1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Hendry

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Feb 1, 2018.

Discuss Jack Hendry in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Can't see the point to keep slagging the guy, we all know he was * when he was here but has obviously improved
    I don't want him back but it plain to see he's not the player now that he was then.

Dublin Celt and martin_d like this.
  2. Foley1888

It’s a strange one for me if you gave me the hypothetical situation that a CB playing for a decent club in Belgium who was leading stats in important areas for a defender in that league at 25, 6’4 and got decent pace for £1.75m I would be saying that sounds like a good deal.

Then I think back to some of Hendry’s showings for us and him getting bullied and running around in circles and think just take the money.

Conflicted on this one. I am wondering if the team he is at sit deep and play on the counter and that just suits him better than playing a high line with us. Or has he actually improved and come on to a bit of a game?

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s probably a combination of things. He’s improved, the style of play suits him better, and he simply wasn’t ready to rise to the Celtic challenge.

It’s a no brainer at this stage. Our defence going into the opening games of next season (assuming Ajer goes, which he will) consists of Taylor and Walsh. That’s it. If we have a player under contract to us who’s performing well in a better league, it seems daft to not give him a chance here.

I think as a fanbase we can be very quick to judge some players. For a guy like Hendry, who made a massive step up coming to us, it’s not all that unusual for them to find their feet by taking a step back first.

Spring Time, Dan Breen and The_Bhoy like this.
  4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Perfectly put

King of Kings and Dan Breen like this.
  5. Foley1888

Your probably right mate, and agree on how short we are defensively going into the summer.

For me the best approach and this is if Hendry wants to come back, as that team could sign him if he wants to go and there’s not much we can do about it, we need whoever the new coaching staff is to look carefully at the system he is playing in at the moment, the role he is playing in that system and then make a decision on whether to bring him back in or sell him based on if they think the attributes he’s displaying fit what we need.

My memory of Hendry is he has the attributes to be a decent CB but had missed a valuable period of his career not playing first team football and was only just getting that at Dundee. He also seemed to lack the heart for it. Either way we should at least get more than the fee paid for him back. It will be just like us he comes back decent and his deal expires next year and he leaves for nothing.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    What worries ne about the posibility of him coming back is that then we have a defender who maybe still isn't suited for as, even though he does well in Belgium.

Our board will then not invest in, hopefully, a third CB and if Hendry fails again we're left with too few usable CB.

Therefore, I would prefer to do actual recruitment and get another CB in instead of him back. Properly done the chances for a new CB to succeed are higher than testing Hendry again. That said, our management would probably fail again to do their * job and would hire another donkey.

7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The above point made about; if we were to buy a 25 year old 6”4 defender from that league for as cheap a price as his buy out and with the stats and displays he’s had this season. We’d all think we’re on to a winner. And to be fair that kinda player is exactly who our scouting team seem to always look at, especially in that price range. It shouldn’t even be a case of looking into hendrys season by the club (we should already be closely monitoring all players out on loan so should already know if we want him back or if he’ll suit our play).
    But a player playing with confidence is a huge asset to have. Hendry had no confidence before playing for us, maybe he’s matured. Maybe he hasn’t. But I feel for squad depth it’s not a risk bringing him back even if he’s 4th place behind jullien Welsh and a new quality purchase. He’s easily capable of playing against the Hamilton’s and county’s of this league next year if he can do it over in Belgium against better sides

8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    If we get an offer over what we paid for him, and I believe his current buy out is 1.75, we'll sell, he's obviously improved but he would still be fifth choice next year behind Welsh, Julien + our two new CBS.

9. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    He seems to have bulked up a bit too

10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Firmly in the “take him back” camp. We have no defenders.

King of Kings and Tommy25 like this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I really hope they sign him.

The Dude likes this.
  12. CountyDownFaithful

Didn’t work out with us and I think that was down to pressure more than anything. He made a couple of mistakes and his confidence was shattered.

There’s no doubt his performance level has improved in Belgium but it would probably be more of the same if he came back to us. One mistake and the support would be on his back and it would be deja vu all over again.

We should cash in if we can recoup the transfer fee that we paid for him. But this can only be done if we forward plan and have a couple of CBs in first.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

less pressure over there playing for a mid table team and then youve got no fans in the stadium to give him pelters if he makes a mistake cause of covid

ironically though if hed been here hed have probably done well with the amount of games hed have got

for a 25 year old hes very inexperienced hes been at a quite a few clubs and has very few games under his belt for his age as foley says

i might be wrong buy i dont think hed fancy it coming back to play in front of our fans because lets face it we are hyper critical as a support because we are winners and players really need to hit the ground running, its been a problem in recruitment when we buy up some of the younger inexperienced guys, they are raw but theres not time for them to learn on the job here

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We'd still have none when he came back.

Delighted for the boy that his loan stint is successful but I have absolutely no faith that will translate into being a success in a Celtic team.

Scottish Football is much more physical with weak/bent refs that will allow him to be bullied, he lacks any natural aggression and he melts under pressure.

Grab whatever we can get for him in the summer and let's in some proper defenders with a track record of playing. We can't take gambles.next season.

McChiellini.. and Montero like this.
  15. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    The guy's not good enough for us, simple.

16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

He better still be at the club next season.

I’ve put a deposit down with his agent for two tickets for the September game at Ibrox

Seán Mac D likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I'm all for giving player's a clean slate but I draw the line at him..

Shat his self massively here
    Couldn't trap a ball
    Ran with the ball like a donkey
    Defensively terrible
    Got bullied at certain grounds and thought it was funny

Also mugged Tim's charging them a monkey a piece for briefs at the Huns. * that..

Weird that Kouassi, Shved and Hendry are all doing well in the Belgian top flight. No to be snobby with our own demise this year, but it does make you question the overall standard over there..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The standard....better than our league as a whole

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The Celtic Jersey to heavy for him.

Never making it here..

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Thanks captain..