1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Backs in Central Areas

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Jul 24, 2021.

Discuss Full Backs in Central Areas in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ynwa1987

This video break it down quite well. Basically it creates more passing lanes and allows the centre midfielders to push on more. I think it could work pretty well but we would need to improve the quality of our full backs massively.

craigtheceltic and MAP like this.
  2. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    That confirmed to me what I suspected about yesterday’s performance. Seemed to me that Soro was getting caught upfield too far and too often. Think early on Soro had some success stepping up into the high midfield on the edge of the box, which seemed to emboldened him further. The consequences were he was nowhere to be seen on the counter attacks.

Good thing is we got this performance out of the way in a preseason game and it will give Ange some great teaching moments for the players.

3. ynwa1987

Yea when they counter attacked we looked so vulnerable. I think if we recruit correctly we could play this system pretty comfortably in the spl will probably hammer a few teams.

From what Iv heard Ange isn’t willing to compromise his attacking style of play which makes me concerned if we have to play some better teams in Europe at some stage.

That being said iv loved every thing Ange has said and think he’s done well considering the absolute shambles he has inherited. I’m excited to see what he can produce this year

craigtheceltic likes this.
  4. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I think the ethos is you don’t stand still when we have the ball you are constantly looking for a position to receive and then pass the ball and move if that is coming inside then that’s what you have to do but as someone else said if you have 2 decent full back it doesn’t matter when you have Taylor and Ralston you’d be as well teaching them to be Brickie’s

5. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Having watched that video the one thing is you need your players to be able to do is receive the ball in tight spaces and clear it out their feet quickly so they can get the next pass or shot away. In order for this to work we need players who’s first touch is excellent, well there is not to many defenders in our side you can say that has that attribute

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Obviously it's a new set-up and we don't have the player's for it but it's very noticeable how easy we've been to exploit down the side's in the last week..

Hopefully that changes when quality comes in..

Dublin Celt likes this.
  7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Ye but did you see in first few mins that pass think from Christie that played Taylor in like he's a centre forward. We are gonna be a bit more exposed at the back but at the same time the other night if barkas hands weren't dust we would have had a clean sheet

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

McChiellini.. and NomDePlum like this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I like how he uses his full backs, it won’t work with our current ones however.

You need to either have pace, a trick or a forward pass. Literally all the things Taylor and Ralston have never possessed.

neilly1987 and Mr Shelby like this.
  9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Here's hoping he has a plan b.

10. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We conceded three with Bain in goals. I love how attacking Ange's tactics are but there are serious problems in defence if you don't have the players for it.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    So nearly a month on, I think this is working very well and I was never a fan of it. It does build the attack very well, leaves some gaps going back to be fair but I think it’s a quite acceptable trade off.

Valhalla and NomDePlum like this.
  12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In theory one of the big upsides is, the fullbacks should be closer and more able to slide back into position for counter-attacks against us. Still have to defend properly but that is one big advantage, instead of when FBs bomb on and are caught out way, way, way up field, and if someine is having to sprint 70-80yards repeatedly just to get back into position before actually putting any thought into defending, then that's a good thing, by letting the forward and MF players adopt those wider areas as well as through the middle.

13. MAP

Pffft. You're just saying that because your namesake has been playing like Messi!

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It must be absolutely brutal to play against tbh.

Take Gary Mackay-Steven yesterday for example - he’s spent his entire career shadowing fullbacks back down the wing and now he’s being asked to step into centre midfielder to try and break down our attacks. He and Halliday didn’t know whether they were coming or going yesterday and were constantly guessing as to whether Ralston was going to step inside, undercut Forrest or overlap him.

It’s definitely added an extra dynamic to our attacking play, opened up passing lanes and ensure we have width to stretch teams.

craigtheceltic and Liam Scales like this.