1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Here is how Celtic can qualify for the knockout stages

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by rorylando45, Nov 6, 2015.

Discuss Here is how Celtic can qualify for the knockout stages in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. rorylando45

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Nakamura, Robson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Contrary to popular belief, we don't necessarily need to win both our remaining games. In some circumstances, a draw and a win would be enough. We're still big underdogs, but on Matchday 5 if we can somehow beat Ajax whilst Molde beat Fenerbahce, then we're in with half a chance out in Istanbul.

Let's get Brown and Simunovic back in the team, give Ajax a right good go at home and then you never know. It's not over til it's over, * every *!

[​IMG]

2. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    If we sneaked through with 6 points I would expect us to voluntarily forfeit out of shame.

3. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    If we win both games we will do it . Beat Ajax and everyone will once again be well up for it

4. rorylando45

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Nakamura, Robson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I mind a cutla year ago in the Champions League, Zenit snuck through with 6 points. Meanwhile Napoli got eliminated on 12 points :smiley-laughing002: * sake

[​IMG]

5. Sonny7

We want be anybody were * *

6. Swervedancer Guest

Nice graph Rory :50: Yeah if Molde do us a favour it could get exciting again which is crazy to think after the last two games.

I think Fener can draw 2 2 with us too because they have a better goal difference so far? Someone mentioned that in another thread. We would need to draw 3 3 if we beat Ajax.

7. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Celtic are not getting through this year. It is good to be optimistic sometimes, but this is the same as people thinking Celtic would go to the second leg against Juventus and turn it around.

8. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Come on lads you are indulging in self deception. We are out not mathematically but this is the end of the line. We are lucky that we arnt officialy out yet because of an anomaly in how the other results went. 2 points and no win is disgraceful.

9. Swervedancer Guest

That is incredible, how gutted would Napoli fans have been. I remember we finished 3rd with 9 points and that was sore.

Seriously? My that is far more optimistic than us beating Ajax and Molde beating Fener. I imagine it's a very low number the amount of teams recovering from a 3 goal deficit first leg.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  10. rorylando45

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Nakamura, Robson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Currently our goal difference is -3 and Fener's is -1. If we beat Ajax, and Molde beat Fener, then our goal difference will be at least as good as Fener's. If our GD is better than Fener's (i.e. we beat Ajax by 2+ or Molde beat Fener by 2+), then a 2-2 draw means we would beat Fener on overall goal difference. And if our goal difference is equal (i.e. we beat Ajax by 1 and Molde beat Fener by 1) then a 2-2 draw vs Fener would mean we beat them on goals scored. So either way a 2-2 draw would be good enough for us :50:

11. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    We could beat Ajax 7-6 at home then go out to Turkey and beat Fener 9-7 and we would go through. Of course for this to happen we will need to get our act together defensively.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If we go through with 6 points there would have went through on merit. The Table doesn't lie.

Aint going to happen though.

My thoughts exactly.

And having been a Celtic fan for decades I'm well versed in the script in front of us. We will beat Ajax and everyone will get behind the team again then we will get beat in Turkey.

There is nothing surer.

13. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Qualifying would just paper over the cracks.

Our biggest successes in the last 15 years have been after disasters. O'Neill after the John Barnes shambles, Strachan after the squad of 30+ year olds on 30k a week and Lennon after Mowbray.

As long as the situation looks fixable Lawwell will keep faith with the majority of the players.

14. shendr18

No Bitton, Johansen with Brown and Jozo being injured

So at least forces ronnys hand to make changes

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Not exatly the changes we want to make :smiley-laughing002:
    Except Johansen of course, just put him in the * reserves.

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly can't see us winning a game

17. Cmcgregor90

It's a big big kick in the balls that we should have never mind could have had 6 points going into game 3! Now game 4 has passed and we are on 2 we would be down in our arses if Ajax and fenerbache weren't as bad as ourselfs

18. john2061

stop kidding yourself on theres too many imposters in the dugout and on the field wearing celtic strips and the quicker theres major changes in the club the better :54:

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I admire your optimism OP but even qualifying now would be papering over the cracks.

Last night was his chance to show he had learned from past mistakes. Clearly he has no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We've still got a chance, a very * slim one but still think we can do it. Only way Ronny can take the pressure off is if we hump Ajax and go over and gets a result in Turkey.