1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Hooper

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by samson81, Jul 27, 2010.

Discuss Gary Hooper in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Did he? I always thought he got ignored.

If he did, he never got a look in afterwards anyway

2. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Sure he did as well probably while there were multiple call offs & only for a friendly.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

5. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    He seemed to score often against the filth. That went a long way to making him a fan favorite as it does for anybody who regularly puts the huns to the sword.

But in my opinion he wasnt as good a striker as Dembelle. Dembelle I think has been the best striker we have had since Larsson. But then again....thats another one that left strictly for the money

6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

But Dembelle didn’t come here for the money.

He could have earned far more over the couple of years he was here, if that had been his driving force.

He came with the right attitude to develop his game at a great club & I don’t think he ever tried to hoodwink us that he would be moving on.

7. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I think thats the problem really. Our fans having to accept that players use our club as a stepping stone. For us fans pulling on a Celtic jersey would be a dream. We wouldnt ever ask for anything else. For other players its a stepping stone to a contract in England. Virgil Van Dyk, Wanyama, Hooper, Forster, Ki all signing for us with motives not to stay here but to move on.

If even a die hard Celtic man like Tierney can get lured down there for the money then we've absolutely no chance of keeping our best players and thats what hurts for a lot of the fans. And it wont stop there. Eduoard, Julien.....maybe even Forest will be looking down south to treble their wages.

lazyregula likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes because the likes of Van Dijk moved soley for the money, not to have the chance of winning CL’s and competing for Balon d’Or’s?

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Well yes considering he left us for Southampton. Nobody there is winning Champions Leagues or Balon D'Ors.

He won them when he moved to Liverpool. He left us to go to Southampton for more money. A shitload of players are now looking at Celtic as a possible stepping stone to the EPL and megabucks.....thats whats happening to us as a club right now

10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

That suggests he’s using Southampton, an epl team as a stepping stone as well. That must hurt them as they think they are a big team because they are in the epl.
    If Barcelona or Real Madrid come in for him he will step away from Liverpool as well. So you see most clubs are stepping stones, it’s how you deal with it that counts.

If it benefits us while they are here, I’m happy.
    I’m even happier if the money we make is reinvested in the playing side mainly.

I also understand some of the money has to be reinvested in the clubs infrastructure & sustainability.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He has left us, and is now winning Champions Leagues and competing for Balon d’Or’s. He left us because he knows he has a much higher glass ceiling than the SPFL. That’s just very, very simple.

StPauli1916 and Whoflungdung like this.
  12. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Well thats a good point. It is how you deal with it that counts. Im not entirely convinced however that our board is re-investing the money properly. Considering the amount we raked in for Dembelle and Tierney, and aside from the Julien transfer fee....we've been messing around with more loan deals again. The fans can see through it and a good looking balance book is not pushing the club forward. Its treading water rather than striving to achieve more. Thats why fans get annoyed.

But the point remains....unless a player is moving from us to a big EPL team.....like Tierney did with Arsenal. Then they are moving for the money alone. Nobody would seriously grudge a player a move to an EPL top 4 team when its clearly furthering their career. Players know that the smaller EPL teams can realistically treble the wages Celtic are paying. And when the opportunity arises they jump at the chance....and our board bites said club's hand off for a transfer fee and a profit. Fans get * off with this eventually. It might be reality. But that doesnt stop fans getting * off

13. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Nothing could be truer mate !!!

14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

We are working to a business model that now means no one can pull the plug on us. It limits our spending obviously but the upsides are worth it imho.

Players with huge potential, future stars, are choosing us over plenty of other clubs to come here & develop.

We’re doing & looking far better in the EL than recent years.

We haven’t lost a domestic cup game in * knows how many games (3 + years).
    The league trophy has been on the mantle piece for 8 years & we’re favourites again.

We’re selling academy graduates for record breaking amounts, I know this can be seen as contentious but I think it sets a benchmark.

We’re also buying & developing players then selling them for record breaking or massive amounts.

Areas outside the ground are looking fantastic.
    I Don’t personally see it as treading water.

I’m hearing the club are also investing in the development of safe pyro. LOL

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I like the end bit. Made me chuckle. Hope it's true :56:

16. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    This is all true. But what the majority of Celtic fans want is the continued success we've been getting but also pushing to achieve more.

Buying, developing and selling players on for record breaking and massive amounts is all well and good (and it is good) but if the money goes to things like the disco lights installed at CP last year, then fund a couple of loan deals and the rest being used to make the balance book look better so the board get their bonuses at the end of the year then the majority of fans will start to get * off sooner or later.

No one can argue with our domestic success over the past 8 years. But we've made the same mistake time and again in the past where we haven't used our position of strength to push on to the next level. If you dont strive to improve. Bring in an even better standard of players (who will cost more money buts the way it is) then the only way to go is down. If we * up TIAR then there'll be a head hunt for our board members by the fans believe me

17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I agree with the sentiment but, I think we are strengthening across the squad & in the team.
    We have “spare” players for every position now, which wasn’t the case several months ago.

You mention “bring in a better standard of player who will cost more money.” A better standard than who? the ones we sell?

I honestly think people see the transfer fee & forget all about the increase in wages, but there is one every time.

It looks like our coaching academy is bearing the fruits now & the recruitment side seems to be improving ( admittedly mainly on the recent window)

The loan players cost a substantial amount in wages, Elyanoussi is probably beyond our reach but he’s here on loan for now & who knows ? it was said paddy & Eddie wouldn’t be bought but we tried for one & also got the other.

2 very poor domestic results has got People’s back up & I understand that, but we are improving. A couple of weeks ago most posters thought everything was rosy in the garden, just check back in any number of threads & you will see the positivity dripping out of loads of posts.

The media are trying to portray recent results as a disaster, * them. We will overcome these setbacks, trust me.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Earlier in the season when we crashed out the Champions League qualifiers against Cluj people were already counting the hours on Lennons recent tenure as manager. Then we won convincingly at Ibrox and people were heaping massive praise on him and the team again. Its the way it goes with our fans infact football fans in general.

Two poor domestic results are not the end of the world. Most level headed fans that can remember the really * times can see this. But the overall picture is what concerns me. We cant just keep bringing players with the view to the sell on fee and how much profit we stand to make. The fans want quality players who are already the finished article....who are here to push us forward in Europe and move us on to the next level. Making a profit is great. But if every time we have a Dembelle or Tierney or VVD or Wanyama on our books and the only thing certain is that they will eventually leave for England then it gets a bit wearing and will make the fans * off eventually. We shouldnt just accept that our club is a stepping stone.

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Any player that excels at our club will attract interest & offers & rightly so that’s just the way it is.

If we’re to improve like you said then selling Tierney for £25.000.000 should mean getting a better player, how much do we spend as there are no guarantees in football usually. However I will guarantee you if we pay £5,0000,000 the player won’t be the same standard as KT when he comes.
    Personally I would have burst the wage structure wide open to have kept him even just for the 10.
    The problem is players don’t leave just because they want the extra money, they want to be tested against the best to fulfil their potential & be all they can be, which unfortunately but definitely won’t happen in the spfl.

20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Not surprised to see Hooper in the A-League, strange to go to one of the worst clubs though, I guess money talks $$