1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Hartson back to celtic ?

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Gaffney, May 1, 2007.

Discuss John Hartson back to celtic ? in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gaffney

Fav Celtic Player:
    JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    At the height of Celtic's celebrations on Sunday, Gordon Strachan extended an invitation to John Hartson, in Glasgow to analyse the Hearts game for Setanta Sports, to partake in the murderous bleep test' with his former team-mates.
    The manager's motivation may have been unclear, since it was relayed as an aside during an uncomfortable pitch-side interview with Stuart Lovell, but it has not stopped the Welsh striker from wondering if there was an earnest element to the unprompted comments.
    In an exclusive interview, Hartson revealed his willingness to return to Celtic even on a temporary basis to solve the club's goalscoring problems. Unable to force Tony Mowbray to abandon his footballing principles at West Bromwich Albion, Hartson also confirmed that the problems in his private life that necessitated his departure from Parkhead in the first place have since been soothed.
    advertisement

As he himself acknowledged on Sunday, a second successive coronation was achieved without any of the strikers coming close to the 20-goal mark. To the traditionalists among the support, such a statistic is unbecoming of a team renowned for playing football "the Glasgow Celtic way".
    The 32-year-old has 14 months of his contract left at the Hawthorns and Mowbray is unlikely to get in the way should one of his high earners choose to depart. With Kenny Miller and Maciej Zurawski likely to leave Celtic, Hartson could be an unlikely option for Strachan even if on a season-long loan.
    "I watched and listened to Gordon from the studio and at the time didn't really know what he meant," said the man who scored more than 100 goals in five years. "I would jump at the chance to rejoin Celtic - who wouldn't? I don't know if he was being serious but if he's looking for somebody who knows the Scottish scene and who can be relied upon to give his all then I would do whatever it takes.
    "I had to leave for personal reasons and at the time it was the only thing to do, but things have settled down now and the only problem is I'm not playing regularly."
    The private issue was a divorce from his wife, Lowrie, that followed a very public breakdown in their relationship. Unable to see his children, his wish to leave was granted. But emotionally galvanised after his despair, he is ready for a new challenge. A return to Celtic has unexpectedly become a curious possibility.
    Ironically, as one cornerstone of the Martin O'Neill era ponders a second coming, the remaining original members will take in their final Old Firm experience. Neil Lennon will lead Celtic out at Ibrox for the last time, having announced his decision to leave after almost seven years. Bobo Balde, who has been injured for much of the season, will watch from afar before a possible reunion with O'Neill at Aston Villa.
    Hartson revealed that his close relationship with Lennon endured despite many heated confrontations. He also confirmed that the midfield anchor was at his most serene in the moments before the madness of the intense Glasgow rivalry.
    "My abiding memory of Neil in those circumstances is that he was a winner but he was actually at his most relaxed before an Old Firm game," said Hartson. "With all the pressure that was on him, I never once saw him flustered in the dressing room before we played Rangers and if you look back, there are not too many games when he came off second best whether it was in confrontation with Barry Ferguson, Alex Rae or Gavin Rae.
    "He knew at Ibrox there were 45,000 baying for his blood but he was so calm, in much the way that Henrik Larsson was and in the same way I imagined Richard Gough to have been."
    It took a few false starts for Hartson to finally crack one of world football's fiercest derbies. A proposed move to Rangers infamously collapsed after a failed medical but after a slow start for Celtic in the fixture, the striker redeemed himself with nine goals.
    "You don't like to show the rest of the team that you are bothered or scared but those first seven or eight derbies I was absolutely crapping my pants," he recalled. "I have never shirked anything in my life and I'm always up for a good scrap on the pitch but I had butterflies and everything in the early days. I was so nervous because you are aware of the consequences of missing a chance or giving the ball away in a dangerous position.
    "After I got my goal, things changed for me and I scored some important ones in the league and cup for Celtic. In the end, I was as calm as Neil going into them."
    While Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's prowess has been punctured by a series of minor ailments, Miller has failed to pack a punch and Zurawksi has looked increasingly like a one-season wonder. Derek Riordan remains an enigma.
    Strachan's side have been reliant on Shunsuke Nakamura's expertise as well as intermittent goal spurts from Thomas Gravesen and Stephen McManus. Lennon's contribution has remained constant and despite questions over his squat appearance, Hartson commended the Northern Irishman's enduring qualities.
    He also went as far as to suggest that after years of animosity, the Rangers support - or at least an element therein - may make public their grudging admiration for the combustible character on the Ibrox leg of his farewell tour.
    "It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was clapped off by the Rangers fans," he said.
    "I know it sounds ridiculous but I think that both sides of the Old Firm appreciate when someone has made an impact over a long period of time. It may be grudging but when I left, I had Rangers fans come up and say I'm glad to see the back of you'.
    "As a player, he is very underrated and if he wants he can return to the Premiership no problem. He has a great appreciation of a pass. Some people don't recognise it because he does not play David Beckham passes over 70 yards but his team-mates do because he knows what kind of passes certain team mates like and he has a great variety of short passes.
    "We had our barneys, effing and blinding at each other throughout a game, but he was always the first one to come up to the bar after the game for a pint with you."

