1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gets far too much flak. Has had a lot of assists this season. And he played the ball to Christie for the pen v St Mirren and a good ball to Ely for the disallowed goal v Ferencvaros. Plays a lot of decent passes and cut backs in and around the area and makes good runs in behind. Rarely gives the ball away. Obviously there are some limitations but he's not useless.

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He plays well at home on the big pitch as he is tidy and decent at 1-2s, but away when its tighter and less space we definitely need someone else who can run in behind and beat people as we rely too much on the other wing away from home.

Dan Breen, HoopyT and DragQueenHoops like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Kris Commons reckons Celtic fans should stop targeting Greg Taylor for criticism and get behind their left-back.

The defender has seemingly become the 'easy target' at Parkhead for performances, heavily scrutinised by critics. Commons, though, believes the player is giving his all and 'can't do right for doing wrong' in supporters' eyes.

The former Celt insists Hoops fans have had it too good in the past with left-back Kieran Tierney and they should stop comparing the two players. And he named the one Celtic star who COULD warrant criticism for his start to the season.

Greg Taylor must feel like he's being left to drown in the aftermath and that's regardless of what he actually does on the pitch," he told Daily Mail. "It's starting to feel like he can't do right for doing wrong. Hardly a week goes past now without some Celtic fans getting on his case and slaughtering his performances.

"They view him as an easy target. They criticise him purely because of the fact he's not Kieran Tierney. Sorry, but that's a cheap shot and an easy stick to beat him with.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The guy is trying his best and is by no means a bad player, i just think we could get better.

Not ideal given that we've already spent over 5 mil trying to fill the position.

Rydo1888*, Mr Shelby and HoopyT like this.
  5. Damnati

Not trying to belittle Taylor at all, but I think we need better. LWB is a weak point at the moment.

P.S. Kris Commons is a fat *.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. Jeroen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Decent enough player, works very hard, gives 100% in every game from start to finish, links up well, and seldom loses possession. A bit of a one-trick pony and lacks creativity, I suppose, but he’s a great player to have in the squad, especially for domestic games. Would be a really great player if he could improve on those other aspects of his game (he’s still young, so hopefully he can).

Mickmac and DragQueenHoops like this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He might benefit from a rest and some healthy competition..

RB/RWB options are startling in comparison.

8. joemc

I tend to agree with commons here ,there always has to be someone that gets the flack ,from hendry , effe , lustig last years ,broony atm , and many more before them ,he is decent ,and dependable , but going from Tierney was ways gonna be difficult , if any concellation he dislodged a player who cost twice as much .

Mickmac and DragQueenHoops like this.
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    An accurate assessment. A decent squad player, especially when we need to go 4 at the back and would be a great option to bring on for a dynamic LWB, to see out a game.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If Tierney had not been sold, everything would be fine, and Taylor wouldn't have to fill in big shoes. But it is what it is. He's trying hard, and the concerns he was a Hun who would slack off during games were unfounded. Even I was against his signing. Now, we have to be realistic to Greg. A good player, and he is better behaved than certain Bollix.

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'd be happy enough with Taylor as our back up option, currently though he just doesn't look like first choice material. It's a shame, I think he's actually a good defender. The problem is he's not naturally offensively minded, and trying to force that part of the game on him is causing him problems positionally and with his confidence it seems. Hopefully with some more time it all comes good.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fair racking up the assists for a player some seem to deem ‘absolute *’.

13. Jeffrey

The problem is he needs an assist to get himself into a position to give one. Cant beat a man and properly create the chance himself, needs to be found

TheHappyLoss and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He makes decent runs in behind and looks for a pass. I wish more of our players did that.

The67Sound and Liam Scales like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Need to know when and how to make the run to create that opportunity too. This lad gets no credit. :giggle1:

Mickmac and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GT: We travelled a day earlier to get our COVID-19 testing out of the way. We’ll train today and be ready for tomorrow."

GT: "The gaffer’s stressed that it’s extremely important that we progress to the next round. We want European football this season. It was disappointing to go out of the Champions League but we’re in the Europa League now and our aim is to qualify."

GT: "We know it’s going to be a tough game and it won’t be easy. The onus is on us to put on a performance and do what we need to do to get the win

GT: "It’s vital that we perform on the night with it being a one game tie, there’s no room to slip up. We’ll do our best to make sure that doesn’t happen."

GT: "We’re lucky that we have
    @ScottBrown8
    as the captain, he’s a great motivator. We all have our own self-motivation but with Broony and the gaffer, we have great motivators there. There’s no lack of motivation within our squad."

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE’S been harshly compared with Kieran Tierney by disgruntled Celtic supporters.

And he knows his manager is keen to bring in another left-back before the transfer deadline.

