1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Denayer

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Aug 12, 2014.

Discuss Jason Denayer in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Murph-E

2 years ago it was a no contest, Denayer over Boyata, but now? I may actually prefer Boyata. Denayer was playing alongside the most expensive CB in the history of * football for us in Virgil Van Dijk. Boyata has impressed alongside Simunovic (a guy I don't particularly rate) and Ajer, a young and inexperienced guy who hasn't played at CB for all of his career. If Boyata had Virgil beside him I think he'd far outshine Denayer.

2. Pacific Ocean Blue

He thought he was too big up here, he can * off to obscurity for all I care

3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Boy in my work thought he made VVD look good. Total opposite for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Without a doubt it was the opposite

5. Murph-E

I always thought some people had a real chip on their shoulder about Van Dijk. Like they knew he was too good for Scottish football and wouldn't stay here for long, so tried not to take to him.

6. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Always liked the big man, sometimes he did look laid back & that annoyed people. I'm not saying I didn't like Denayer but big VVD was the stand out for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. Jeremie Frimpong

I think that’s perfectly reasonable.

I admired him as a football player, but I never felt any deep attachment to him because he never felt any deep attachment to Celtic.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I * loved Van Dijk. Seeing somebody of that class in the Hoops again was outstanding.

And I don’t think you can say he didn’t feel any attachment to us, I think he clearly did. He was just ambitious and I can’t fault the guy for that.

9. Jeremie Frimpong

I never said that. I said that he had no deep attachment to the club; he made it plain from the minute that he signed for Celtic that we were a stepping stone for him. I can’t fault his ambition either, and I loved watching him play too, but it is difficult to form a deep attachment to a player who has one foot out the door.

In Deila’s interview on Magnifiseven, he said that van Dijk came to him the summer before he left saying that he had to leave, and I think that his lack of commitment to Celtic was plain to see in his last season.

It was different with Wanyama. He gave his all until his last kick of a ball in a Celtic jersey, he never agitated for a move, in public at least, and it was clear that he had genuine affection for the club.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. Murph-E

Thought he was class and committed as always in 2014/15, and gave everything/ was one of our only few good players away to Malmo at the start of the next season before he moved. Looked absolutely devastated that we didn't make the CL, even though he knew he was leaving anyway. Don't think the fact he knew he'd be moving on to a better league and bigger money ever effected his performances on the pitch.

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. Jeremie Frimpong

I meant his last full season. He did do well in the qualifiers, if I remember correctly.

12. Jeremie Frimpong

I think he’s well respected here, but we were never going to take to him like someone like Izaguirre. There’s no shame in that.

13. Murph-E

Scored 10 goals as a defender in his last full season, we were cheated out of a treble by that handball in the Scottish Cup Semi Final and we only conceded 17 goals in 38 league games. Think the guy was class and committed on the park from start to finish imo.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye his last full season he was sheer class. That was the part ership with him and Denayer. Him and Denayer were the full reason Ronnys team dis so well the second half of that season for me, two playmakers from centreback. Full team was shaped around they two.

15. Murph-E

Gordon
    Lustig--Denayer--Van Dijk--Izaguierre​

Really was some backline all in full fitness and form.

16. Jeremie Frimpong

I’m not questioning his ability.

There were times when it was clear to me that he no longer wanted to play for Celtic, and that lines up with Deila’s remarks.

I don’t bear any ill feelings towards him. He has just played in a Champions League final, so his ambition was justified.

At the end of the day, I love Celtic, and I’m always going to feel a deeper connection to a player who throws himself into the club, heart and soul, than a fantastic footballer who has his eyes set on another club (a bit like that guy looking back meme :giggle1:).

17. Pacific Ocean Blue

I thought VVD would boss the Premiership or any other league, I don't think there was a big headedness about it, just fact.

He's that good

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Why people think it is a good idea for him to come back here I'll never know. He thought it was too easy a challenge at celtic, even though he was a bomb scare in europe alongside van dijk. Arrogant * who thinks he's better than he actually is, no thanks. The fact that he is rated less than Boyata by Roberto Martinez says a lot about him.

Rydo1888* and ticketyboo0 like this.
  19. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    He was absolutely heroic in milan when VVD was sent off.

On the subject of VVD though I fully believe we owned the now best ball playing centre half in the world, everyone one of us saw the potential at the time and its great to see it come to fruition. Hes the crown Jewel of our transfer policy in the modern era.

20. optimusmike777

Denayer was fantastic for us. He was 19 at the time and in many games he was better than van dijk. Also our best clean run that season was with denayer and Ambrose at the back for most of it.

His move to Sunderland set him as moyes would play him as a right back or defensive mid. If he came back here Brendan, Kennedy and kolo will develop him into a solid centre back

I would love to see him back here