1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Kewell

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jun 10, 2022.

Discuss Harry Kewell in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * can honestly get through life lying :giggle1:

Aye I remember the quotes mate. Shameless *..

2. Mr. Slippyfist

With respect mate, that wasn't what I asked - but I'll answer what you've posted:

Obviously Rodgers came in with a greater backroom team than Deila did, considering we brought in a better calibre of manager. That being said, Deila was allowed to some degree to bring in folk of his own choosing to assist him. I recently spoke to someone who had worked under Lennon, Deila AND Rodgers - told me Lennon was just as you would imagine Lennon is, Deila was a great guy with great ideas but "surrounded himself with the wrong folk" in terms of the man and wife team with the new-age ideas, and that Rodgers was completely in a different level in terms of management style and what he brought to the club.

But again, we're talking about Rodgers who was at the club for 3 seasons compared to Ange who's literally just completed 1 year in charge...

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Most of what Rodgers done in the background was his first year. Which is the problem with Rodgers. It always start out fresh and exciting and he’s over the moon but he goes stale very quickly and wants out to the point he almost self sabotages.

And this why exactly it shouldn’t be left to the manager. We should have our own structure regardless of who’s in charge of the first team and it should be constantly evolving all the time.

No doubt people will say Ange was concentrating on the first team last summer and we’ll see him making changes overall soon but that’s just another argument for a DOF. We shouldn’t be in that position to begin with.

Again, this isn’t criticising Ange before some people inevitably go off on one.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

Yet the problem with Rodgers' tenure was the fact that we had a defacto DoF operating against Rodgers' ideals in Lawwell.

Assuming that a DoF should be in place and virtually tell every manager that comes in what's happening is very blinkered. A manager's tenure should be looked at on a personal viewpoint.

Do you think that the likes of MoN would have been so successful if - for example - Kenny Dalglish were the sat in DoF upon his arrival? No chance!

craigtheceltic likes this.
  5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lawwell isn’t a DOF no matter how much he tried to act like one.

DOF/Sporting Directors/Technical Directors or witever you want to call it are absolutely essential in the modern game. It’s the reason basically every top level football club outside of Scotland operate with one.

O’Neill was appointed over 20 years ago. Footballs basically a different sport these days.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

Indeed. Extremely over-complicated.

Lawwell wasn't a DoF, he was a CEO who also acted like a DoF - badly.

Does the reported relationship between Ange and Michael Nicholson strike you as one that needs another person acting as a go-between those two? Regardless of other clubs - try and look at our own.

A DoF is basically a step between manager and board.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Better tell nearly every club in Europe they’re getting it wrong then.

It’s not.

Canny believe it still needs explaining in 2022 but a DOF is someone who’ll oversee every department on the football side at the club and connect it all together. From the entry levels at academy to hiring managers.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Where exactly did I say that anyone was doing something right or wrong? I'd be delighted to hear how you came to that conclusion from the sentence you boldened?

You say "it's 2022" - and what significance does that have?

You must be so mentally superior to most folk then who "don't understand" the DoF - and that's including our illustrious title winning manager and his CEO, considering they both said this last year:

Interim chief executive Nicholson said: “People talk about roles…director of football, sporting director…what’s important for us is getting the best people into the club to work with Ange and the team who are already there to take us forward."

Referencing Nicholson's comments, Postecoglou was asked at today's press conference if he'd welcome a director of football on board.

"I don’t think that’s, unless you went to a different AGM, I don’t think that that is what Michael said that we are looking at a director of football.

"What he did say was is that we are looking to restructure the football department. We are looking at all areas.

"I’m very involved in that because ultimately the structure has to sort of fit in with what we are trying to build here.

"For us, the key to that is, for both Michael and I is to get the right people in.

"I don’t think that he mentioned director of football, I certainly haven’t mentioned director of football, its not something that is in our minds.

"In our minds is to get certain people in certain areas that we think needs bolstering in this organisation."

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It canny be that extremely over complicated if it’s a basic hallmark of any modern well run football club which every elite manager works under.

And I said it’s 2022 because your example, and definition, seemed to be what Dalglish done here.

I never said anything about someone not understanding the DOF role and Ange never said he didn’t understand it either so I really don’t get what they quotes have to do with what you said. He said he never mentioned it.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

I mentioned Dalglish because he was the last DoF that we had. Jock Brown before that being the only other.

As I said, if it's such an easy decision to have one - and by your definition not that complicated to understand - then why is it that the quotes I provided you by our current CEO and title winning manager stating they have no intentions (at that point) not including a DoF?

Are they that blinkered or unintelligent, as per your insights?

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because they have no intentions of it probably. I don’t know why you think that means it’s complicated or not an easy decision to have one though.

No one has called any of them blinkered or unintelligent in here to my knowledge so I don’t know why you seem so desperate to act like people are slating them or slagging them. Don’t know why you’re so desperate to act like it’s a criticism of Ange when I specifically said at the start of this debate that it wasn’t.

If Ange and Nicholson turn the club into a modern football club and get it right at academy level to European improve I’ll be the first to congratulate them on it.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

I said nothing of the sort.

You said: "it’s a basic hallmark of any modern well run football club which every elite manager works under." - so essentially what you are saying is that until we have a DoF, we are neither a modern well run club, nor is Ange an "elite" manager until he's working under one.

Yes/no?

Neither am I "desperate" to claim you are anything, I'm merely commenting on YOUR analysis that it's such an easy decision to have a DoF at the club, despite both Nicholson AND Ange stating they had no current interest in appointing someone to such a position.

Where exactly is the desperation there? :97:

13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    My concerns are where do we go post Ange? Is Nicholson going to be reliant on CFG pointing us in the right direction? Ange seems to have control of everything as no one above him has a clue about football evident by the state of the club prior to his appointment.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No. I said we aren’t a modern well run football club. I was pointing out that every modern well run football has one meaning it’s clearly not some overly complicated role or just a ‘go-between’ role.

Pointed out every elite manager in today’s game works under or has worked under one because it clearly shows it’s an important role that even the very best of the best need and work under.

Getting Ange and Nicholson are “blinkered and unintelligent” from wanting a DOF is an incredible leap by anyone standards. Seems pretty desperate.

dmccourt95 likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

Desperate for what exactly? If you think I'm in some way desperate to make a point against you, then you're extremely sadly mistaken. Please don't think that highly of yourself.

"it’s a basic hallmark of any modern well run football club which every elite manager works under" - so, going by your judgement of this, and Ange/Nicholson NOT wanting this "basic" hallmark as you put it, would certainly suggest something's highly a miss from "basic" thinking on their part, according to your logic...

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don’t know that’s why I found you acting like a called them that bizarre. It seemed desperate to try and make an argument about a DOF as an insult on their intelligence.

We aren’t a modern well run football club. I’ve already said that. I don’t think anyone would even disagree with that when looking at the overall picture and comparing us to clubs of a similar size, level or budget. We’re regularly outperformed by smaller clubs with inferior budgets.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

There's no doubt at all the club needs modernising, with more joined-up thinking and a real succession plan. Identifying and signing player to fit the manager's style of play. Actually recruiting managers who play a similar brand of football so that if one leaves, the replacement isn't ripping everything up and starting again.

We went from Lennon to Deila. Polar opposites, really. Deila to Rodgers. Maybe some similar ideas but opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to profile and experience. Rodgers back to Lennon. Again, couldn't be more different in terms of professionalism and ideas. Then Lennon to Ange. Yet again, polar opposites.

And although some people will say "well we won 9 in a row during all that". Aye, against * all for much of it and our record in Europe was fairly miserable during it all. And how many millions have we wasted on utter dross?

It shouldn't be taking a manager to come in and try to fix all these problems. It shouldn't be his job.

18. Mr Cleansheets

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It’s also a hallmark of a lot of badly run ones as well.

craigtheceltic and JC Anton like this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Probably more of a reflection on Lennon, but he said the place was unrecognisable with the changes made under Ronny and Rodgers..

For me much more needs doing though, we all love Ange but for me to run a modern football club, they way it should it be run, it's simply too big a job for one manager, without it impacting on parts of the structure that he can't focus on fully or neglecting his main job of running a successful first team..

His impact has been stunning, on the field and in the transfer market, but to have longterm progression and to make the changes needed to the structure he needs help..

However, like I said before I'm not sure I would force a DoF on him more like convince him it's needed, which a good CEO should do..

It's a good debate tho..

@Valhalla @Mr. Slippyfist

Poor Harry, but..:ange2:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Valhalla likes this.