1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How do You deal with family that support the opposite team???

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Fabenzofi, Sep 1, 2014.

Discuss How do You deal with family that support the opposite team??? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fabenzofi

Fav Celtic Player:
    juarez
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    It's been a while since I post here and most of you guys have changed screen names and it's hard too keep up that way hehe.

As some of you might remember I have a huge admiration for Celtic and know that I support a team in my country (Mexico) PUMAS UNAM our biggest rivals are club America, most of family support them and every time we have reunions parties etc I try not to talk much about football, they make jokes and talk * but I try to ignore it because to be honest I accept that I'm the most passionate when it comes to the sport and my team and they don't really take football as serious as I do.

I moved to the United States because of work a couple years ago and don't have much family here, but I do have a cousin with his wife and son that live here and happen to be America fans, despite our football rivalry we get along pretty good and get together very often to have a drink and have fun pretty often, my wife and his wife get along great and my kids and his son also get along just great,

We got together tonight to have a few beers and fun since there's no school for our kids because tomorrow is a holiday here in the USA we had planned a few things for tomorrow together , PUMAS AND AMERICA played the derby last Saturday night which PUMAS won 1-0 his wife started to make comments and I tried ignoring it and didn't even bring up the game, I know she didn't mean it to start an argument or nothing like that so I replied with other jokes but nothing to aggressive, but to my surprise my wife which doesn't give a flying * about football decided to make a joke about their team and his wife replied by saying some things that weren't disrespectful but did bother me a bit, I got in the conversation and tried to be as respectful as possible but well defended my team, she obviously didn't stay quiet and replied with more nonsense crap lol, after a few minutes of talking back and forward my cousin interrupted and told her to shut up but had to make a stupid comment that just * me off, we went off and argued for about an hour and to make story short for the first time since we were kids ended up having a huge argument and they decided to leave my house because our talk got pretty intense.

I can honestly say that I tried to calm things down but as I did other stuff came up and we just both made everything worse, I feel horrible as they woke up their son in the middle of the night and went home because aperrantly I was too rude and aggressive, I never disrespected them but my wife my cousin and his wife are * at me because of all this.

I know this is very stupid lol but I would like you guys to share some similar experiences so that I can feel I'm not a lunatic like my wife keeps saying, I do want to clarify that in the past I have swallowed my pride and bit my tongue so that things like this wouldn't happen but tonight I just couldn't, and now I feel like * because I feel things won't ever be the same again with them.

2. Nasser

So what's the deal with PUMAS UNAM and club America? Is it religious? political? what divides them? why is it the derby is so important that your family would insult each other over the football team you support, it seems odd to me.

3. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Going by what you've said your America supporting family need to learn to respect your choice of club. It's not ok for them to laugh at you and make jokes and not expect the some of the same back when your team wins.

In time it will blow over with you all regretting some of the things said. Maybe come to some agreement that in future football is a taboo subject when you are all together.

If that had been a Glasgow family it'd have ended with blood being spilt and everyone in the cells for the night. :smiley-laughing002:

4. TuffGong

Fav Celtic Player:
    leslie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    big leslie sticks da ball in da netty
    Never had a problem. Wind each other up but never argued or had a fight because of it.

5. Fabenzofi

Fav Celtic Player:
    juarez
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Nothing religious between us one club (America) based on power, money and owned by one of the biggest companies in the world (Televisa) a multimedia mass group that pretty much did what ever they wanted regarding rules, schedules etc when it came to Mexican football, and Pumas a team that represents the UNAM national university of Mexico, little money and more of a footballer factory and with a hole different ideology from them. AMERICA is designed to bring the biggest and expensive signings and win every tournaments or competition they play which they have failed to do in the last decades.
    PUMAS Was for many years the biggest and most successful footballer factory in the country and have the idea of forming and educating young players since young ages and win titles as we'll with these players formed in the club along with two or three foreigners which I admit has not been the case in the past 3 years...
    The rivalry starts since both teams are from the same city and are form different social levels.

I know it's odd and I can not feel but horrible I've had many arguments with friends and random people but it feels bad with the family specially since they are pretty much the only family I have here.

6. Don Corleone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamuraaaaaa
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Have you considered a traditional hair vs mask match?

7. Doire_Bhoy

Yet Glasgow is far more mixed than e.g. Ireland when it comes to Celtic/themmuns.

Frequently read Glasgow and Scottish posters on here referring to various relations (aside from friends, colleagues etc too) who support the filth.

My impression is that it's fairly normal in the West of Scotland whereas in Ireland it would be extremely rare (though also not unheard of).

8. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I wouldn't know what to do if anybody even supported celtic are in my family ha I know maybe 2 other celtic fans i actually know more leeds and Norwich fans then celtic fans Ohh what a depressing thought

9. Doire_Bhoy

Plenty of Celtic supporters in Dublin. Though granted it's very generally solid EPL territory.

10. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Everyone says it's there second team not real supporters ask them anything they will just up the ra and * the Brits or something cringeworthy like that last time I went we got on the supporters bus was about 20 of us on it when we got to Belfast and there was more buses from there then supporters on are bus ha

11. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Had arguments about football with family but it's never came to physically fighting.

For the last few years mainly I've responded with the phrase "Yer deid". It usually results in silence or they change the subject.

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Zombies gets them everytime :smiley-laughing002:

13. Kerry Bhoy

Agree with this. You hear of Scots who have brothers and a dad that support the huns. That would simply never happen in Ireland. I'd have been disappeared.

14. Doire_Bhoy

Are there not at least three CSCs in Dublin? Been a while since I was watching a Celtic match in Dubland but I mind CSC bars heaving with the Hoops.

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Anthony stokes da's one is the only celtic pub I've known of the dublin csc is down in dalymont park I think but that's a football Stadium for an other team was in it last month nothing at all to do with celtic in it but there was a good bit of St pauli stuff on the walls

16. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

In Ireland it would be between those who support gaelic and those who support soccer.

18. Doire_Bhoy

I was careful about how I worded that. I heard a few friend-of-a-friend stories of people from mixed backgrounds (predominantly in and around Belfast) who support Celtic whilst others in their family support the filth.

I see your point about the GAA and the soccer to some extent although most people I know like both.

One of the clubhouses in Derry used to show Celtic matches years ago as it was the only place that had Polsat.

19. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Think people like that would be a small minority nowadays thankfully

20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

There is a sizable minority in the 6 counties and to a lesser extent(but not much) in border counties. It also cuts both ways but is more common among Gaelic supporters. Angus in another thread mentioned people from Sligo who would not set foot inside a soccer ground.