1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Kewell

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jun 10, 2022.

Discuss Harry Kewell in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For what it's worth, you know I think we've been crying out for DoF since before Rodgers, it brings continuity if Ange was to leave..

But, if Ange was dead against working with one, would we or should we force one upon him? I'm not so sure.. he seems like a man who wants total autonomy to shape the club as he's sees fit..

And who could really argue against that, results and signings have been, unbelievable so far..

A DoF would have to be a pretty special individual for Ange to take a lead off of, imo..

Kewell is an interesting one, one that our attacking players will relish working under, if those who have worked with him in the past are correct.. not every coach makes a manager..

I'm happy to get attacking minded coaches in.. especially one that Ange knows well enough..

craigtheceltic, Valhalla and stew37 like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Evening dafty..

3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Shouting about a DoF at this point is just greeting for the sake of it. Ange is the main man and is in the process of turning our club into an extremely well-oiled, professional outfit.

When the time comes for the big man to move on the club will be in great shape, that will be when the DoF debate MIGHT become relevant again. And the staff that will remain will have had a few years' experience working with a world class football man in Ange, whose ideas they can carry on into the future.

As long as the suits in the board continue to know their place, the mark Ange is making will be felt at Celtic for a long time to come.

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree with this. We dont need a DoF. Ange had proven that. We just need structure and organisation.

I think people just feel as if we need a DoF because of how badly we were run under Lawell in the latter years of his tenure there. We dropped the ball in a big way. Some of it was criminal and *. Last season really put it in perspective.

Double Dutch likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's earned a bit of leeway, he had to focus on getting an 11 on the park that could compete..everything else was secondary...

Our business under Ange and Nicholson genuinely feels, much much better..

The youth set up is a neglected shambles, let's see what gets done around that..

Its clear we are building something very exciting under Ange and its not just finishing above the Huns, even if we didn't manage that last season, you could tell we were on the right track..

Would I like a DoF, absolutely, does Ange want to work under one, who knows but he would need be a pretty special individual..

Edit: Kewell may be an excellent addition as a coach, time will tell

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No issue with this, we were crying for Ange to bring in his own guys the entirety of last summer. By all accounts, Kewell falls under that Category.

If we were bringing him in as Manager then aye, I'd understand the worry, but there's zero harm in bringing him in as a coach. If Ange trusts him then I trust him.

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Although, what if Ange makes an impact in the CL and say a Spurs or similar comes calling after sacking their latest manager..

Ange left Japan mid-season, who's to say he wouldn't leave us if a chance came along..

A DoF should ensure continuity... and planning for the unpredictability of football..

But, like I say would I force one on Ange, probably not..

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If Ange wants a DOF we’ll hire one, if he doesn’t we won’t. Understand the whole continuity argument completely but the DOF won’t be there forever either same as any other employee.

Back to the actual point of the thread, Kewell is a winner and well known to our manager. That’s plenty for me, welcome!

Zander, craigtheceltic and JC Anton like this.
  9. Chris bhoy01 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    In ange we trust you bunch of scallywags

10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    End of the day mate it's not an issue at this present time. The big man is hard at work setting things up for us long term, and when he does leave then we deal with it. And btw he ain't gonna jump at the first epl club that lifts their tail, it will need to be the right move for him. He'll be here 3 years minimum.

G_portillo and JC Anton like this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hope you're right..

Double Dutch likes this.
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im not sure its Ange who would be doing the hiring, more likely the CEO.

But in any case everyone just assuming its going to work. Theres been numerous instances where the manager and the DoF dont see eye to eye.
    It can add a whole new dynamic that wont necessarily be a positive one.
    You need to make sure that DoF and manager are pulling in the same direction with the same ideas.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Ange will be involved in everything and rightly so. He’s earned that in a single season.

14. Mr Cleansheets

He's not coming in as a manager and may well be an inspiring coach. Was popular in the dressing room as a player so that might be more his level - mixing with the players which is something Ange doesn't do.

Also, he wasn't an entire failure as a manager. Had some decent results at Crawley in his first job but after that kept taking on terrible roles where he was on a hiding to nothing.

He's come to learn how Ange sets up a football club from the ground up.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinely looks like a mashup of Gianni Capaldi and Martin Compston

16. Lecs

Phenomenal player in his day, you don't get better European experience than winning the Champions league.

He's a massive name as well, might attract even more players to sign for us.

Aye he's had a pish start to his managerial career but I don't think he'd be in the door if he didn't have something to offer. Ange has had plenty of time to think about who he's bringing in, so I'm pretty confident Kewell will be a great addition.

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Its not the managers job to hire a DoF. Im not in favour of one anyway, I dont think we need one, but its never been the manager who would be responsible for that.

martin_d likes this.
  18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Can't wait to hear him at karaoke then

The Phoenix and PaulM1888 like this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not a managers job to be a one man scouting team either but alas…

20. TheHappyLoss

How many goals do directors of football score? All new age claptrap like plant based sausages and women with baws