1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    The point is you were judging a player on his first minutes, but now saying that others shouldn’t judge Oh on his first minutes. The point is, that while he’s not the same style as Rogic, Mooy is effectively replacing him with his goals and assists. The point is that player 6 months later is the form midfielder. Nothing like what you said. Give Ange a chance to work his magic with Oh rather than wanting us to needlessly fill the squad with a player that won’t play.

No we didn’t sign him from the EPL, but that’s where he would’ve been playing had he not chased the money.

2. G40B

I, and many others, judged Mooy on a number of games.

Mooy came good as he was allowed time due to the multitude of quality we have in the middle.

We have two strikers, Oh being one. If Kyogo gets injured can he step up? Who knows - 9 minutes tells us nothing either way.

I think this is another case of people getting all angry over opinions that don’t exist. Let’s not ruin another thread - my point has been clarified three times now.

3. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

So who do you have in mind as 3rd striker? Who would you like us to sign?

4. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I trust Ange that he has brought in a player that can step up if Kyogo gets injured. So far Ange has been bang on. If you want a comparison, O’Riley and Abada, both young players who stepped up. Oh has been a primary target of Ange’s.

5. themouth1888

I think for me the issue is we are swapping a known for an unknown. Kyogo gets injured no idea how OH plays. For the record he looks decent but you never know and then it means if 1 striker gets injured its increased playing time for the other. I think we need 1 other in the door

G_portillo and G40B like this.
  6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    There’s about 20 games to go in about 18 weeks. It’s hardly a brutal schedule.

7. G40B

And Ange deserves the trust. However, those players mentioned benefited from the strength in depth in their positions.

Can people honestly say they’d be 100% confident Oh would take over from Kyogo, if Kyogo was to be ruled out for a couple of months?

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Still think it's bizarre we didn't hold on until summer..as long as the player knows he's off, he'll be happy, It's only a couple of months

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  9. sabzz1888

Can't see another coming in, it will be Kyogo>Oh with Maeda as backup 3rd.

Skelleto likes this.
  10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    O’Riley took over from Cal. Nobody knew if GG was going to take over from Kyogo. You are wanting guarantees that don’t exist. Bringing in another striker just bloats the squad when we have players that can fill the gaps. That is why Ange targets players that are versatile.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  11. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maeda is patently not good enough to be a striker. He is good at other things like running at defences non stop and tracking back, but he misses too many gilt edged chances to be considered a finished striker. He is more a winger or utility player. Twenty important games to go, many of them season defining games, including a Cup Final and potentially another Cup Final.

A third experienced striker would give us cover for injuries and suspensions etc.We don't know yet how Oh will adapt to the Scottish game, it's early days.

As I have mentioned before, to go with only two strikers, one still untested, is a risky gamble mid season.

One I would not take.

Big C likes this.
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Keeping 3 strikers happy isn't that easy, unless the third either doesn't mind never playing which means that they probably aren't good or they play another position like Maeda does.

13. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Personally, I'd be trying to get a loan with an option to buy on a young striker that hasn't made the breakthrough at a good club yet.

I think having 2 good young players fighting it out to be backup to Kyogo is a safer bet than having Oh with Maeda as an emergency option.

NakamuraTastic and Taylor1 like this.
  14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Primary reason why the 2+1 setup will remain. We saw what apparent unhappiness with game time caused. I trust Oh to be able to batter his way through a defense if needed.

15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    MLS career suicide ffs having said that he's only really had two decent seasons in his career. Don't begrudge him not wanting to play 2nd fiddle. Wish him the best.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Keeping three competent players for every position is a good policy, if possible.
    Most big teams operate with three finished strikers, no utility or makeshift strikers.

We have potentially four Hun games still to come, two league games with them which are potentially six pointers.
    They operate with at least three finished strikers, Colak, Morelos and Roofe.
    We have two.

Two difficult games still to come with an improving Heart's side in the mix too.

We want to lay a marker down to Beale's Hun side. We haven't done that yet.
    Maeda misses an incredible amount of absolute sitters to be considered a finished and complete striker.

I like insurance policies in cases like that.
    A third striker is imperative I think, if you want to be sure of laying down that marker and winning silverware this season.
    Nothing should be taken for granted. It has to be earned.

17. TheHappyLoss

Am confused, so he’s not away yet?

18. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I think the issue is is that you are focussing on only 9 minutes when there is clearly more data than that

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Maeda is trusted by Japan as a central striker, he also took his goal well at Ibrox, from a central position.. he does miss a few but so does Kyogo.. I'm fine with him as a 3rd choice if need be...

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    3 competent players at each position isn't really possible unless youth are passable, you need players who can play more than one position. A full back who can cover both sides, can a cb fill in for a fb, wingers who can cover am or St.

jvalin likes this.