1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Barnes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by bhoy_wonder, Jun 10, 2020.

Discuss John Barnes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

And why did we christen one of his players, who is mixed race, The King of Kings?

James and cidermaster like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Heard him on radio shortbreed earlier this afternoon, the guy has seriously lost the plot.

Should never have been given the gig in the first place, the least he could've done is came out and admitted that results weren't good enough, instead he uses the opportunity to play the race card to cover up for his own inadequacies as a manager, i honestly thought he was better than that.

PaulM1888 and cidermaster like this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I used to like him, thought he articulated himself a lot better than others but he’s * it now.

Incoherent, illogical, argument made against the wrong group of fans. He should be currently apologising for his inference that any racism at all from Celtic fans led to his dismissal not digging his hole deeper.

StPauli1916 and The Prof like this.
  4. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He said " on the first day i got to Celtic , Kenny Dalglish was the only person who wanted me there," so why did the board authorise his signing ??

Peej likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Guy is all over the place - if the Hierarchy did not want you thee, then you would not have been there, period. We'd have just went with Dalglish if that was the case.
    Felt the appointment of a DoF in Dalglish undermined him from the get go - perhaps it did, but he knew that going in to it - and apparently that no one wanted him there, so why take the gig with such negativity?
    Claims within the first week he told his wife not to move up - but apparently we also played 6-8 games in this time - which was it John? A week or 8 games?

These "excuses" right away are major alarms as to why he never had the backing of a dressing room and eventually it all fell apart, if you are going in to a job with no commitment from yourself and already mopping around thinking you aren't wanted - while never doing anything to help your own cause, then it's going to end bad.

Claims black managers dont last more than 2 years, because they are black. The *?
    Let's remember that the black community within the UK makes up a very small proportion arround 3% at the last census in 2011. For England alone there is 82 clubs in the EFL and EPL - 42 clubs in Scotland (any point counting Welsh and NI in this, no offence?)
    124 clubs, at any one time there will be proportionality 3.72 black managers in the league setup. There is currently 3.
    So representation wise, there is no issue there.
    No manager gets sacked for winning - none!
    They do get sacked for failing, and not many managers regardless of their skin colour or nationality get more than 18-24months in a club.
    Of the 124 clubs, only 47 have a manager there longer than 2 years.
    And of those 47 the only high profile ones are Klopp, Guardiola, Espirito (and gerrard if we want to have a laugh).
    Every other manager is at a low league club/small club that can afford the luxury of building a squad and team over time - everyone else is fighting for survival or promotion.

He is completely off the rails with this one and as much as he is trying to say it isn't him claiming it about race, his words are clearly saying it is, for him.

Guys not * right at all.

Hope N Ur Heart and simpy like this.
  6. Popes 11 Guest

I was going to do a wee piece on his appointment, only because of his recent PR stunt within the confides of the "scumduggery" hacks in Scotland to get a wee bit over Celtic and his disaster at Celtic. A complete novice imbecile and king Kenny Dalgleish should have a finger pointed as a complete cluster-* of an appointment. This is where it started and ended a disaster. Barnes does not deserve our attention * him he's not Celtic never was never is.

7. Popes 11 Guest

By the way I hope you're all doing ok friends.Hail Hail!

8. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    I like John Barnes but the last few days on Twitter he has irritated a lot of people. He is just throwing * at why he failed as a manager rather than put his hands up and say he was out of his depth.

TheHappyLoss and StPauli1916 like this.
  9. TheHappyLoss

And then Danny McGrain came in but he wasn’t wearing any training gear and I said ...........................

10. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    Why now is he hitting out with all this now after 20 years? I don't know if he's using the whole racism thing as a smokescreen to deflect from his failure with us.

11. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If you had been listening to Barnes talking on the radio, you would have heard him saying it

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  12. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Yep, and Mowbray played Broonie at left back against St Mirren. End result, 2 debacles and quite rightly 2 managers given the heave ho.
    Still, things improved at Tranmere...

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    You only have to look at the pictures of the scenes outside CP when he was announced. The fans were ecstatic we had got a big name in World football because we had little else to cheer about. Much like the huns with Gerrard now. Dalglish was totally to blame but I know that Barnes was highly rated as a coach at Newcastle under Kenny and I believe that he knew it was a gamble with Barnes but if it paid off it was massive. Unfortunately a rookie coach rarely works out and this is where Barnes was out of his depth. He quickly lost the dressing room and although the fans were outraged, it was nothing to do with not competing with the huns or the colour of the managers skin but more to do with us being embarrassed on the pitch with the likes of Caley and other very poor league results.

jj81 likes this.
  14. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    I always felt he'd be a good coach but not a good manager. But then his weight ballooned and I just couldn't see him being taken seriously as a coach.

15. Jeremie Frimpong

@DamianWayneCSC

People from all over the world are involved in the British game, and many top British players (almost half of the England team listed on Wikipedia) are black or multiracial, so there must, presumably, be some impediments to those people forging careers in management.

Barnes himself may have faced racism during his managerial career, but he ultimately failed here because, as a novice, he was ill-equipped to deal with one of the most demanding managerial positions in world football.

16. ladbroke8

It always seems to be "black managers" that gets thrown about. No one ever demands more Chinese physios.

17. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    To really understand if there is a prejudice against bame managers, you would need to have the stats of all manager applications to clubs in the uk and if bame applications were say 3% of the total applications, it would be fair to assume that bame managers would have 3% of the jobs that have been available over that period of time.

Until we have that data it's just guess work and john barnes making excuses for being a * manager

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Considering the number of black players in England I'm surprised there are not more black managers to be honest. I don't know if not many are going for their coaching badges or just don't get considered. At the moment Hughton seems the only one of note but I don't think he has a club at the moment. There is Alex Dyer at Kilmarnock but I couldn't name another.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I’m sure Barnes said this ten year ago aswell because it’s not the first tine I have heard this he’s just piping up again because of recent things happening in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    This might all be my fault :54:

He was an online guest speaker for a work football thing 2 weeks ago and was a Q+A bit I asked even though his time up here never went well with it being his first manager job what/if anything at all he took from it and over the years what was he able to learn from Kenny Dal :56: