1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

Knocked out by Cluj, won the league cup by a miracle, and then lost to the huns at New Year at Celtic Park. Our run after Dubai funnily enough was very good, and the group stages of the Europa was very impressive, but then we got embarrassed at home by Copenhagen. The level of performance from when Lennon took over until the end of the season went up a notch, but I wouldn’t say we had a drastic upturn from Rodgers time in charge.

The longer Lennon and Kennedy were in charge, the players got worse. Every single player from Rodgers time got worse. That is down to coaching is it not?

Slaw, seanm and Lewis Kerr like this.
  2. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Defending set pieces was comedy gold last season. Didn't take long for opposition coaches to work out the weak link.

It could be argued that this was not only Kennedy's responsibility. Lennon was in charge, and let it happen.

JamesM09, seanm and Slaw like this.
  3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I think most fans know Lennon is also to blame mate, even more so IMO as he was the head man.

Even though the above is true we do have some daftys that think Kennedy is the defensive coach :56:

4. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I guess the Kennedy debate is similar to the Lennon debate, not everyone agreed on wether Lennon should get sacked. Both have had times at the club that were trophy laden ect.

It’s pretty evident he wants a management gig and was hoping to get the Celtic job, i think we can all agree he isn’t good enough for that.

5. murphy88

I think it’s daft to think Kennedy has not played a major part in our defensive set up in all honesty. Given the fact he was a centre half.

6. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I never said he didn't take a part in it as he was the coach under Lennon. He would take part in aspects of coaching each part of the team. He is NOT the defensive coach, which some people have been saying.

7. john2061

Who is the defensive coach or do we even have one after losing goals from set pieces every game .

8. murphy88

It’s not his title, but he will have been responsible for a lot of things to do with the defence. Just because it isn’t his title, it doesn’t excuse all responsibility. He admitted after the Malmö game years ago he was a big part in it.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We were scoring more and conceding less over the course of the full season. We had a dip around Christmas but we outscored Rodgers 2nd full season.

I disagree with that majorly, do you think guys like Eddy were better the last 6 months of Rodgers last season rather than the 9 season? Thought it was by far his best form. Best goalscoring season anyway, and the year got caught short.

Infact even in that post you say we were better after Christmas than at the start, after they’d been with Lenny for a while? We had an absolute fall off the cliff last year.

10. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    All 3 coaches will have been responsible for all parts of coaching. I'm not sticking up for Kennedy just saying he isn't the defensive coach.

11. murphy88

How was Edouard at the end up of Lennon’s time in charge? He was a shadow of the player he was under Rodgers. What about McGregor? Rogic? Christie? I wouldn’t include Brown because age caught up with him, that happens to every player. When Lennon finished, as I said, ever player had regressed.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Like I said, fell off a cliff. Also think both Eddy and McGregor had their best seasons for Celtic his first season back.

13. JamesM09

I blame all the coaching team in order of seniority to be honest.

I don’t even assume it was Kennedy’s direct responsibility but if you’re on that training ground and for 30+ weeks you’re not doing something to address that you’re a bad coach IMO.

14. RockhardBoss

Look at the * players and the different defensive combinations this season. You could have the best set piece coach in the world but if you stick Kenny, Laxalt, Bain, Bitton and Duffy in there to defend it, it might not matter.

15. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    No buying that. We were losing goals from set pieces to teams who were utter dross. But were well drilled. Something we were definitely not. No organisation whatsoever. At times it was almost too easy for the opposition. Whilst our players had no clue what the * was goin on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. RockhardBoss

It is easier to set up routines for attacking set pieces. When defending you need to react in real time to offensive routines of movement and blocking in the box. You need good player that are switched on. We didn't have a settled keeper and 3 loan players rotating in our defence. Ajer has been our only constant in defence and, for his size, he doesn't dominate in the air when defending the box.

There might well be better coaching to be done but you also need to factor in just how poor the quality of players have been in our defence this season.

17. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The drop in fitness levels more than anything that showed a lack this season, look back to Rodgers second season, the players were the fittest they have ever been, it would be 70 mins in, the opponents would be blowing out their arsed and we'd be fine, this season we have been * by the 40th minute, the fitness levels have been * atrocious. That's coaching 101, get * fit and stay fit. Then work on the technical stuff

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Lennys chips n irn bru was brought back in the canteen then.

19. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Both essential items for a hangover

20. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sickens me to see this * waltz back into Lennoxtown this morning after the disastrous season he played a large part of, zero shame, nothing but a leech, him and Strachan Jr can't be allowed to be part of the dugout come the first game of pre season