older role model will only benefit Celtic long term.

Robbo just now though, no argument.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Robertson is a better player going forward, KT is a better left back all round. Both incredible talents, but Tierney is ours :34:

7. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Right now Robertson but if KT moves to EPL we might see a different outcome

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He actually did, surprised he escaped a slaughtering for it. Could see that corner coming towards him the whole time and never even made an attempt at headering it and nearly cost the team 2 points, * in the air or not if he jumped at it he'd have stopped the goal.

9. Hail_hail6767

Tierney has better potential in honesty but will he still have it? if he leaves he bleeds green his focus could be lost.

10. celtic warrior

KT will * on Robertson as the years go by.

There is a real leader and quality in KT yet to be harnessed, what's depressing is that to see that he'd probably have to go to a Liverpool or Man City and get coached by the likes of Pep and Klopp.

He's quick and powerful, hard in a tackle, he's not as bad as people make out with his ball retention but will accept Robertson is a fantastic crosser. Robertson has * like Mane/Salah to partner with, KT has Sinclair.

11. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    KT for me, although Robertson is a great player. Typical Scotland though, wait ages for some top players and end up with 2 left backs.

12. ORIGINALS

I think you've got to be utterly delusional to think Tierney is better.

Skelleto likes this.
  13. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Robertson at the moment by some distance.

Tierney has the potential to get there though. Needs to rest and recuperate so his recovery now is key. He's totally burned out after the last three seasons.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    For me they are a similar level.

Tierney is more naturally defensive, a smart defender, good in the tackle, rarely beaten or caught out of position. Robertson doesn't have much defensive ability, he is quick enough to chase people but his positioning or ability to stop a player running at him isn't anything great.

Tierney is a more natural dribbler and controls the ball a bit better and can carry a ball on the run and beat people, uses his right foot more. Robertson has more basic control of the ball, very one footed and his style is more to kick the ball and run on to it. It's why Tierney was able to go to right-back for games.

They both have pretty good vision for picking people out in the box and end product and are both better crossers and passers than the average full-back. Tierney usually prefers to run into the box and his style is more to take the ball down towards the corner flag and then try and 1-2 or dribble his way in and go for cutbacks. Robertson mostly goes for long range high crosses from the 18 yard line or further back or his style of getting into/around the box is usually to run off the ball on the overlap rather than carry the ball on a run himself. Partly the way they play though is just the set ups of their teams and opponents.

Both are pretty poor in the air, Tierney contests more headers and gets stuck in a little more probably but still quite * in the air.

I think if you swapped them teams neither team would be much/any different, Tierney would probably adapt to making more off the ball runs into space since he'd be playing more open football and Mane in front of him attacts men and rarely stays on the left. For us Robertson wouldn't be tested much defensively and would probably adapt to running with the ball more since he'd need to as theres not much space to run into. Main difference would be Robertson would probably make more runs into the box and get more shots away than Tierney if he played for us and Tierney if he played for Liverpool would probably help them a bit more to hang on to leads or defend when they are in front as he is more difficult to beat and defensively reacts and copes better.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  15. Jeremie Frimpong

This is a fair assessment of the two, and I think that this part is a fantastic point!

16. SkyeCelt

Tierney has been run in to the ground. He's not anywhere near Robertson this season but that's more a question of fitness. Tierney has the potential to reach where Robertson is in the game. People talk about Celtic tinted glasses. Tierney needs to take his off if he wants to fulfill his potential as that's not going to happen playing in Scotland and occasional games against good European sides.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you removed Robertson from Liverpool they would lose a massive creative outlet and wouldn’t be anywhere near as dangerous down the left.

Also, anyone suggesting KT needs to or should leave is for the watching. Henrik was world class at Celtic, the precedent is there - you don’t have to play anywhere else to achieve it.

18. SkyeCelt

At that time we could afford to pay comparable wages to the big clubs in England and the Scottish league was better. Tierney is not world class and he isn't going to be if he stays in Scotland, his development will be stunted.

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Both great players, no question about that, Robertson deserves all the plaudits he's gettin, the guy has worked hard and so has KT.

I'll always be wearing the green tinted specs, so for me KT shades it. :celt_2: :50:

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No one's mentioned it and this isn't to take anything away from Robertson who I rate, but...

Van Dijk plays directly the one inside him. The best centre half in the world. The centre half who has had not one, not one player dribble past him this year. Just think about that..

That allows Robertson the freedom to go and express his self going forward in the knowledge that not one single player will skin Van Dijk as the left central defender..

Robertson has shown for Scotland numerous time's that he can be cut open and isn't that defensively sound..

Just adding a bit of balance. Put a fit and firing KT left back for Liverpool beside Van Dijk with Mane ahead and Milner or whoever protecting in midfield....maybe he wouldn't be quite as good as Robertson has been this season at a high level....but don't think he'd be too far off..