1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gabby Agbonlahor

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CountyDownFaithful, Sep 10, 2018.

Discuss Gabby Agbonlahor in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I meant the club, why would you pay someone that much? He never even scored that much.

2. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Would rather Robbie Keane , Henke or even the wee free styler guy over him

3. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agbonlahor is likely quite wealthy and currently unfit.
    He was a useful enough player in his prime who played a high intensity game. Quite likely a player Rodgers would have liked. Can play wide and up top.

But there's no incentive for him to bust a gut for us should we sign him.
    I suspect he would be just going through the motions. Too many players are playing footballer rather than playing football. How long would it take him to get to the high standard of fitness Brendan demands? We can sign players in January, would he have hit peak by then? A fit Christie is currently a better option.

If it were a pay as you play deal you could also dangle a one year extension as an extra incentive.
    And if management were convinced of his desire to push himslef then I'd go for it. A lot of if's there though.

I just think the lad wants one last payday.

ChrisMoh and Westlondonscot like this.
  4. oh bhoy

Nope I'd spend some of that £20 million on a good striker

5. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Let the Huns have him

6. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    No he's pish injury prone and not prolific to be a striker, what we would be buying is a Kenny miller that doesn't play

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

7. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This would be awful

8. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Where is Moult who played for Motherwell these days? I was impressed with him when he was with them.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

If Saturday afternoon was a nostalgic look largely at what used to be – Henrik Larsson, Joos Valgaeren, John Mjallby, Stiliyan Petrov and Jackie McNamara all offering a vision of what was once de rigour at Celtic Park – there might have been something a little more tangible to come out of what was an entertaining kick-about all in the name of charity.

Former Aston Villa striker Gabby Agbonlahor found the net after being set up by Larsson, but the sight of the 31-year-old scoring in a Celtic shirt may not be entirely confined to the memory of a Saturday stroll in the name of raising money for cancer research.

Capped three times by England, Agbonlahor is currently a free agent and in the aftermath of Saturday’s game the striker was eager to talk up his chances of planting a flag north of the border.

"I think every player if they had the chance to play for Celtic would take it,” he said. "Can you imagine playing in front of 60,000 people inside this place.

"I told one of the lads I'd get sent off in the first minute due to adrenalin and sheer excitement. I have always thought what a great stadium this is and that it produces a magnificent atmosphere especially during Old Firm games.

When the Celtic fans start singing that song: 'You'll Never Walk Alone' it has always given me goosebumps watching it on TV. It would be something else to actually play in it.”

While it was the Celtic Foundation and the respective foundations of Petrov and James Milner who will benefit from the game that was taken in by around 20,000 supporters, there could be a draw for Brendan Rodgers’ side too.

Rodgers, sporting his civvies on Saturday afternoon as he relaxed in the dug-out, might have had cause to reflect on just what a youthful Larsson would have brought to his team. Still sporting his trademark leanness and deft touch – a nutmeg of Joe Hart brought forth a loud ‘boo’ from the stadium announcer after the impending goal was cleared off the line – Larsson and Robbie Keane already seem like a throwback as to when the financial climate was not so entirely restrictive.

There was an intriguing thought, then, when Agbonlahor issued his come-and-get-me-plea.

"You can never rule anything out - can you?” he said. "I will try and speak to Brendan Rodgers and we willsee what happens!

"At the moment I am considering my options. I want to do what is best for me and my family. I have young kids and for me to move to another place and another country is a big decision for me. I definitely want to play on and I wouldn't rule anything out.

“Me and my agent will decide what happens next.”

The striker is without a club after being released by Villa but he has been training himself in order to stay fit.

"I'm good and raring to go,” he maintained. "I am fit and I have been keeping myself ticking over.

"You have to. Even in a game like Saturday’s you want to win the game. Every player has that competitive edge.”

Agbonlahor’s 17-year association with Villa brought forth 87 goals for the club and is the club’s record Premier League goalscorer. Could he do it in Scotland?

"It is a tough league,” he said. “If you look at the teams there is Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Heartswho all have some great players in their sides.

"If an opportunity comes for me to play in Scotland and the move is right for me and my family then I would take it.

"From growing up watching Old Firm games I would have followed Celtic. I was at Aston Villa with Stiliyan, Martin and Chris and they are all massive Celtic supporters.

It is a massive club and even just to come here and play in a charity match is an honour. When Stiliyan asked me to play I said: "Yes, put my name down first!'

"You want to do your bit for charity as well as play alongside some superstars.”

Capped by England three times, the striker also believes that the addition of Steven Gerrard to the Scottish football landscape has increased the draw of the game south of the border.

The former Liverpool captain lost his first game against Celtic last weekend but in terms of the broader picture, Agbonlahor expects that there is a degree of intrigue again in what is going on in Scottish football.

"More people are tuning into Scottish football down south because Steven Gerrard is now the manager of Rangers,” he said.

"There was huge interest in last week's Old Firm game.

"The English press built it up a lot more and it was being shown every minute on SKY Sports. Everybody was watching that game. I rushed home myself to see it. I got in at 11am and I knew the kick-off was at 12 but Ijust wanted to watch all the build-up.

"It is a fascinating game."

The striker might get off the sofa for a closer look."

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Carlton Cole came with a cracking song but, 100% worth it!

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Oh Gabby gabby
    Gabby gabby gabby gabby agbonlahoooooor

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

His baldy is fine
    He’s scored about 3 belters in his time
    That’s why we sing this song, for Gabby Agbonlahor

:39:

13. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Burn this thread and then condemn it to the pits of *.

Peej and Seosamh Máirtín like this.
  14. Damnati

I actually wouldn't have minded Gabby as a back up striker but to sign him after a charity match would be just too Sevco for me. Pass.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I want him if only to be able to keep Edouard and Griffiths fresh for all the upcoming games we have.

16. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    [​IMG]

Did he do the chernobyl paper round when he was younger?

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    * it why not if he got himself in shape

18. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    A very under appreciated comment my friend

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If people have “always loved to have played here” they can come and * do it in their prime.

Seosamh Máirtín, RabS and Nasser like this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's obese.

Keano88 likes this.