1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye I get why he would be * off with he we negotiate it's not a shock to anyone but the board were spot on not to pay the money for him here he's not worth it

2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Couldn’t give a *, I think we were quite right to go in and offer about 4M and say if take it or we’ll get him on a pre-contract. Not as if clubs were falling over themselves to buy him.

End of the day we got Ajeti, who is proven at European level, not League 1.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Ajeti is younger too

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Something a lot of people forget..

Toney is spoken about as a real prospect and Ajeti isn't. Maybe due to Ajeti being a lot more proven..

5. stew37

Whoever he is he can pipe down, I don't really want us paying 9m plus for that kind of player. If he's as good as they claim I'm sure he'll be fine regardless of all the carry on. Case is closed, can move on.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Considering though how this peterborough guy has spouted * and tried to be a wheeler dealer with this entire saga, I am more willing to give our board the benefit of the doubt here. In the sense that this guy sounds like he is acting the big man in all of this, he is the one running to the press and slinging mud around, that's unprofessional.

We bid (rumoured) £6million, they wanted and got £9million, I am okay with that. If there is any truth to us saying we would wait till January, I hardly doubt it was in a Del Trotter style like he is making out, more that we would have offered the max we wanted to at £6million and left it at that, with the knowledge of January coming around - doubt Lawwell went around threatening it.

I am one of the first to put the boot in to the board, but this lad has been at it since day one with this saga, so I am choosing on this occasion not to believe him on this either.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In isolation I would be inclined to agree with you, it's not though. Petrie at Hibs made comment, as did the Lyon president I'm sure...and that's only the ones that ones that have spoke out.

To be clear I did not want us to pay anything like £9m for this guy but I also want us to be moving on from targets a bit more promptly if the disparity in what we are prepared to offer and what they're asking for is too great.

I think we've got the better player in Ajeti for a lesser fee but I also think there are deficiencies in our transfer strategy that need to be looked at.

Peej likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    You've got to laugh. Why are they still banging on about it? We offered a decent offer, but they wanted more, which they got. We could've got him for nothing next summer and completely agree with our tactics with this one. I'd rather miss out on Toney than spend £9m on him.

Notice how they are throwing their toys out the pram about our negotiation tactics but only one club continuously airs their dirty laundry in public before, during and after negotiations.

If Toney was as good as they say, why didn't he get them promoted? Why didn't they get a £25m-£35m fee?

Tommy25 and DennyCelt like this.
  9. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    You couldn’t complain about the price tag if he’d torn up the league at 20 but he’s 24 years old! The reason we got so much for KT is the same reason Eddy’s being quoted as being worth what he is, because they’re young and can develop further. Toney would be 27 after 3 years with us, no chance are premier league teams paying £35m for a peak-of-his-career striker with no experience other than league one and SPFL. They pay for potential

10. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Feel sorry for the guy , looked like he wanted to come here , hope his move works out for him .

OH and Mr McAnthony .... UP YE !!!

11. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    It looks like they only got £5Mill and the rest depending on various other things that`s more likely why he`s * off. That nobody was in all honesty meeting what he was hoping to get for him.

12. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lock this please sick of seeing this guys names to be honest

Tommy25 and Big Shoes like this.
  13. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

This!!!

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.