1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hibs hold hapless Hoops

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by CheGuevara, Apr 22, 2019.

By CheGuevara on Apr 22, 2019 at 8:53 AM
  1. CheGuevara Administrator Administrator

    Jul 30, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lustig Ajer Simunovic Izzaguire
    Brown McGregor
    Forrest Nitcham Hayes

    This game at Easter Road got off to a flying start for the home side with Hibs showing interest early. Horgan had a shot from 20 yards which Celtic couldn't seem to clear too well. The resultant attack down the Hibs right saw a fierce cross from Horgan, missed narrowly in front of goal by the despairing lunge of Omeanga.

    A terrible piece of play from Nitcham led to another long range strike - this time by Omeanga which Bain did well to Parry round his right hand post.

    Although HIbs had the best of the early exchanges some nice play by Celtic saw Forrest cross the ball onto the chest of Edouard which he brought down, but his left foot shot was weak.

    Hanlon had a great opportunity to open the scoring. The ball dropped to him from a poor cross from the right. His shot was high, when a little composure might have seen him hit the back of the net.

    Good work by Hayes to win the ball in an advanced area led to Edouard trying to curl a right footed shot into the top corner, but a Hibs defender managed to get a little block which saw the ball go by for a corner, which inevitably came to nothing.


    A Hayes cross from the left went over everyone in the box to Lustig. The big Norwegian cut the ball ack to Nitcham and his curled effort was touched away by the goalie for a corner - which inevitably came to nothing once again. Shortly after the two combined again with a cross from Nitcham found the head of Lustig in the box but his header was easily saved.

    With ten minutes to go in the first half, some nice interplay between NItcham and Forrest looked like it might bring about something dangerous, but Celtic seemed to overplay it when a shot may have been a better option, only for the opportunity to be snuffed out. The breakdown led to a cross by Izzaguire which Marciano came out to take and missed but the cross to Edouard was nipped away from his feet before he could take a swipe.

    A great interception by Brown saw him pass outside to Forrest, who tried to take on Gray in the box. Gray tackled well though, but Brown cleverly took it on into the box, laid it off to Hayes, but his effort went harmlessly over the bar.

    Brown and Omeonga had some bruising tussles which led to the first booking of the game.

    For some inexplicable reason Kamberi decided to get involved in a minor spat between the Celtic captain and the Hibs midfielder, and walked over to shove Brown in the back. A stupid booking for a player who was inept for the entire game.

    Half Time: Hibs 0 - 0 Celtic
    The first fifteen minutes of the second half were remiss of much in the way of quality - peppered with poor play and errant passing. The first action was at the feet of Johnny Hayes as he turned and twisted Stevenston, but the Hibs defender stuck to his task and made an intervention before his shot got away properly.

    Hanlon hacked Hayes down just outside the box, and the free kick was taken by Edouard. The Frenchman was on target with the effort but Marciano was equal to the drive and dived at full stretch to his right to tip the ball away. The resulting corner led, inevitably, once more, to nothing.

    McGregor slid past a Slivka tackle in midfield to pass to Forrest who's cross was missed in the box by Darren McGregor. Edouard was so close behind the Hibs defender that when the ball came to him so unexpectedly, he was unable to get the requisite touch to ease it goal bound.
    An interception by Brown from what looked a dangerous Hibs attack was played by the Captain into a good position for Rogic. The Australian, who had come on as a substitute for Nitcham, passed one defender and opened his body to take on a right foot shot, but it slid past Marciano's right hand post.

    Edouard managed to round Marciano and find the net but only after straying offside which ruled out the strikers effort.

    The game seemed to be getting away from the Champions elect and with ten minutes to go Forrest took a ball from Sinclair, but his curled effort lacked the power or accuracy required to find it's way into the net.

    Hibs remained a threat when attacking and McNulty came close with a header from 12 yards. A shot from Mallan was followed by an effort from Shaw which Bain somehow managed to keep out of the net.

    Stevenston was booked for a late tackle on McGregor just outside the Hibs box in injury time. The Rogic free kick was hard and low but only found the wall.

    Weah made a great pass to Edouard with a minute to go and the striker brought out a really good save by the in-form Marciano. The corner was met by Simunovic, his top corner bound header was saved once again by the Hibs keeper in the last real action of the game.

    The wait for the 8th consecutive title rumbles on to next weekend with a home tie against Kilmarnock with the backdrop of knowing that if Sevco win then the title will continue on for another week. A 9 point advantage means that the title is all but inevitable, but they are really making us sweat for it currently.

    On to next weekend and hopefully a home title party.
    packybhoy likes this.