1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Have we peaked as a club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jozo The Provo, Dec 24, 2014.

Discuss Have we peaked as a club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    The squad will be chopped and changed soon enough to get player's in who can play Ronnie's system we have been doing well in the league already with players who aren't even suited to the system a Rock hard Center back and a good covering left sided center midfielder and we will be great I do think Ronnie will eventually change things around and try new things but getting the 4-2-3-1 mastered 1st should be the main priority if we want to do well in Europe because are form in the league is already good enough to win it comfortably

2. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Exactly. Football is always evolving, and I still think some form of European league is inevitable.

Add the extra money and exposure to our excellently managed infrastructure and scouting system, and I have no doubt we'd be at the top table again.

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Totally agree.:50:

4. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

We have peaked yes. I don't think celtic will even exist in 30 years. We play in a league which is set for the pit and nothing will change that

5. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    * sake man its Christmas time be optimistic

6. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

:smiley-laughing002:

7. Unrepentant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    We need to become a dominant force again in Scotland never mind Europe. Yes we will win the league and have done for the last few years but do we strike fear into any team/defence we play? I dont think we do.

After that it will breed confidence through the team and the club, we then need to sign someone note. Thats either paying a bit of money, beating other clubs to a young talent or someone that can light up Parkhead again.

From there we can get the fans back - yes we haven't went away but the attendances are poor and the atmosphere worse. In turn this with the above points will encourage more people to come and play for our club.

Dont get me wrong nobody has the answer but thats my tuppence worth.

8. scootz

Bill Gates could buy us and it wouldn't change a thing... top players wouldn't be interested in playing in the SPL.

9. Unrepentant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Enough go to Russia, India, Monaco (who were not top flight at the time) so money talks. They might not be A* but certainly good enough to make us more of a team.

10. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Nobody of any real note went to Monaco when they where down there only guily I think who was 36 at that time and not 1 player in the Indian league would be good enough for are squad no rebuttal for Russia though :smiley-laughing002:

11. Fatface

I have always dreamed of seeing Celtic lift a European trophy, sadly I think Seville was the big moment during my lifetime and unless football changes significantly I can`t see that happening again for a very long time.

12. Unrepentant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Did Falcao not go?

13. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

u avin a giraffe

14. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    he signed a few months after they got promoted

15. Unrepentant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    And he signed for this newly promoted team in a league dominated by PSG/Marseille/Lyon and whilst he probably had offers from many different clubs for footballing reasons?

They signed other players too, one ended up at newcastle, Berbatov, the old Chelsea left back too? Not A* but again better than what we have and what we could get with money.

16. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    He looked at all the other players signing probably I do think he only went to there to make money for one year till he moved to Real but something went wrong in the summer for him as for being Dominated lyon have been * for about 5 years now marseille decent team but can be to much hit and miss and PSG started the same why Monaco didn't do to bad either finishing 2nd after only getting promoted

17. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

For aslong as we remain in the Scottish league then this is as good as it gets i fear.

18. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

big feartie

19. Unrepentant

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    They were nowhere, going into their second season in the second divison and then got took over/ got investment from somewhere. The players that signed in that season were in top European leagues and likewise next season where better options would be available.

To say people would not sign for us if we offered them a barrel load of cash is bizarre. Its a short carear and those making it to the end of theirs (30+) would bite your hand to get another payday.

Dont get me wrong the Gareth Bales of this world would not sign.

20. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    You can only really say if we have peaked if we ceased to be this very day. We haven't therefore we do not know - maybe something bigger ad better might come, probably not and our peak was the 60's ad 70's.

Im not as confident as others that the good times will come again The world is mental, moving on so fast and football is on steroids, unfortunately much like the real world, in football the wee nations struggle to compete with the larger nations. I have been waiting for the impending doom of the EPL for a generation now and it shows no signs of abating. And Madrid don't make matters any better, paying silly money for players to break records and boost their status. Billionnaire accessory teams like PSG, City and Chelsea are distorting football but this has always been a factor of football - the 'sugar daddy'. Sky and other media company's are the biggest *.

Even the MON era was really only successful through a particular set of circumstances. We had share issues a plenty and we got into £30m worth of debt, in order to fund the signings and pay the large (at the time) wages. Even then it wasn't enough to do much in Europe. Once the money stopped, you began to see a deterioration (although still a fantastic team to watch).

So true - mentioned this a while back.

Mental that £6m could buy you such great quality and now you're looking at lower EPL dross. £6m back then is (as you say) about £15m-£20m nowadays - think of what * that buys you now. Someone like * James Milner.

Even wages are mental. Back in the MON era £30k a week was alot of money, paying Larsson £48k a week was massive. I mean up until Sol Campbell broke the £100k a week mark, the highest wage was £50k a week. Even afterwards it was still in the 'keeping up and a good attraction' camp. Nowadays £30k a week is what Steven Naismith will be earning at Everton....................:56:

TL;DR? To summarise - modern football is *!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014