2. celticmad117

Fav Celtic Player:
    The holy goalie, arthur boruc
    Dont think we should be going to the past to solve are problems
    get a new younger stiriker to be the solution

3. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    I'll drive down to Birmingham to pick him up. :50:

Even if he was used sparingly as a sub he would score more than the useless c**ts we have at the moment.

4. Gaffney

Fav Celtic Player:
    JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hartson + kenny miller = goals :50:

Hartson + vennegoor = goals

Hartson = mcdonald = goals

Hartson can really go with anyone

5. Don Corleone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamuraaaaaa
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'd love to see BBJ come back!

6. T.D.

Fav Celtic Player:
    JOHN REID OUT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LET THE PEOPLE SING!!!
    If he comes back. Even for only a few games or for key moments at the end of matches. It would be * magnificent. Come back Hartson!!!!!!!!

7. GuitarBhoy

Gangland, Vancouver, BC, The Great White North
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic
    Dont think he should come back.
    He was great when he was with us, but time to get some new blood in.

8. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I like BBJ but we shouldn't bring him back

9. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    Wouldn't go out my way to get him. But a swap with Kenny Miller would be a good swap for us I feel.

10. Renegade T

Fav Celtic Player:
    Diego Samaradona
    I'll pay the petrol money :50:

Love to have the big man back

11. sco-ire1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    coming home
    we need younger strikers than him. too old now.

12. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:

We need strikers that score, age is irrelevant.

13. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

He is the man! yes please! I'll be dave's co-pilot :84:

14. jophismack

On a pavement thinkin' bout the government
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Skippy the huns hate ye noo-oooooo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He'd be worth having back on a year loan me think. Good back up for VOH who seems constantly injured. I would rather we got a younger guy in on a more permanent basis however.

The old romantic in me would love to see him back though. What a reception he would get on his first home game. Bring a tear to a gless eye it wid.:55:

15. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What make you think that BBJ can still be a 15-20 goal a season striker? A year for a 32+ player that doesnt have a natural fitness is a long time

16. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

he never had a natural fitness anyway :84:

but he had that famous scoring instinct.

17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yes. Would love to see the big man back.

18. Renegade T

Fav Celtic Player:
    Diego Samaradona
    A poll maybe ?

19. sco-ire1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    coming home
    exactly. and if he does score that many goals it will only be in the short term. we need to invest in a player that will be at the club for a number of years.

20. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:

So why not make it short term? A season long loan could be done. What a great sub he would be to bring on when you need a goal.

The guy is a goal scorer plain and simple, and he knows what the club is all about. I'd rather have him than Miller, Magic or Beattie.