1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Janefield Street Riot

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by zmcfc, Feb 16, 2009.

Discuss Janefield Street Riot in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joemc

I remember this vividly and as most have already said ,there was no fighting and there was no way a fight could have taken place with huns at this particular point as a fan clash would have happened much earlier than getting to that point , but as I say no rival fans .
    The crowd moved ever so slowly from the turnstiles through Janefield rd ,the crowd were loud and defiant in the face of the result and I noticed the songs were turning pro IRA and louder as police horses had gathered in some sort of meeting , i was 30ft away and could see the head of constabulary giving his words as I walked slowly on .
    I turned as i heard some screams ,to see the mounties charge through the narrow part of the street into the bottle knecked crowd , panic stricken and horrified people tried to move to the side causing mayhem , walls started to collapse as this was the only safe place to avoid the stampede and this proved as terrifying as the charge .
    Shock ensued ,like the calm before the storm ,people gathered themselves up from the street where they had fallen,the street resembled the aftermath of a bomb with bricks everywhere and hurt being cared for .
    The second charge started from the opposite direction back into the now angry crowd , people started picking up the debris and launching this at the cops to separate them from their horses , I seen maybe 3 or 4 come off and fans dragging them about .
    1 of the officers got dragged behind the houses in the street by raging fans ,he was about to take a pasting and I remember thinking at this point , this guy has taken an order to charge and had to carry this out , its possible he had come from the back up riot Van's but I was fearful for his life because the crowd had turned on their attackers, I dont know if I saved the cop by saying hes probably got kids at home and to leave him , he looked terrified tbh , but he got let go and the angry faces leaned over him backed off , this is a memory etched into my thoughts forever .

seamus1967 likes this.
  2. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Hope you got more justice than Slaney did when he signed for Celtic! Young man was hurried in and oot the back door at Parkhead quicker than my mate Gowza is losing his barnet!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

:43: