1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrik Larsson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by PaddyBhoy, Apr 4, 2011.

Discuss Henrik Larsson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    He stayed in the Hilton in East Kilbride when he moved over at first was known a the West Point, Jordan was just a tiny wean at the time weeks old,me and a few mates would go in for a beer and we’d always chat to him- was always really friendly a mind we drew with Liverpool over 2 legs but got put out on away goals, henrik said “ we will beat them next time “ and we did, mind regi blinker was staying aswell in the hotel, came across as a bit of *

NomDePlum and Skelleto like this.
  2. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Youd think they would get his age right when he signed he was 25 when he signed no 26 m just saying

3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Just wouldn’t be the same without him.

The amount of life defining moments this man has provided me with will leave me forever grateful.

Sean Daleer and King of Kings like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Henrik Larsson felt like he stabbed Celtic fans in the heart after scoring on his Parkhead return with Barcelona.

The King of Kings - regarded as one of the greatest Celts of all-time - swapped Glasgow for Spain in 2004 after seven glorious years at Celtic Park, where he scored 242 goals. As fate would have it, Larsson was back at the home of the Hoops with Barca just a few months later after both clubs were drawn against one another in the Champions League group stage.

There was no room for sentiment though as Larsson climbed off the bench to score against his former club in a 3-1 victory for the La Liga giants. It was a night of mixed emotions and speaking on the 25th anniversary of his move to Celtic, Larsson told German magazine 11 Freunde: "For seven years at Celtic Park they played the theme song of 'The Magnificent Seven' after every goal I scored.

This time it was dead quiet, some spectators even whistled. I would have liked to have sunk into the ground. I owe everything to Celtic. The club paid for my house, made me financially independent and made me the person I am today.

"I loved the Celtic fans and yet that night I stabbed them in the heart with my goal. But at that moment I was a player for FC Barcelona."

Swedish icon Larsson - who scored 15 Old Firm goals - also named his toughest opponent in a Rangers jersey after several duels over the years.

He said: "It was Craig Moore of Rangers. He yelled at me for 90 minutes, kicked me across the pitch and tried everything to get inside my head.

But you have to give him one thing, he never complained when he got something back himself. And I got him back really hard a few times!

"All my life people have told me I can't do certain things because I'm small and skinny. No one believed in me because my father was just a sailor from Cape Verde and my mother was a factory worker. I always had to earn respect - in the school playground and on the pitch. I learned that if you don't fight back, you become fair game.

"I experienced things earlier in life I would have gladly done without - racism and insults, but that's part of life. I wasn't playing against a great anger, but for my dream."

5. PaddyJamieson

:notworthy Nobody comes close.

I love watching back those games against the huns with Larsson/Sutton/Hartson up against their back line. They're * ferocious :56: the kind of * you'd never get away with these days. It's part of what made them such brilliant contests.

The_Bhoy, Slater67 and NomDePlum like this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The more and more I think back, and look back to each season we had him from 2002 onwards it’s incredible we kept him for that long. Especially after that golden boot season. I wonder what fees we were actually offered for him across his time here? And also always forget he was 25/26 when he joined; crazy he was already that age

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Didn't know the man but knew some people at the school/area he lived in who did. From what they said a lot of it came down to his family being settled and doing well were the reasons he stayed so long. Apparently he was more than happy to do so. Money is relative for some people, Henrik was almost certainly one. He finally left to prove something to himself, not for the money is what I've been led to believe.

Few like him in skill, application, selflessness or temperament. We were blessed.

bobs1974, Big els and Skelleto like this.
  8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    And even greater to add to your point, when he did leave…even at the age of 32 he was able to prove himself and win the champions league. Was so happy for him when he did that. I can’t think of one footballer in the last 20 years with his quality, selflessness and temperament like you say who has stayed at a club of our quality; squad and league wise.

bobs1974, Big els and NomDePlum like this.
  9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The broken leg probably saved us, he scored 12 goals and got 6 assists in 13 games I think that season, if he stayed injury free he would probably have ended the season with about 45-50 goals and 20-25 assists or something and someone would likely have paid big money and signed him that summer when he would have been 28.

Cause he broke his leg and only played a couple of games at the end, it ruined probably a great standout season and likely put off anyone who wanted him until he had proved he had recovered. Even though he returned to have that great 53 goal season him turning 30 shortly after and suffering that bad injury probably put teams off signing him.

Broken leg was probably the best thing to happen to us as we'd likely not have won the League that season anyway with Barnes.

Liam Scales and The_Bhoy like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. celtic warrior

He'd be considered within the world's greatest ever players in the history of the game if he left celtic a lot sooner in his career.

We talk about the movement of Kyogo.

But in hindsight you watch Larsson in his pomp, his intelligence, his movement, his physical presence even though not the tallest or bulkiest lads, jumping ability, heading accuracy, his touch, his finishing, his temperament and overall attitude in applying himself.

Honestly he'd be right up there without a doubt in my mind.

Imagine now if Barca had him at his peaks rather than us, the guys name and legacy would have been incomparable.

EKCelt and The_Bhoy like this.
  13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think it speaks volumes though that he’s seen as Swedens best ever player and he was with us for most of his career. Then there’s ibra who has played for every “big “club possible and still isn’t perceived above him

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Buster

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

* save our king

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone