1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Guidetti.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Sep 9, 2014.

Discuss John Guidetti. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Going by how Charlie Mulgrew spoke about Deila, I don't think Deila was totally clueless.

Random Review likes this.
  2. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I think "Good coach" is a polite way of saying he was a dumpling.
    The Si Ferry Meets interview with Mulgrew he asked him why Ronny failed. He said he only wanted to play one way and win one way.
    No back up plans and no desire. He said that might have been a translation issue but he doubts it.
    He was too nice for a club like ours. Lenny would * players and rip up the dressing room and make it clear he wanted performances and wins at all costs. Deila was more of 'keep going how we are it will come' type of manager.

3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Also the diet pish was completely untrue.

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This isn't true. He was the one who started the turnaround in Leigh Griffiths, for example. He would never have won the league with a small club in Norway with zero man management skills.

He was tactically naïve and inflexible in Europe; but that isn't the same as being tactically clueless.

He inherited a Celtic side in transition and was never properly backed (Lenny left for a reason- And no, I'm not arguing that he was as good as Lenny we both know he wasn't and indeed Brendan implied as much) and yet won 3 trophies, coming within a shocking "honest mistake" of a treble in his first year.

As for Brendan, the man is a class act who says what he means and means what he says. Of course he was never going to say that Ronny was rubbish; he would just not have stated any opinion on the man.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Which part of it was untrue?

6. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    He didn't turn around Griffiths though.
    That's a * myth.
    Griffiths was a goal scorer and was doing so when he came here - him and Stokes partnered up well in his first half season after his transfer.
    Griffiths had to step up due to Deila's signings - Berget, Guidetti, Cole, Kazim - all turning to *.
    Griffiths had it in him as a prolific scorer - his career history up to that point says so.
    Deila didn't make Griffiths the player he is - through a reliance on him he became a goal machine.

7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    The banning of foods that all the papers reported at the time.
    Charlie said they had a choice - eat * or don't. Deila let the players choose.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think he definitely had a hand in making Griffiths a better allround player, tbh. Think it is harsh to say otherwise. Didn't 'turn him around' as such as there wasn't much to do in that regard as he was still developing into a Celtic striker.

The goalscoring was always there, aye. But he hit new heights under Deila. Rightly or wrongly.

He has now went on to even greater heights under Rodgers despite less game time and goals.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not a myth, I watched nearly every game in Ronny's first season and saw the improvements with my own eyes. Yes, he was always a goal scorer; but that's not enough at a club like Celtic! Griffiths used to drive me crazy the way our attacks would always break down with his terrible link up play.

I watched him improve that and the player himself credited Ronny for that at the time.

Of course Brendan has taken him to a whole other level; but BR and CD are incredible- that doesn't make Ronny *.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah fair one. I thought you meant that he didn't try to change their diet at all.

11. Damnati

Good player, we never gave him a chance.

:56:

Random Review likes this.
  12. TimFloyd Gold Member

No he didn't "turnaround" Griffiths.

Naive and inflexible? Dressing up Clueless and pig headed stubborn.

Game after game after game with the same tactics in the hope that it would click, every game getting to the 60th/70th minute mark crying out for a change, every * watching the game could see the changes needed but no he just stood on that touch line staring into the abyss before subbing a defender for a defender in the 85th min when we are chasing a goal.

13. TheHappyLoss

Ronny tried to turn Griff into a right winger (no pun intended) he then spotted he was actually a goal scorer. Visionary stuff

WolfOfParkhead and Senna s1979 like this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well if you couldn't see the improvement in Griffiths under Deila, you are IMO only remembering what you want to remember. So many folk have decided he was terrible and, judging by some of comments about him, reinterpreted all their memories to fit that. You do remember that we won most of our games, right?

I'd actually go along with stubborn, I think you make a fair correction there: he was stubborn, naïve and inflexible tactically in Europe. Still not clueless, though.

His tactics were good enough for the SPL, we all saw improvement that first season.

Do you remember John Barnes?

The proof is in the pudding: I acknowledge that Deila wasn't one of our best managers; but guys like Brady, Macari and most especially Barnes achieved nothing in the game; Deila has done OK and I bet you he will continue to do OK.

Poor guy hasn't been helped be following Lenny and preceding Brendan. I bet people would say I was an ugly fud if I went everywhere flanked by George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Er, wait... bad example. :54:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. TimFloyd Gold Member

I didn't say anything about Griffiths, you said he turned him around like he was some sort of failing striker, a striker that came from hibs scoring 31 goals and picking up a wealth of awards in doing so.

Take him out hibs and put him in a team that dominate every single statistic going week in week out, doesn't take a masters degree in quantum physics to work out that equation?

Yes we won games but even then his team was a house of cards, we were forever getting cut open with complete ease but it just so happens the opposition in our league was that * poor more often than not they didn't have the quality to be clinical enough with those chances, me and a couple of other members alluded to this at the time but aye it's kinda hard to table criticism when we pick up 3 points.

And then there is Europe..... in which we were handed multiple chances.

Maybe John Barnes is the CEO of diddy incorporated and RD while not even Vice President certainly is on the board of directors getting invited to weekend golf outings with diddy shareholders to discuss the diddy goings on with diddy incorporated.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Liam Scales and Senna s1979 like this.
  16. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    John Barnes was up against a cheating Hun team and was under an infinite amount more pressure than Deila ever was.
    Deila had 3 high pressure matches in his first season - European qualifiers which we got absolutely embarrassed in and the SC semi final.
    Second season was a repeat. Only the match against the sheep did he get a result from some pressure late in the season.
    Barnes was an idiot, probably the most tactically inept manager we will ever have.
    It's not a fair comparison at all.
    Deila has to go down as a bad Celtic manager - yes he won trophies but two league titles against an Aberdeen side with a tenth of our spending budget is hardly a massive achievement along the lines of stopping the 10 or winning a treble against a team with £12million players in them or overturning a 15 point deficit.
    He had more * ups and embarrassments at this club than he won trophies.
    The Hun semi result is one of the most devastating of our modern history.
    Even the players knew he was gone as he'd practically given up by then - see Charlie Mulgrews Si Ferry interview.

As for Griffiths - as has been stated before Deila played Griffiths (and many other players it has to be noted) out of position - right wing, attacking midfielder, left wing until he had no choice but to give Griffiths a chance in his natural position.
    I'd wager the reason Griffiths became so good and worked so hard was to prove the manager wrong - not something you should credit Deila for!
    And as for the team improving - we had one excellent game vs Dundee Utd early on and were in all honesty pretty dire the rest of the season until we were put out of Europe for the 2nd time that season and we hit an decent bit of form and went on a good run only spoiled by the semi final.
    The rest of his tenure was nervy and a struggle to watch highlighted only by the form of Griffiths and emergence of Tierney.

TimFloyd likes this.
  17. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Got his own dance song now for some reason.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  18. TheHappyLoss

:giggle1:

freederry20 likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I see fat * has started his * at Celta Vigo now, he no doubt has talent but * me is he one egotistical *.

Twisty likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

“It is clear that the situation now in my club is not good, I’m not happy with it, it’s something that has to be solved,”
    “We’ll see what happens, but my situation now at Celta is not sustainable. Obviously, I want to play football and I think I deserve to play more.

“I said, ‘Listen, I don’t think I owe you (Ronny Deila) anything’. Celtic’s a massive club but I like the big games.
    “I don’t like — with all respect — Ross County away.
    “When we won the league, we didn’t even celebrate, just walked round the pitch.

https://celtsarehere.com/arrogant-former-celtic-striker-frozen-out/