1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Kevin Doyle

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by McManus4, Mar 19, 2013.

Discuss Kevin Doyle in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Slippyfist

We have no one there who is required to do that when it is called for.

We also waste an exceptional amount of cross balls because none of our strikers are particularly good at heading the ball.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don't want an up and comer, I want experience. It's what we need.

Kevin Doyle is still of an age were he can turn it back around and have a strong finish to his career.

3. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We already have Watt for that, who I think will turn into a much better player.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He is also better than just a big man to lob the ball up to.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Indeed.

As has been proven in the past.

I'm sure the same people who are negative against this move happening would be the same people telling us to trust in Lennon's judgement if he singed a relative/complete unknown.

6. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    Sammy can head it. I want to see us playing attractive football anyway, not playing for knock downs from a big man up front. If Hopper goes, I want someone similar to replace him.

I disagree, he's never done anything in his career and the main reason most people on here like him is he's Irish. I'm not aiming that at you in particularly but I think it's a valid point.

7. Mr. Slippyfist

Of course Samaras can head it, but that would generally mean having to play him through the middle - which is obviously not his best position.

Why do you assume that we wouldn't be able to play attractive football with Doyle up front?

Technically when Samaras is playing, every goal kick is aimed up to him......is that not just "lumping it up" as you say?

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That attitude really does my nut in by the way, absoltely does my nut in. Just because someone is Irish doesn't mean that Celtic fans rate him.

Darren O'Dea, Darryl Murphy, Niall McGinn and co are a long line of players to prove that idea wrong.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Never done anything in his career? What.....apart from play (and score) in the highest league in England and represent his country over 50 times? Aye.....not much there.

And as for that comment about only liking him cause' he's Irish........well that's very disappointing to see that coming from you.

:38:

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Don't forget Cillian Sheridan :rolleyes:

You expect to hear that garbage from non-Celtic fans........not your own lot.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Theres a lot of younger versions of Kevin Doyle in the Championship and League 1. Chris Wood, Dwight Gayle, James Vaughan, Steven Davies, Troy Deeney and some who weve probably missed out on now Jordan Rhodes, Matej Vydra, Charlie Austin.

There are other Irish forwards in the same League as him with the same or more goals Darryl Murphy, Conor Sammon, Jamie Ward, Andy Keogh. Not that it shows theyre as good or better but shows how much hes declined.

Id rather gamble on Paddy Madden, Will Grigg or Jake Cassidy who have scored well in League 1.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Kevin Doyle fits the model that we need right now for me.

He is 29, vastly experienced, He can be a backs to the wall player when needed, he is a fighter, he can hold the ball up, he can score (despite a few rough seasons), he can occupy defenders, over half a century of International appearences and a lot of experience in a very good league.

It is exactly what I want Celtic to do in the summer, add experience in amongst our youth. Experience irons out inconsistancy.

13. CurlyWurly1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Get him here, i think he would do well.

14. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's decent. Whether he would score enough up here is something which would only be proven when/if he came; he's not exactly ever been a properly prolific scorer (by which I mean at least a ratio of 1 in 2, which he never has managed). Though he has accumulated decent strike rates in the past, these seem to be getting lower season by season - which is not to say a move wouldn't bring him a new lease of life. He is very good in the air anyway, which is something we still don't have despite the glaringly obvious gap for it for the past few seasons. Style of play could suit the SPL.

Wouldn't be averse to the idea, put it that way.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think he'd have fitted into the model of Strachan but I just dont see any need for him.

He wouldnt help us much in Europe and we dont need him in the SPL, id imagine hed want to come straight in at £25k a week as well, when we usually buy in at £10-15k a week and he would have no sell on value.

16. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    Playing in the Premier League isn't an 'achievement', his team got relegated!

He represents Ireland who aren't exactly littered with world class options.

As for liking him because he's Irish, I think it's a fair enough point, we're all proud of where we come from, but I want to see the best players play for Celtic, and I think a lot of the time people can be afraid/unwilling to criticise the Irish players we are linked with or have on our books. How many chances did O'Dea get? And he was one of the worst centre backs we've had in my lifetime, who we could hardly give away! The same goes for Scottish players by the way.

17. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd also prefer Charlie Austin, for what it's worth.

18. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Completely agree. I love Stokesy, but he gets injured a heck of a lot, and sometimes just generally looks less fit than he should be.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I meant the on pitch model. He isn't needed for the SPL? * me our performances in the SPL and cups this season is the reason we need experience in there.

I doubt he would come in at £25k a week, more like £15k now. I'm not to bothered about the financial aspects there though, bringing in experience helps develop our younger players into more rounded players. Which helps there sell on value.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

You are suggesting that people only want to see him here because he's Irish - which is bollocks. He is a good player and has played well on the international stage for plenty of years - and all of what Devlin has said mirrors my opinion on him.

As for O'Dea - * him. He was * and is an *.

The amount of chances he got was down to the manager(s) alone - not us "we only want to like Irish players" gang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.