Has Celtic left-back Greg Taylor been affected by it all? Not in the slightest.

Instead the 22-year-old is even more determined to show what he’s all about.

The scrutiny and the pressure isn’t a problem for the level-headed former Kilmarnock kid.

Taylor accepts it’s all part of life at a top club.

And the Scotland defender fully intends demonstrating in tonight’s Europa League qualifier with Riga what he can bring to the Hoops in defence and attack.

Taylor has been with the champions for a year now and is fully aware of what is expected after replacing Tierney, following his record £25million move to Arsenal.

He said: “I understand everything about the club and what comes with it.

“It’s a massive club, but it’s the kind of expectation and pressure you want as a player.

“We’re expected to win every game and it’s a pressure that all of the squad enjoy.

“I keep my focus on what I’ve got to do. There’s competition everywhere in this squad.

“You just aim to do enough that makes sure the manager selects you for the next game.

“There’s always pressure on you, but I don’t have a big problem with that. I’m at a massive club and you have to expect that. It pushes me on.

“Kieran was a top, top player for the club and he still is that at Arsenal. He’s a great lad.

“I was with him in the last Scotland squad and got on really well with him.

“But it’s for other people to make comparisons.

“I’ve never claimed to be Kieran Tierney. I’m Greg Taylor and that’s all I can be.

“Hopefully that’s enough to continue to play each week for the gaffer.

“There’s very big expectations on every player at the club and I’m no different. It’s just one of those things. I’m fine with it.

“I feel I can deal with the pressures. It’s something I’ve become accustomed to. It’s natural. I feel I can handle it. I feel I’ve handled it well since I signed for Celtic.

I am feeling good, feeling ready for what’s to come.

“I’m enjoying playing. I’ve been involved in eight of the nine games this season and it’s something I want to continue. I love playing at this club.”

Neil Lennon’s search for additional left-sided cover has been stepped up since the departure of Boli Bolingoli.

Charlton’s Alfie Doughty is still prominent in his thinking after two failed bids.

Whoever comes in, Taylor is cool over the idea of a fight for his place.

The £2m signing has featured in all but one of the Hoops matches this season and he said: “It’s not a big problem for me. Boli’s gone out on loan, so there’s a vacancy there. It’s understandable that the manager’s looking to bring someone in.

“It’s competition and that drives every player on. It’s something that we love having in the squad.

“I just have to do enough in training and games and aim to constantly get better.

“If I’m selected then it’s about giving my all and trying to help deliver clean sheets and assists.”

Despite his critics among the support, Taylor’s ability to hurt defences this season has been well demonstrated.

And he has every faith in Celtic’s front line to execute any quality delivery he puts in.

Taylor said: “I take pride in what I can bring to the attack. Assists are something I want to continue to rack up.

“When you’re playing at full-back at Celtic you’re on the front foot a lot and it’s been even more so when we’ve been using wing-backs.

“I’ve got four assists this season and three in the league. It’s not a bad start.

It’s certainly something to build on and hopefully I can rack up a few more.

“I do feel confident with the strikers we’ve got. They’re all scoring goals.

“Odsonne Edouard’s got five or six, Albian Ajeti’s four or five, Patryk Klimala’s also chipped in with a few.

“Ryan Christie also gets you goals from midfield. We’re very fortunate we’ve got a great range of attacking players.

“For the boys creating, it’s a fortunate position to be in.”

Victory in Latvia this evening will put Celts in the Europa League play-offs.

Taylor added: “Our results in the main have been good.

“We had a disappointing night at home to Ferencvaros, of course we did. We were all disappointed with that.

But results have been strong. We’ve only dropped two points in the league and we’ve scored so many goals.

“It’s been good, but there’s still more to come. We’re not the finished article by any means. But we’ll get there.

“We are building momentum and the aim is to win the next three or four games until the international break.

“We didn’t progress in the Champions League and it was disappointing on that evening. It still hurts us.

“But we can only control what’s in front of us and that’s Thursday. Hopefully we’ll progress in the Europa League.

“It’s a must and every player knows that. The gaffer stresses that, the coaching team and the whole club. It’s a minimum expectation to have European football at this club.”

19. The67Sound

I think he's improved quite a lot since he came in tbh. Remember him messing up great chances to cut the ball back to the penalty spot in pre-season and feared the worst, but his crossing and positioning have definitely improved since then. We were hardly going to sign a superstar left back so bringing someone in to push him makes sense, but if he keeps improving at a similar rate I think he can do a good job for us.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He has a base to grow from but at the risk of sounding like a broken record his lack of pace and directness will ultimately hamper him here.

I’d love to see his possession stats btw, as a side note, backwards or sideways he almost never loses the ball.