1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by JC Anton, Jan 13, 2016.

Discuss Fraser Forster in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  3. seanm

brilliant from the great wall.HH

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
  4. seanm

notorious you are the man yet again many thanks pal.HH

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and Dan Breen like this.
  5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Is there an option to buy in the loan?

6. ddub11

Remember it well,on a side note the atmosphere seemed really good that game and it got me thinking the way away fans are been restricted at the games we play against the hun these days.
    I know some are happy with it but when i see games like that with the fans creating the atmosphere i think it was a bad decision.

Lilac Wine and Random Review like this.
  7. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Only goalie jersey of ours I have is from Broucs’s last season, think I’ll be getting one from this year. Love the big man to bits.

Rydo1888* and bagforlife like this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He has probably saved more penalties this season than both CG and Bain have their Celtic careers.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FF: It’s always good to save a penalty. It was a good result and a good team performance."

FF on #CELKIL: "The most important thing was the three points. In the second-half especially, we were bang on it. As I say, it’s nice to save a penalty and contribute to the team performance."

FF on the current squad: "We’ve got a squad we can be very excited about. I think the new lads have all settled quickly and that’s all credit to the lads who’ve been here for a few years. They’ve made it really easy and it’s like I’ve never been away."

FF on #UEL: "It’s always good to get a point away from home. We’ve got off the mark and got the ball rolling, and looking at the rest of the group there’s no reason why we can’t be really positive and try to pick up a lot of points

FF on #CelticFC fans: "It’s been a fantastic relationship I’ve had with the fans here. It’s something very special and something I really cherish."

FF on European nights at Paradise: "I can't wait. Everyone knows how special it is here, and under the lights on a European night at Celtic Park, it’s one of those occasions I can’t wait for."

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic TV view of the save

12. LloydsGamble

Looking like another astute piece of business from Neil.

Very promising so far. Just seems levels above Bain/Gordon.

13. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think he inspires confidence at the back and his penalty save just cements that.

Lilac Wine and Tommy25 like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Fraser Forster insists Celtic would be good enough to go toe to toe with England’s elite in the Premier League.

The on-loan Southampton keeper is convinced Neil Lennon’s side have the quality to match most English top flights clubs if they had to play them on a weekly basis.

It’s a second spell for the 31-year-old in Glasgow and he admits he’s been taken aback by a standard at the club which includes a batch of youngsters as good as any in Britain.

He said: “Looking at what we’ve got in the dressing room and the team we’ve got, there’s no reason why we wouldn’t have a comfortable season in the Premier League.

“I have been surprised at just how good they are. I knew there was a good squad here the second I came through the door but until you actually see people in training and day in day out and you see what they can do

The young lads especially are so talented. As they gather that experience they are just going to get better and better.

“Ryan Christie has been absolutely brilliant. Even from that very first game I watched, he was so positive. Everything he does, he looks to get turned and play up the pitch.

"I just think we’ve got such a good mix of youth and experience. Within that we’ve got so much quality as well.”

The former England number one also reserved a special mention for Celtic’s man of the moment Odsonne Edouard who enhanced an already stunning start to the season with a weekend double in his side’s win over Kilmarnock.

Forster believes you only truly understand the Frenchman’s talent until you face him down in a training session.

He said: “Eddy's been brilliant. He’s such an exciting talent . In previous years I’ve been down south looking in from the outside.

“He’s another one when you see him in training that you really appreciate his quality. He has a knack of scoring big goals in big games. It’s a great quality to have.

He’s been very impressive in training. He always trains well – he’s just a natural finisher.

“From wherever he is he just seems to score and I’ve been really impressed. He’s a fantastic player and we’re very fortunate that he’s in our squad and team.”

REPORTS of Neil Lennon’s new mellower style appeared to have been greatly exaggerated after he picked up a yellow card from referee Greg Aitken in Sunday’s win over Kilmarnock, with the Celtic manager voicing his displeasure in his trademark forthright manner with the official after his award of a penalty against Scott Brown.

