1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Did anyone else notice we were actually training with balls again? I feel like I never saw that in any of the Lennon training montages/videos on Instagram etc

2. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    JK to the end of the season suggests no one is on their radar..Clean sweep needed though,let JK and Strachan go too..Martinez/Maloney partnership anyone? Roy Keane? Scotland Manager?

3. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s the 21st century Tommy Craig

plenty of praise when the goings good and hangs around like a bad Penny to see off his gaffer.

his demeanour on the touch line this season has been disgraceful.

a sympathy appointment in the first place and seeing him in that dugout along with Stig of the Dumps wee brother with the laptop offends me.

4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I don't think you're wrong, but if not him then who?

Other options would have been one of the youth so O'dea or McManus? Or someone that was currently out if a job that would have needed very little in the way or arranging things so wouldn't have been an instant Eddie howe etc

5. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    He better not even be considered as permanent manager.

6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Kennedy should do himself a favour and use the games we have left to introduce some young players with potential.

martin_d likes this.
  7. SuperZidane

I think that's the big worry. I was resigned to Lennon being there until the end of the season but hoped (probably delusional) that the club were making plans for the summer.

If the object was to give Kennedy a chance, it should have been done 4 months ago.

I really don't understand why its happened now - it implies that they hadn't been lining up anyone to come in June.

If they really only decided that Lennon had to go this week, the worry is that, if Kennedy does OK, they'll give him the job. The "best" case scenario seems to be that they won't give it to Kennedy but are only starting to look around for a new manager now.

cat123 likes this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The only way I could see him as manager is it Ronaldo and messi walk out on there contracts and decide to team up and play for free for Kennedy. In other words, its no happening so chill.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. murphy88

Not really surprised by this. The worry would be that if he wins every game from now on in, then the board decide to give it to him on a permanent basis. You would think that would be out of the question, but given what has happened this season and the way the board have dealt with Lennon, or not dealt with him, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they did opt for Kennedy. He needs emptied along with Strachan at the end of the campaign.

11. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    So if we see a massive improvement in our defence, play attractive open flowing football. Integrates a few of the youngsters who are a revelation, and wins every game including the two against that manky lot? Why shouldn`t he be considered?
    Sometimes being the number two is hard, because your boss may not always agree with your observations etc.

Lets wait and see.

I personally don`t think all of the above will happen, but time will tell.

I personally feel for this club to progress, we have to go with someone who has a reputation already in management, and command the respect of the players from the off.

No disrespect to JK, but if any agent is currently getting a phone call from him enquiring about one of their players, apart from the mention of Celtic, does he have the reputation and stature for the conversation to go much further?

JML67, Mickmac and King of Kings like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He should’ve been given the reigns in January immediately after the Sevco defeat. It would’ve given him a chance to actually put a stamp on things, make a case for himself, and for us to really see what he’s all about.

Giving him 10 games when the league is already lost isn’t going to do much good for anyone, although I understand that Lennon had to go and a replacement had to be found. Feel a bit for a Kennedy here, because he seems to be in a no-win situation.

JML67 and Mickmac like this.
  13. murphy88

I think we would see a big improvement regardless of who we bring in. A fresh face 9 times out of 10 will get a reaction out of any team. Prime example is Nigel Pearson. Went to Watford and turned them around massively, however after a while it went downhill and they ended up going down. Now he has went to Bristol City, a team who have been getting skelped all over the shop, then they go to Middlesbrough last night and win. We have got a good squad of players, and I wouldn't be surprised if we did go on a run from now until the end of the season and win every game, we have the players to do it. It wouldn't mean Kennedy is the right man for the job though in my opinion. He isn't ready to step up and manage us on a permanent basis.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think it could merit him a place somewhere at Celtic but not manager, as you say new manager syndrome is common. If the team start to show some shape and style then it probably means he can bring something to the table. Although my honest expectations are similar to the rest of the season

15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It would depend on aspects other than just results. Are we playing good football, are we winning comfortably and with style, are we more solid in defence, if we're struggling in a game especially against the huns has he changed things to turn the game around? If he does all of those things then he probably should get the job. I can't see it happening but it's just daft to say he shouldn't get the job whatever happens.

jafa likes this.
  16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'll be watching with interest to see if there's any notable improvement in our defensive structure while he's in charge. We can finally get to see if it's been his fault all along, as many seem to believe, should things stay exactly the same with the same mistakes being made, or his advice/ideas have been getting ignored if they improve.

Although I'm not sure what it says if they somehow manage to get worse...

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You've kinda answered your own rhetoric bud.

We have been there and seen it all before with a manager coming in as interim and doing well, then gets the job and full time he is a mess.
    Literally the one who has just vacated the role (more so his first stint).

Kennedy may win every game 5-0 and bring in Connell etc who are brilliant. But long term he has no evidence or experience to be able to manage a squad over the course of a season and under pressure that we expect. It is one thing to bounce on from a depressing season with just 8 games to go - it is another to actually implement a structure and squad routine over the long course.

AdamRS likes this.
  18. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I know you're exaggerating for effect and I'm no great advocate for Kennedy - I'm not expecting much. But if he won every game 5-0 he would get the job and rightly so. He might not have managed a team over the course of a season himself but he's seen how it's done under quite a few managers now. I don't expect or particularly want him to get the job but if he's a revelation in the next 8 games then he would deserve it.

Peej likes this.
  19. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    This is not the club or job to learn as you go along , gut feeling he is in the wrong place at the wrong time ! .
    Nobody is feart of playing Celtic at the moment and unfortunately we look * feart of everybody .

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, to be honest if the above was true I would even find it hard to dismiss the notion. But on paper/theory as we stand just now, we should not be operating on a "lets see how Kennedy does" mindset.
    We need bigger, better, more experienced etc.

murphy88 and Mickmac like this.