1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's looking good.

He whipped in a cross that effectively put it on a plate for Eddie to score v Nice. Similar to a few of his crosses at McDiarmid Park when he first came into the team.

I always advocated to give Taylor his chance when Boli was out of sorts last season; at this point I don't even think it's a contest between the 2. Taylor is our #1 LB.

He offers more to the team in defence and going forward.

Graeme1888 and annieroos83 like this.
  2. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He's no a player I wanted us to sign but the wee fella is definitely winning me over. Consistent enough at a decent level with a minimum of mistakes if he can add that wee bit of extra anything be it attack, strength in the tackle or bit of pace then I can see him really pushing on. If he can't improve any further then we have at least a good squad player in him.

And a good squad player for us is something a lot of players will wish they could be.

Rydo1888* and Dan Breen like this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think he’ll be a much better player when the penny drops for him here. By that I mean he realises he’s good enough and has confidence in himself to be our first choice left back for a prolonged period.

I keep seeing things in him which makes me think there’s so much more to come.

Scotia and King of Kings like this.
  4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I'm honestly not seeing what some of you guys seem to be seeing in Taylor. I definitely feel he's nothing more than squad player.

For me we need to be looking at our Rb as the template. Taylor's no where near that level with all respect to him. A gk and a lb would be my first picks for the transfer window.

You don't sell Tierney and replace him with two mediocre players.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Venomspawn82 likes this.
  5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He's levels above Boli, Boli only has pace and power. Taylor is great technically with the ball, going forward and defending he's solid not mention his graft and not feart of a tackle.

I'm not even happy having Boli as a back up, just a liability in defence.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Unfortunately we were always going to be downgrading from Tierney. He's arguably our best LB of the last 30 years.

Anyone coming in on the back of that was always going to have a hard task; we've become accustomed to seeing a tenacious, hard-tackling warrior who was equally capable at hurting at the other end of the pitch.

Admittedly Boli and Taylor are neither of those but then nor has anyone going back to maybe McGrain.

Taylor doesn't have the energy or raw pace of Tierney but his defensive stats actually compare reasonably well.

If we can ship out Boli and bring in an upgrade then I'm all for it but exceptional LBs aren't 10 a penny.

pop47 and Peej like this.
  7. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm the same as you. He can have a good game here & there(St Johnstone) but should not be our no.1 LB. I will always give players time & will give him a bit more before deciding if he is a total dud.

I did feel tonight he got doubled up on alot & never really got any help from Moi.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It was a tough gig for both him an Mo last night against such quality opposition but both done well.

9. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I didnt think he was all that great, got in good positions but his final pass and decision making was very poor I thought.

Fontaine and Dan Breen like this.
  10. Maestro 08

Think people are being too harsh on him. Watching the last few games he has been one of our best performers.

Elyonoussi is lazy coming back to help him out, leaving him unfairly exposed and another criticism of Moi is him throwing his arms in the air, it's winding me up no end. With erratic Ajer behind him and lazy Mo in front of him he was well up against it. Did well despite this imo.

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The few times he got into good positions, there was not much on for him. He did a decent shift defensively.

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

A hard working decent left back, needs to improve his passing in the final third but he is miles ahead of Boli in all aspects other than pace.

He'll be fine in domestic games but may get exposed on euro nights.

Dan Breen likes this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right now, I do see an improvement in him, still some aspects to work on, do like his attitude.
    So I am only concerned about goalkeeping situation now.
    If we can get a quality keeper in, its just a few tweaks here and there, maybe a few loans and we will be in good shape.

14. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I still think he should be #2 LB. He's done ok but I feel like he is very limited.

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON is hopeful Greg Taylor will be fit for next week's Premiership curtain raiser against Hamilton.

The Celtic defender was forced off injured shortly before half-time in today's 2-0 friendly win over Ross County at Parkhead.

Taylor required treatment following a rash challenge from Connor Randall midway through the first-half.

He tried to play through the pain barrier but broke down again minutes later before eventually limping off.

Youngster Kerr McInroy was sent on as a replacement, with Boli Bolingoli not included in the matchday squad.

But Lennon played down fears ex-Kilmarnock star Taylor could be set for a lengthy period out.

He told Celtic TV: "He's alright. It's just a trauma.

"So hopefully he'll be fit to train this week on either Wednesday or Thursday.

"It's strapped up at the minute. It was a little bit sore, but hopefully in a couple of days the swelling will go down and he'll be okay."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Excellent today.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  18. Celtic Bhoy 94

Saw him get beat in a one on one early in the first half and just knew he'd have a stinker after that how wrong was I. Bend it like Taylor

19. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A wee mistake early on but came on great after that. Some really good crosses and movement from him today.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He does lack pace but makes up for it with his quality on the ball and his crosses are immense.

Just worry when gets caught 1 on 1 against a pacey winger.