1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Celticbhoy97, Jan 11, 2021.

Discuss How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

For me it's pretty simple.

We don't need to drive a major playing personnel overhaul from our side. Many players will be looking to leave and that's fine, we need to manage that and replace them.

What's far more important is we get rid of Lawwell and get a proper DOF in, who brings in a proper management team, scouting team, coaching team etc.

If we get the right DOF in he can oversee all the appropriate changes. If Lawwell is tasked with sorting this out it will be a riot. At best, Lawwell might throw enough short term fixes to get a result next season but within 3 years we'll be back in this mess.

2. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    My tuppence worth

Lawwell needs to gtf

Management team needs to gtf

I don’t think we need a massive clear out of players but many will leave

I want a manager that’s gonna give us 4 years at least (don’t want another Rodgers that uses us as a stepping stone to the first English team that drops their knickers to him)

would try and do to rodgers what he done to us and get his right hand man, and tell him he has a chance to change the culture and build a legacy

a spine through the team of experience and start bringing youth through (would give up a couple of seasons to build a team that can entertain and compete along the likes of the Ajax model)

3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Deep cleanse. Tory board out!

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  4. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Rip it up and start again.... the full thing.

5. StevieBhoooy!

Id start at the top and work down..

DD
    Lawwell
    Bankier
    The other sponging board members.
    Lennon (slow clap out the door)
    Kennedy (by the grassy knoll )
    Strachan
    Hammond
    Any other Coaching (hoaching) or recruitment staff I’ve missed.
    Broony (thanks but times up)
    Christie
    Edouard
    All goalkeepers
    Duffy
    Bitton
    Ntcham
    Schved
    Boli
    Any other waster out on loan
    Groundsmen (that pitch is a shocker)
    Hoopy
    White cone
    Rod Stewart
    Wigman
    That wee spotty steward that took my iron bru off me that time..
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

6. Foley1888

Yeah you can definitely see that with academies these days, some of the money being banded about to young guys who will often not come from a lot to suddenly being handed thousands a week it’s no wonder so many let it go to their head. The model of buying players never to play but to sell to cover financial fair play is the other point I was alluding to, which has seen the likes of Man City signing boys that 5 or 6 years ago a top team from a big league would have never targeted.

Yeah Scandinavian leagues are definitely ones we should be targeting more regularly. There are plenty of talented players coming through there that still go for very reasonable prices the likes of Hakon Evjen and Jesper Karlsson both going for around £2m too Alkmaar and making an impact, Jorgen Strand Larsen for £900k to Groningen and the likes of Hauges for £4.5m to Milan, not to mention a few of the Danes such as Robert Skov and Jacob Bruun Larsen who were more expensive at Hoffenheim and Damsgaard and Askildsen at Sampdoria. Not going for Meiling and signing Boli and Taylor for more than he would have cost was a real mistake.

Romania seem to be producing a lot of talented wingers and attacking midfielders at the moment too. Serbia, Croatia and the other Baltic countries tend to produce good defenders and defensive midfielders. Holland is another market where outside the big teams there remains a lot of affordable
    good players.

Agree on your description of the positions and types of players. I feel throughout the team we require more running power, ball carrying capability and physical presence. At the moment we seem very passive in our defending all over the pitch. This is something I hate as Rodgers first season showed what you could do to teams domestically by implementing a proper press and injecting some pace and urgency into the team.

The full defence needs rebuilt with a solid GK behind them. In midfield we need someone capable of going box to box and being able to be a bit of an all round player hence the names I suggested earlier as perhaps except Olsson the other three are all that type. We badly need some options on the wing Dennis Man is going to be a serious player, he has a good physical presence and an excellent left foot. Grull is a bit more of a gamble given the lower level he has played at but is quick and knows how to finish. With a good left full back like Devetak who would overlap all day they could form a good partnership.

Up top we badly need options of someone who can lead the line and get on the end of things as well as hold up play and link with the midfield and wingers.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    This topic for me is so frustrating as the thing I've been seeing in this topic is that we (the fans) all know what needs to be done to somehow turn this disaster around. We (the fans) can see that our club is devoid of proper leadership from top to bottom and see a manager who is sadly becoming a hate figure due to his inability to manage. We (the fans) can clearly see that we have too many players who are either not good enough or don't want to play for the club. So, clearly, we have came to an impasse re the future of our club. We have the fans desperately wanting change and a board who are choosing to turn a blind eye as to what's happening and basically sticking the middle finger up at us. So, unless there is going to be a major change of heart from those in control of our club, we can only come on here and dream.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    One things for certain is that there will be huge cost cutting and our biggest assets sold, the years of wasting money on projects needs to stop. I’ve said numerous times before we wasted more money on Klimala and Ajeti than what it would’ve cost for Toney. Through his years of being the man who makes the decisions on mostly everything, Lawwell has squandered all sorts and lost us many millions in qualifying money.

9. Dip 'n' Swerve

Longer covid goes on the whole thing will plummet:
    Sky deals
    No fans in stadiums / season books
    Cost cutting at all clubs
    Player taking pay cuts
    Etc etc
    Crazy times i dont see this being sorted until this time next year not for close fan / concert environments

The need to nuture local players is becoming vital and the bread and butter

10. shaunm

We’ve had 9 fantastic years of success,unfortunately it’s coming to an end,the club needs modernisation,I think we need to bring in a director of football,one who’s in for the long haul,let him make the changes that are needed,to implement a playing style that us fans can be proud of,quick attacking football with a bit of flair,make that the philosophy of the club,bring in coaches/staff who can work with this,head coach included.Also might be worth looking at Brentford and copying there model of having a B team?