1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themouth1888

That's fine and I agree but we are clearly still interested despite knowing what they want. Make our best and final and stop * about

Cesar67x and Big Shoes like this.
  2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Fry and his tinpot club can do one

3. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    we could buy ajeti for £5.5m so that says everying to me

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We should move on.

Tommy25, HoopyT and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

Where/when did he say that?

Pablo87 and gary88 like this.
  6. CountyDownFaithful

Barry Fry’s tactics are transparent, predictable and a bit embarrassing. Thankfully it’s Toney we are trying to sign and not Fry.

Still want him in if it’s Lennon’s first choice. Unless there is genuine interest from elsewhere, Peterborough will need to re-evaluate their valuation because they will not let him go for nothing next season. Reading between the lines it’s only us and Brentford that are interested but I do think Brentford’s interest is being exaggerated by Fry to entice us into making a second bid. If Brentford were serious and had matched their valuation, the deal would be concluded by now.

JML67 and Big Shoes like this.
  7. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

I think you’re right. Brentford could easily afford to pay 6 million as championship teams do have a similar budget to us. Fry is at it

8. jambo_cfc

Offer them 6 and bayo , ithink they are holding out for at least 8 which if true celtic only offered 4 we are too far apart , preference is this guy to ajeti as he wants to be here

Big Shoes likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Theres more than a few teams in that league that can afford £5m for Toney.
    Waghorn went to Derby for £9m ffs.

If another team has agreed a fee, its a bit odd how he would come out and publicly aim a message at celtic. It wouldnt matter to him where the money was coming from.

I suspect that our offer is the only one they have and they are trying to push for more. In any case, we would know through the players agent and other sources.

Jeremie Frimpong and Big Shoes like this.
  10. Foley1888

On Championship teams being able to afford big fees, there was a good article on the financial turmoil that the league finds itself in between teams who have been relegated and failed to bounce back left with bloated expensive squads and smaller clubs overreaching to try make the EPL and failing. I feel a rebalancing may not be far off in that league.

I totally agree with the other point, if Barry Fry has a deal on the table from Brentford they cannot be best pleased hearing the player wants to go elsewhere. I know I wouldn’t if the it was the other way around.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats down to the teams to manage their wage bill and adjust. Norwich are an example of a team that didnt go wild and spend and will be fine after being relegated.
    That doesnt mean there are not teams that can afford him.Theres at least three or four teams in that league who are financially stable and Could afford him.
    Brentford who recently spent £5.5 of pontus Jansson, Derby, swansea and stoke. Add Norwich to that list. So long as the tv money and sponsorship exists, and teams handle their finances, teams will be able to afford the fees.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Tough choice for a player. Go to Brentford and join a squad of players who absolutely bricked it to miss out on automatic promotion then failed to turn up in a playoff final. A squad that will likely lose its two best players (Benrahma and Watkins) if not more.

Or join a team who’ve won every trophy in sight for the last four years.

I like the fact that Toney appears to be pushing for a move here, rather than the massively overhyped Championship.

Big Shoes likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly. Lawwell knows what he's doing here - we have no urgent need to get Toney in the door while Eddie Griff and Klimala are fit and Fry clearly is desperate to sell this window while Toney still has some value going into his last year.

We can let him bump his gums all he wants but if the player does genuinely want to come to us the later in the window it gets the more favourable the deal is for us.

CountyDownFaithful and Big Shoes like this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not the case at all mate. Both Thomas Frank and Dean Smith were on TV last night saying that they have achieved what they did having spent well within their means and far less than what some other teams in that league have spent.

They use a very unique and clever statistics based system when it comes to buying players, and one that will make them quite a bit of money from the sales of Benrama and or Watkins this summer.

The_Bhoy and dmccourt95 like this.
  15. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

Surely a player has a choice here. There’s no way I’d sign for a club I didn’t want to be at and as you say for the reasons above. Brentford are an unfashionable side whilst Celtic are ........can’t think of a good enough word. He could sit tight and bluff them if he really wants to come to us he could sign a pre contract with us in January but I suspect he’d rather come now. We will lose eddy next season for sure and griff isn’t getting any younger. Klimala looks like he’s going to be good he’s only 22 and Toney at 24( if he proves to be as good as Strachan believes ) may pote

McGrory1888 likes this.
  16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I feel like Ajeti holds the key to all of this.
    If he decides he fancies it, we have a player with a good pedigree and goal record before West Ham with an option to buy (or obligation to buy after 10 games depending on what you read) at the end of the season. We effectively get to see him first hand and run the rule over him before committing.

If not, we up the bid for Toney if he is still available.

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Did they really make a £20m loss last year, they often have a big sale. But a sell out crowd is 13000 max.

18. dmccourt95

Nah I’m talking * misread a football finances account on Twitter last night, never realised till Portillo replied to me

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats said from the perspective of a celtic fan and rightly or wrongly many down south dont have as good an opinion of the league here.

Brentford is still a step up from Peterborough and im sure he will inevitably get a healthy wage rise. And he will be firmly in the shop window if he has another big season.

Where as with us could be part of a squad that will go down in history, potential of european football. But hopefully what players like Wanyama, Forster, VVD, Armstrong, Dembele have done acts as a big draw.

The_Bhoy and Big Shoes like this.
  20. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Wait till last day of the window an do a deal for £3m ,that will wind the wee * Adrian Durham up:100::50:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.