1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Have we peaked as a club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jozo The Provo, Dec 24, 2014.

Discuss Have we peaked as a club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree. I think if Lenny was in charge of our current group of players then we might still have a chance.

Note for the internet ronny brigade: This is not a dig at our manager but a football opinion representing my views.

2. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I couldnt agree more

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We haven't peaked because you don't know what the future holds for us and the football world, I would say it's more the restrictions of Scottish football in the fact we have had the same tv deal for a decade while other countries earn more every year giving them far larger revenue to put back in the club. For us to keep evolving into a bigger club we need to qualify for Champions league group stage for next 5 years, with the new BT deal £20M is up for grabs just qualifying.

4. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    100 million %.

I would go as far to say that failure to qualify from next season onwards should see heads roll.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The thread title piqued my interest.

6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Hopefully this years qualification was a lesson for everyone in how difficult it is and how much we need to improve on in Europe, for the club overall qualification is a must next year. So eventually we will only need to play in last qualification round.

7. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree. This is one of the reasons why i am so critical of RD's management because i have 1 eye on next years qualifiers. I have always said that. I think we need the european money just to maintain current standards and a failure to qualify in the future could be disastrous.

8. Millerntor

No-one only enters at only the last round before the group stages. Even a good couple of years showing from us is not likely to be enough to take Scotland up to a position where we enter at QR3.

9. Onefootwonder

Two ironic posts given your own lack of grammar and mistakes.

If you're going to be picky about other people's English, you need to first have a grasp of it yourself.

Let's not turn this thread into another English lesson. Plenty of threads for that already.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We will always be in with a shot at the Europa, if we sort ourselves out. However the champions league is always a bonus for us with the amount of money being pumped into football nowadays.

Maybe one day we will again see a Celtic side lift a European trophy, hopefully in my lifetime.

11. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I still think Ronnie will prove to be the better manger :smiley-laughing002:

12. john2061

unless we can get a billioniare whos willing to buy celtic and makes us a european force again but that means spending big money and the league we play in is not attractive to these kind of players so it be hard to do that . we can only hope we can get a squad together in the near future and challange in the latter stages of the europa league .

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

By next season the team will be used to the system, people may not like the 1 up top but this is how we need to play in Europe and it's obvious it works with the amount of chances we create each week. With a few new additions Ronny's style will work out better than Lenny's in long term in Europe as we will actually be playing high pressing attacking football. Hopefully :icon_mrgreen:

14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We've not been a european force for years and there's a reason for that, spending big money on a Scottish team is not sustainable. The club is being run correctly just now, spend within our means and build for the future, we cannot compete with Europes elite or even majority of Europa League teams financially. The crazy football market will soon implode, 300K per week salaries * ridiculous!

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    But will the board back him I don't think they will fully maybe if we keep up some of the pressure after the champion's league debacle the board would be backing Ronnie fully

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Off course they fully back him why wouldn't they? They will judge him at the end of the season just like everyone else should.

17. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I dont think they will back him in the way we want but we might see the odd addition.

It is interesting his praise for thumb recently fair play to him. He is also hinting in that interview that we are going to drop the current system and revert to the diamond with 2 men up front and Commons back in the team. Fair play to him we need to get the best out of the squad and if that means changing shape then so be it. I will be delighted if he tries this because the most frustrating part of his reign has been his stubbornness.

18. Markybhoy

In 1994 if someone had said to me Celtic would be in a European final within 10 years I would have laughed at them. It happened. So you never know what can happen.

19. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Well if we go back to that we might win a bit more at home but all of the * we have been through at the start of the season will be for nothing I'd rather the occasion occasional hiccup and improvement then going backwards the whole reason Lennon left in the 1st place was because this team was only going to get worse

20. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree in principle but from what we have seen perhaps this system does not suit our squad and our league.

If the manager has the balls to change shape then he will earn a lot of respect from me because it is a big call and i believe the correct call.