1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

Going to be interesting to see him play.

Could he be the better link as a ST that helps accommodate both Kyogo and Abada as wingers?

If he is, jesus, our attack could get even more lethal. If Kyogo is made to play oit wide and cut in and run at defenders whilst Big G bullies players and win headers he could still be highly effective.

Do we have the crossing ability in our squad to make use of his heading though is my only concern

martin_d likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Or why don't we do what works? Kyogo in the middle, scored a hatrick. Put on wing, doesn't. Get him in the middle. This new guy can come on at 60.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye the fact we commited to bringing in a natural left winger as well tells you that Kyogo is the main striker through the middle - the Édouard replacement.

Giakoumakis is the backup striker to offer us something different.
    No doubt there will be times when Kyogo is out left anyway, but I'd be surprised if it's through choice while everyone is fit and ready.

Giakoumakis will likely be played more in games like the Huns and Alkmaar where we couldn't get the ball forward properly, so we may revert to long balls and for the big man to be cushioning them down for supporting players.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

4. AussieGreek

The main and most important point is we now have options at front that can be utilized to change a game. Kyogo and Giakoumakis offer different things, and this is brilliant.

I can also see Kyogo playing out wide or having a rest to allow Giakoumakis (Big Jackie bhoy) to do his things in games against Ross County, Dundee etc.

Big Jackie also appears to be a confident penalty taker, I’m sure this will be useful.

FranceCelt, Tommy25, martin_d and 3 others like this.
  5. JamesM09

Nope, referring to Giakoumakis.

I’m not saying he’ll be moved to the reserves after a year, I’m just saying based on what I see Ange will be looking for a higher quality player but has seen a good player in his prime and brought him in to fill a gap in the short term, but knowing he will want better in the longer term.

In other words, he will keep looking.

To that end the length of the contract isn’t relevant. You’re hardly going to sign a player and give him a 1 or 2 year contract.

Obviously I’m speculating but the basic point I’m trying to make is good managers will often compromise on what they want to buy themselves some time. My early vibe is Ange has done that superbly here.

martin_d likes this.
  6. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Or he plays with 2 strikers in a 352

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    An exciting idea. Montgomery and Juranović out wide.

muaythai postie likes this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don’t think he’ll ever move away from 433, unless injuries mean we have to.

muaythai postie likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You think the 26 year old Eredivisie top scorer signed on a 5 year contract is a 1 year stop gap signing?

10. Mr Cleansheets

This for sure.

JamesM09 likes this.
  11. JamesM09

Yes. Try and look past the "Top scorer Eredivisie tag" for a moment, if you can. You know he scored something like 10 goals in the previous 6 years before that, right?

In my opinion Ange has found a cheap player that can do a job and is in the form of his life. I think he will get a good season, maybe 2 out of him. I think Ange will suspect this too and will be actively looking for a better, long term option to fill the role.

It's a very clever signing but I think it will be a stop-gap to get through this season while Ange searches for better players.

martin_d and bhoy81 like this.
  12. JamesM09

Glad someone gets it.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Take the top Eredivisie scorer out of the equation - we’ve gave a guy who’s 27 in December a 5 year contract. He’s a stop gap nothing, in the eyes of Celtic. Whether he turns out to be or not.

14. JamesM09

Whether we actively look to sign a better striker or not in the next year or so will be what tells, especially if we spend a decent chunk of money.

The length of the contract has little relevance. Sometimes you need to give a lengthy contract to secure the deal. Either way players can be sold or moved down the pecking order. My speculation is the intention is to have GG perform a key role this season and maybe next but we'll look to upgrade in the next couple of windows. Performances will dictate if that plan changes.

Let me put it another way - I don't think Ange will stop knocking McKay's door looking for £6m-£8m to be spent (or a significant amount in general) on a quality striker in January or next summer just because GG has come in. I don't think McKay will be able to point to GG to get Ange to stop asking.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Club just announced he’s taken number 7

JC Anton likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Our number 7..:fear:

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Seen that, bold as *!

JC Anton likes this.