1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

So is he * or no bad this month. Suppose it depends if we are winning or not eh. Best defence in the league tho, so when he was hammered for it being shoddy does he take some credit now.

broonieboy, Sean Daleer and Damnati like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * him..

3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * him in the ear

4. Foley1888

The one thing you can say was he totally failed to get anything from the team last year when he took over from Lennon. He didn’t even really try anything different or other players in the squad.

If that was an interview or audition to take the main job at a point in the future he was miles of it.

As a coach a lot of players have had good things to say particularly around his attention to detail.

The other thing I found odd was when
    Rodgers left, he didn’t even mention to John he was going far less try take him as well.
    That’s not a great endorsement given how many others he did take with him.

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    He just sat there a put the boot into Ronnys tactics, unbelievable patter from a guy whose own tactics were fished out of Lennons bin when he was given the reigns.

The * neck on him to criticize ANY manager.

Ppl talk about deadwood at the club.

Guy is rotten, seagull * stained, * driftwood.

6. Maestro 08

I don't really get the hate for him. I'm not his greatest fan but I don't thing anyone knows enough about him to be so vitriolic in their anger at him. The biggest gripe people seem to have is he hasn't left us to go elsewhere. Not leaving when Rodgers jumped ship, was heralded at the time now his loyalty is a stick to beat him with. Bizarre. Yet here we are with a manger that now seems to have autonomy over what goes on and Kennedy is still in the building.

I think we can all agree Ange doesn't suffer fools. If Kennedy lasts under his reign then it will be because he is an asset, case closed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Damnati and Sean Daleer like this.
  7. JamesM09

I think the biggest gripe people have is the absolute dogshit job he did when he had the reigns last season. Wasn't it 10 games?

I get that people try to say he's a coach and not a manager but * having a coach that high up in your team that produces that kind of performance when given control.

8. Maestro 08

Kennedy was getting pelters before that, let's not pretend. Everyone else seems to get a free pass under the Lennon cloud. Yeah it wasn't great but for the limited time he had, with a squad falling apart then I'll not judge him too harshly.

If he's as toxic and incapable as people seem to think then this manager will find him out.

9. JamesM09

Lennon hinted or implied a few times that Kennedy had a significant role in the tactics and how the team played. That's why he got a lot of stick for how we were playing under Lennon - it was assumed Kennedy was very much culpable. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest there was just random hate for Kennedy. Whether the speculation was right or wrong, that's where the criticism came from.

On this very thread I, and many others, were prepared to be proven wrong if Kennedy came out and made some decent changes to the team when he was put in charge. The fact he kept it 99% the same suggested it was his tactics all along, or at least he had significant input. It was even suggested that he could cynically change the team just to highlight he wasn't in agreement with Lennon's dogshit mess of a system.

Ultimately, he changed nothing and we continued to play like *, leading to some pretty awful performances and embarrassing results. Rightly or wrongly, that's the primary reason why he's disliked by most of the supporters who dislike him.

To an extent you are right that a secondary reason is the way he's hung about after such an appalling performance. Personally, what annoys me is he owes his entire coaching career to a board that has been awful for this club and our support. I don't like having someone that high up owing so much to our board. See Lennon's disgusting praise for the board as an example of why it's a bad idea.

10. Maestro 08

I don't think last season was solely down to tactics alot of players had checked out or struggled mentally. Christie has spoken openly about this.

Of course he had a role to play in the tactics I would be shocked if any assistant manager didn't but ultimately Lennon was the manager and the buck stops with him.

Any management positions links to the failed 10 bid seems to be a target but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone is useless.

I've heard too many positive things about him from players and staff now outside the club to just dismiss him as incompetent or a dud.

That's all by the by now though as I think we have a manger that will get shot of him if he's as bad as some people think. Hopefully we can agree on that.

tarboltontim likes this.
  11. JamesM09

I'm not arguing for or against any of this right now to be honest. All I'm saying is the primary reason people don't like Kennedy is the perception that he's tactically hopeless. It may or may not be accurate but it's certainly a reasonable opinion based on the evidence we have.

It's not random hate as some people suggest.

12. Maestro 08

I've had my gripes with him as well. As much as I don't want to chase good people out the club I equally don't want bad eggs hanging around either. The problem is, I and probably everyone else outside the club don't really know which category he falls in to.

I'm hoping that under this manager we will find out.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The root of it all was Ronny Deila throwing him under the bus. People turned on him after that.

Maestro 08 and Sean Daleer like this.
  14. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    We still look ropey as * from set pieces. Why the * has no been sorted out?? Let’s no also pretend durin the europa we conceded the (2nd?) most goals of all teams in the competition.
    But aye, we’re fine.
    He should’ve been cut loose in the summer and we should’ve started with a clean slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    …. Are you one of these guys that think’s he’s ‘the defensive coach’?

Maestro 08 and Fontaine like this.
  16. Maestro 08

We're def not great but I was trying to highlight some of the extreme opinions we get on here and the fickle nature of some of the support that always want to scapegoat someone. Facts can't deny we have the best defence in the league but when it suited people he was prime suspect number one for our leaky defence. But it's all gone quiet now we are doin not bad there. Ironically I suspect he prob has as much to do with defending as other coaches etc so he's neither fully to blame or to fully take the credit. 'Cut loose', yet our gruff, no fools suffered manager still has him sticking around. I'd take his opinion over yours and right now all we have to go on with JK is other people's reporting of him which seems to be pretty much, in the main, quite high.

17. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    That's harsh to attribute that to Kennedy. Conceding that many goals was a by-product of the way we were setting up in those matches. We scored a lot of goals too, including away from home, because we were taking the game to good opposition and playing an open style of football. And also undoubtedly because the players were very much still learning the system, how to defend as a group, etc. You'd like to think that if we played Betis away from home now and went 2 goals up, we'd be able to better maintain control of the game.

18. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    What was said?

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That set pieces weren’t his job and it was John Kennedy’s fault we were conceding from them.

Shocking management that for one, and two, people grasped on to it that even when Kolo Toure had that specific job he got the blame for it.

freederry20 likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The only thing I can find on that subject is quotes from John Kennedy saying he takes responsibility for the set pieces because he was largely responsible for the set up.