Replays showed that what had looked a dubious award in real-time was in fact an infringement by the Celtic captain, but, presuming along with the majority inside the ground that Aitken had erred, Lennon gave both barrels to fourth official Bobby Madden.

In fairness, that eruption of temper has been out of step with Lennon’s approach since his return to the Celtic dugout on the whole, and one man who is well placed to compare the Lennon’s of old and new is goalkeeper Fraser Forster, who has now played under him at the club during both of his spells in charge.

While he agrees that Lennon is now cooler in his approach to management, he says there is no way that his competitive fire has waned, and nor would he want it to.

“The manager has changed a bit and mellowed a bit,” he said.

“He’s just so good at speaking to players and pulling them for a chat.

“That has always been a strength of his, he just knows who needs shouted at to get a reaction, or who needs an arm around the shoulder.

“He knows when to grab players for a chat and install that confidence and belief in the squad. It means when they go out on the pitch, they give their all.

“For me, he’s always been fantastic. He was the first time and since coming back, it feels like I’ve never been away. I can’t speak highly enough of him.

“He 100 percent still has that hunger and desire to win. Maybe at times he is a bit calmer now and doesn’t let outside influences get to him as much maybe. But his desire to win is still second to none and that rubs off on the lads.

“Even in training, in the fives, he makes sure everyone wants to win. He sets the standards and you know what he expects.

I don’t think anyone ever wants to lose that fire. Ultimately that’s the reason why he was such a good player and such a good manager. He’s got that hunger and desire inside of him.

“Whether you are a player or a manager, that not something you’d ever want to lose. I don’t know what way you’d go if you did lose that.

“As a player, being here, he knew what was expected. We all know you need to win when you are at a club like this.

“You can’t accept defeat. You can’t even accept a draw. Every week you are expected to win. That’s the standard that’s required at being at a club of this nature.”

As it turned out, Forster saved the resultant penalty kick from Kilmarnock’s Alan Power on Sunday in any case, and given his stunning track record, that wasn’t really too much of a surprise.

Forster has now kept 13 of the 34 penalties he has faced in his career out of the net, saving 38 percent of all spot-kicks he has faced.

“It’s a nice stat but I need to get it up a bit!” he said.

“There’s not really a secret to it, we just work hard on them in training. We don’t work on penalties every day in training but we do it now and again. I will also have a chat with Woodsy (Stevie Woods, Celtic goalkeeping coach) about a few things and work on it.

“The more you face, the more ideas you get, but I go with my gut feeling.

“There are little tell-tale signs of what the striker is going to do but more often than not, it’s a feeling.

You back yourself and hopefully you go the right way and save it.

“Ultimately, that’s what I am there to do - make a couple of saves. At some point, I am going to be worked and there were two late chances for Killie.

“Thankfully, they both went my way, because that was a really important three points for us after a European game.”

That comeback win over Kilmarnock was all the more impressive from Celtic due to those Europa League exertions in France three days earlier that Forster mentions, earning an impressive 1-1 draw in their group opener against Ligue 1 high-flyers Stade Rennais.

The on-loan Southampton keeper has now challenged his teammates to maintain their levels even in the midst of such a hectic schedule.

“That’s the standards we’ve set,” he said. “There’s enough experience in the squad to know that it’s hard after those Europa group games to travel back and perform.

“We know what’s required.”

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  15. Dziekanowski88 Thig Ar Latha

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jacki Dziekanowski
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Foster is looking good and if he continues to look good for the rest of the season injury free we should definitely be pushing the boat out and pay up to sign him.

I'd rather we pay 7-10 million for a top keeper than another winger or midfielder or even striker.

16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Great save from the free kick, Craig Gordon in and it's 1-1

17. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Well done big Fraser, you were there in the moments when it mattered most.!!

HH.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Let's be honest: Gordon probably doesn't save that and Bain definitely doesn't. So happy to see him home.

19. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    This man is different class. Love him

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. Keano88

The offside goal one?

Thought he made a meal of that tbh. Palmed it back into danger.

Cena likes this.