1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Neil Lennon a Celtic Legend?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sean Daleer, Sep 20, 2015.

Discuss Is Neil Lennon a Celtic Legend? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You thought winning 3 in a row was worse than Mowbrays year lol?

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Gordon's last year was painful, but it still wasn't as bad as Mowbrays.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ironically that first 6 months of his last season was the best I thought we'd played since his first season. Last 6 months were sheer torture.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That was my fault, I had a half ST that season. :smiley-laughing002: Only game I missed was the St. Mirren game, my wife wanted to experience a match so I thought that would be a good game to let her go to. :54:

Went to Paradise all through the 90s, gave it up in 99 cause I couldn't afford it then got a half ST for Strachans last season.

See a pattern forming...

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Was good and better to win it but it was scraped and we were playing quite poorly, so the season overall wasnt that enjoyable better but not really that much better.

Sums it up really than in Mowbray's season we only got 8 points less in the League than we did in the 3 in a row season. If you think back you'd swear we must have got about 20 points less in the Mowbray season as it seemed like we were slipping up every other game where as with Strachan it was very boring but we were still scraping the results.

Strachan's last season though was just so bad even at January I think we were about 8 points clear in the League but it was absolutley dreadful stuff - I remember threatening a boycott at that time because he had fell out with McGeady who was the only player worth watching at the time. Was shocking brutal stuff.

When I think back to Strachan's last 2 seasons its like a dark cloud of doom that even Mowbray and our worst season since I can remember was like atleast it wasnt that bad.

If Strachan had stayed 1 more year I wouldnt have renewed my season ticket, I was absolutley delighted when he left. Literally could not have been happier lol

Didnt realise that either just looking now but we only got 1 point more in Strachan's last season than we did in the Mowbray season. Not suprising now that I think as was utter dreadful.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The 7-1? :smiley-laughing002:

You better not get a season ticket ever again mate, I'll go chump :56:

7. Markybhoy

Mevin voted no. I have PM'd him to find out why. I recommend all other yes voters do likewise. He probably has some inside info that we are unaware of.

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The very one. You couldn't make it up.

About 14 years all in I was a regular at CP and seen two title wins.

And people think we've got it bad just now. :smiley-laughing002:

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    :smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002:

I've had 6 title wins out of 7 season tickets.

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We forget to in Strachan's time as manager the first two seasons which were his best we still didnt even really do that well, we had the League on a plate both seasons as the huns only got 72 and 73 points even Mowbrays team would have pished the League both those seasons. Then the 3 in a row season I thought was a dull season, only brightened by the tension that it became a close race in the end where we were scraping wins to try and win it, 4th season utter disaster, cant be understated how awful a season it was.

Every season Strachan stayed the worse we got I think, same also happened with McLeish at the huns both initally done well but when they started signing their own players they ended up *.

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Two of those season were lit up with some great CL nights though. That can't be forgotten when deeming how good the season was as a whole.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    3 in a row season we got to the last 16 as well, was the Spartak Moscow qualifier as well.

I've always said WGS team wasn't a great team but it was full of great moments, it wasn't the best of football but thier was some magic in it with Nakamura and McGeady, Maloney was astonishing the first 18 months as well. I thought he played his best football his first season when he had Stan Petrov linking up with Zurawski.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Fucksakes it's not even a debate...

Legend.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, he done really well results wise in the CL but even then at the time we were going through a decline compared to just before. Like in the CL we again kind of scraped results with tight hardworking football when under O'Neill before we had similar results but we had outplayed and sometimes swept teams aside, obviously the players were much worse under Strachan but still how good we were under O'Neill left a shadow over it added to the fairly average domestic performances throughout his years.

Aye I agree. Strachan's first season was actually really good football wise, Maloney, Petrov, Hartson, Zurawski, Boruc, Nakamura they played very good stuff a lot revolving round Maloney who was excellent the following season it got worse with losing Petrov and Maloney and Zurawski was worse and Kenny Miller couldnt control a ball, we started to rely heavily on Nakamura and McGeady then just got more dependent on them as the seasons went on by the end for me it was near unwatchable.

If Strachan had left in 2007 id probably fondly remember him but I just suffered too much boring football that when I think of Strachan I just think of the relief of him finally leaving and the suffering of the last 2 seasons, even though we played in the CL in them, got to the last 16 and won 3 in a row in one of them like I said before its like theres a dark cloud of * over those seasons at far too many poor or average performances.

It became hard work to sit through games under Strachan compared to since.

Most people always say the main reason we won 3 in a row too was Hartley and Robson in the middle, they became solid and got tore in and sneaked us through games on a winning run but in reality neither of them were Celtic class, under Strachan we were just more accustomed to battling type tight games that it is remembered fondly by most but under Lennon for example where we seen better players like Kayal, Wanyama, Ledley, Ki, Brown and that, tight poor scraping wins with players like that would have been seen as a negative as under Lennon we were more used to big wins, better football being played and better players in the team.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  15. Gordon Bennett

I don't think so. Has he ever told us what Fat Sally whispered in his ear that one time?