1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Doesn't even make sense that. A loan with an option to buy for 5 mill and a keeper for 5 mill plus a mill in add ons..

This is in the last day and yet you're in here moaning..

Its us that have likely put the bid in for Toney as well :giggle1:

You can't possibly say he's far better than Ajeti. I'd go as far as to say it's utter *..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Peterborough have thrown out a £5million bid from Celtic for Ivan Toney.

The Posh’s chairman, Darragh McAnthony, confirmed on Twitter on Tuesday night that a Scottish team had tabled a bid for their top scorer.

A senior source at the English League One club has told Record Sport the offer had come from the Premiership champions and was well short of their valuation.

McAnthony tweeted: “Look, we have had multiple bids for him from Prem/Champ & one from Scotland.

As expected, I won’t go into who etc as that’s private.

“As of today he is still our player.”

The same London Road source confirmed that the Celtic offer was well short of other bids that would have broken the £6.5 million mark, with add ons, but they have also been turned down.

New Celtic first-team coach Gavin Strachan had previously worked with Toney as he was assistant manager at Peterborough until the summer.

Strachan has given boss Neil Lennon a glittering reference but it now remains to be seen if the Celtic hierarchy will sanction the sort of numbers that would make the deal happen.

Premiership-pushing Brentford have also tabled a big offer for Toney, who netted 24 goals in League One last season.

Rangers are also interested in Toney but would need to sell before they could buy at that sort of level.

3. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Even if he did think it up it is beneficial to all clubs to help rebuild squads under budget. It's a move to help Scottish football, not us specifically. Can't believe people are moaning about being able to get players like Moi on loan or Ajeti on a loan to buy.
    Ajeti has scored at higher levels, Ajeti is also younger so I'm sure we can develop him

Maestro 08 and JML67 like this.
  5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    An awful lot of bullshit coming out from the Peterborough chairman

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

6. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I just see a chairman trying to name a big club to get people on there toes and over pay over the price what Peterborough are well known for doing

7. GavCFC1

Apparently bid was rejected on friday, hopefully means we moved to Ajeti

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Id rather Ajeti as seems to have a better pedigree but worries me that he hasnt played or scored much recently.

celticdaft238 likes this.
  9. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Kind of happens when moyes as your manager and benches you all season

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

There’s absolutely no doubt that Toney would score plenty up here. But we do have to be careful about over paying.

11. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I would be very surprised if we got him.

Think he is far more likely to go to a Premiership or Championship team who will pay way over the odds and will offer him silly wages.

Personally would rather get Ateji in.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    McGowan saying we bid last friday on Toney, makes sense seeing the ajeti rumours.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    his blabbing to the media won't go down well with Pedro and co

14. Roskopicachu

Ajeti isn't a player i'm all that excited about. Toney is one who is to be this window's transfer tease.

Steven Fletcher you could stick on a short term deal and that's maybe the deal that i think is a real tempter. Depends on whether Toney fancies the move and what the price should be. If we're miles off, then you move on.

Ajeti i see as a player we could improve, but he isn't winning anything in the air. So it depends on tactics. For the amount of corner kicks we get you want someone who can get on the end of those crosses.

So for me, i'd be happy with Steven Fletcher joining for the ten. Toney i can't see happening. If we go in with a decent bid they go to the Daily Mail.
    I'd just say, forget it.

However if Toney really fancies it that's different.

I can also understand Ajeti wanting to maybe find a move where he can guarantee first team football every week. I just can't see that at Celtic.
    However, sometimes you get a player hungry to prove doubters wrong, which has often been a successful tactic over the last twenty years.

So i'm not greatly bothered but for some reason i'd be very disappointed if we didn't sign up Steven Fletcher because that is one deal that's staring us in the face and could be done in time for the weekend.

15. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Dunno why but I got a feeling that Toney is gonna be a lemon and we should walk away from any dealings with Pompey. I'd rather see us spend that kinda cash on someone who has done it at a higher level than League 1. It's just too much cash for us to take a gamble on a striker who hasn't played above that level imo.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  16. DonnyCelt

So Toney's preferred destination is Parkhead. Gavin Strachan is here and thats apparently one of the reasons swinging it along with European football. They ain't getting anywhere near the figures they want for him. Defo no more than £6M upfront.

Brentford losing tonight could help as well.

Crilly likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Wouldnt pay anymore than £6m for a league 1 striker. We cannot afford to.

It's fine for EPL teams to waste £10m even £20m on these players but we cant.

Ajeti makes far more logical sense in pretty much every department. European experience, attributes we currently miss in a striker, international, loan first so we see what we could get.

Hope he still signs.

Hammy89, DonnyCelt and Maestro 08 like this.
  18. Maestro 08

I would rather Ajeti based on their respective careers so far and from the little I have seen of them Ajeti looks the better player to me. He's younger as well and will cost a lot less from the way things are looking. Goals at a higher level, internationalist, good value I think whereas Toney looks to have had one standout season in a lower league and has the English player super inflation thing going on.

Just as a side note I think Steven Fletcher although he shouldn't be our major forward addition. I think for a season with a clause based possible 1 year extension is def something we should be looking at. He has bags of experience, still has loads of ability, his hold up play is superb and I think he would really add a different dimension for us. That's a no brainer for me and I don't think he would cost much in wages.

Not the big name people will want but as 1 of 4 potentially good strikers, in what is gonna be a long season gives us plenty of options plus offers something we don't really have. Strong in the air, wins flick ons etc and can link up very well in more of a solo target man role as well as able to play in a 2. Would be an excellent option in some European games for example, good from the bench in games we are chasing and able to start along a.n.other when we are resting Eddy for example.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    £12.5m Barry Fry wants not happening!

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    League 1 strikers are a dreadful price these days and such a risk, at least with Griff he showed he could knock the goals in with Hibs. I fear he could be a dud, domestic I'm sure he would be fine but not 6m is a lot for a player who has never scored in a competition above league 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.