1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jota.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Jota. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    That's a bit harsh imo. He was very good imo against Shaktar. Should have scored though.

2. Luz1904

I seen some discussions regarding a potential call up to the Portuguese national team, so this might be of interest.

Rafa Silva (Benfica, 29y left winger) was included in the Portuguese squad for the upcoming Nations League games but decided to announce his retirement from international football. One less player ahead of Jota. Gonçalo Ramos (Benfica, 21y striker) was called to replace him.

Wingers and strikers that are currently in the Portuguese squad: Diogo Jota (Liverpool), Pedro Neto (Wolverhampton), Rafael Leão (Milan), Ricardo Horta (Braga), João Félix (Atlético), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) and Gonçalo Ramos (Benfica). Bernardo Silva (Manchester City) and João Mário (Benfica), also part of the squad, can play in the midfield or upfront.

craigtheceltic and Benzene like this.
  3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Those mazy runs v Shakhtar, bangs one of them in and he’s probably in with a big chance. Needs to convert at CL level to convince the higher powers he’s the right guy for the job.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He was the talk of the summer but when Jota officially signed for Celtic on a permanent contract it was head down and back to work for the winger.

This season he has started with a bang, with four goals and four assists to his name so far in the league, and with shining performances in the Champions League.

Before the season got properly underway, the Portuguese star sat down for an exclusive interview with the brand new 100-page edition of the Celtic View, discussing the Champions League, his ambitions with the club, and tells why he decided to return.

While fans were waiting to see if Jota would sign during the summer, one thing they were certain about during the off-season was the excitement of seeing Celtic back in the group stages of the Champions League.

The biggest clubs and the best players returning to Paradise for the first time in five years was the reward for winning last season’s league title, whetting the appetites of Hoops supporters throughout the world.

For the players in the Celtic side, it’s an opportunity to go up against the best on the biggest club stage and test themselves against the world’s elite.

Jota is one player with Champions League experience, playing in the competition for Benfica as a 20-year-old.

Getting to stand in the line-up and hear that anthem was an emotional experience for the winger and re-signing for Celtic meant experiencing that all over again.

He said: “First of all what I can say about the Champions League is that it’s very fast, teams play very fast football.

“It will be nice to be back in it and our idea of the game is already fast and intense so we will be fine on that aspect.

“Then it’s just all about the quality because the best teams and the best clubs will be there and there are not many mistakes.

“The best teams are the ones that can score the most with the smallest amount of opportunities, so we need to be clinical and we need to enjoy every game because playing Champions League is something that every kid dreams about.

'I dreamed about it when I was young and right now I will have it again and I’m so excited to play in front of these fans and for this shirt.'

“I would have to say I got quite emotional when I walked on to the pitch for the first time and listened to the Champions League anthem when I made my debut, that was a very emotional moment for me and my family.

“I’ve never missed a Champions League weekday since I was a kid, so it’s just tremendously proud for me and my family and I just want to keep on delivering and have these amazing experiences because we don’t know what tomorrow brings.”

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That list is meaningless as soon as you see McGregor’s not on it.

Keano88, Rydo1888*, JamesM09 and 2 others like this.
  7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He came off the pitch against madrid muttering to himself after a poor performance - it looks very much like the realisation that he still has a long way to go to shine at that level has knocked his confidence - Needs to get his * finger out; nowhere near what we know he can produce in recent games

Sentinel likes this.
  8. Keano88

Assisted both goals basically.

Thought he was one of the better players today but yeah not firing on all cylinders like he was a month or so ago.

honda likes this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He had off patches last season aswel. That's what happens with under experienced young flair players.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Outwith the goal I thought he was bang average again in the CL. Isn’t tracking back and helping Taylor out enough and up against a full back with good pace is really struggling.

We need him to be that out ball that takes the pressure off and gets you up the pitch but on the flanks tonight we just didn’t have that.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Lewis Kerr

His finish was class but he's definitely been disappointing in the CL so far. Just looks really slow and non threatening against most of the full backs he comes up against.

I'm not one of those "Jota is * in Europe" people because he was class in the group stages of the EL last year. I think it's harder for attackers to replicate domestic form at a higher level though and he's been a victim of that so far. The CL and EL are worlds apart.

MAP likes this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Other than the goal, he was poor. Looked to be out of gas on 55min. Some of his tracking back was just token effort stuff.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't even seen him in the first 50. That we sprint for the goal must have tired him out.

15. celtic20

Poor last night but makes his mark with the goal. I do agree with the lack of defensive work he's putting in, especially with so many teams able to double-up down the right when they attack Taylor.

Need a big, big performance from him in the next 2 games at Celtic Park. Leipzig and Donetsk are both beatable if Jota and the rest are on their game.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

His celebrations pish. I want a player to go * wild. Rip the flag up, rip yer top off or something. I want pure emotion... otherwise good goal.

17. Keano88

He’s not turned up in the CL yet tbh.

I thought he’d play a blinder against a CB playing RB but the boy got the better of him all night really.

Needs to bring his A-game for the two home games if we’re to have any chance of qualifying.

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Off at ht today any word if it's an injury or what

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

19. Al Bootyerbaws

Ange said after the game he's fine he was just giving him a rest.

20. Jeffrey

That guy who’s ment to be a CB was unbelievable to be fair. Maybe their best player behind Nkunku. The pass for their 3rd was just silly stuff.