1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness and weight loss

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Gercelt, Jan 31, 2016.

Discuss Fitness and weight loss in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Actually no it's not as simple as that. Recent research says there's more to it than simple in versus out

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons-why-a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie/

I could go on with references all day but this seems to give a simple explanation. Diet or rather "the foods we eat" whether we like it or not is a science and far more complicated than we can ever imagine.

2. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    It really is. Unless you're trying to become a model, you don't need to go to extreme lengths with your diet, it just adds stress and makes it harder than it should be. I lost a stone of weight in 2 months because i was on a calorie deficit, I put absolutely zero thought into macros.

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    If I eat bread, pasta or potatoes I put on weight even within a calorie restricted diet so those foods obviously work differently in me. I find it hard to explain that.

4. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Theres not a person on this planet who can gain weight on a calorie deficit, it is impossible.

You must have calculated your calories wrong.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Best way to lose weight is to cut out sugar and carbs.

6. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I didn't put that right. To be more accurate when I eat these foods I get bloated and I don't seem to lose anything despite calorie restriction. If I was to eat 1200 cals of bread and potatoes over the day for a week I wouldn't lose weight so I assume it must be how my body processes these foods. I think these foods make me retain water so I avoid them altogether if I can.

7. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

As if one wankdom of a fitness thread full of scientific * was not enough.

8. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Which is what bread and potatoes are. Essentially that's probably how my body responds in the way it does to bread and potatoes.

Now that I eat lean foods, fruit and veg I see better results.

9. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    1200 calories a day would turn you into a stick.

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Behave yourself you :smiley-laughing002: There's been far worse threads in here and well you know it :icon_mrgreen:

11. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

:icon_mrgreen:

I think i have an addiction for crisps these days.

12. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    not me :smiley-laughing002: I'm only 5ft 2 and a bit :rolleyes: That's one of the odd things I found with the FD when you reach the weight you want to be and you try to go back to say 1600 cals a day you start to put on weight again and have to be constantly vigilant. It's like your body got used to doing with less or perhaps it never needed so much in the first place. Then again it could be other factors like age or how active you are.

13. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I do aboot 2 hours of walking a day, its no use but, i eat like a basterd and have curry about 4 times a week.

14. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Am 14stone am thinking of eating just fruit and veg for a month and see howthat goes.

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Erm, hw about ye cut the curries down to about 1 a week instead :97:

Artorias likes this.
  16. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

What height are you ?

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Bumping a totally old thread.

Since our seasons over, May's well concentrate on getting rid of our *, belly and bingo wings. Iv got myself a home gym, bench, kettle bells and some dumbells. Also getting my plyo box delivered tomorrow. Anyone else getting fit for going back to normal?

I'd usually play basketball (I'm pish at playing football, was a qaulity keeper but wanted to be a striker :56: ) anyway I play 3-4 times a week, coach under 16s, and generally a rather fit but fat guy. Obviously iv done * all since March so I'm the most unfit and probably fattest iv been. Not heart attack levels or that, but tshirts are getting a right tight fit.

So I predict playing again by summer. Outside probably by April. The rules basically state over 18s sport indoors will not resume without a vaccine. Litterly on the guidance from basketball scotland. Crazy.

So iv went all out and kitted my garage out, floored it and made a gym. Today I shall start my measurements for vertical jump, arms etc in Time for tomorrow plyo box delivery.

I'm the definition of white men can't jump. 6ft6 and a bit ;) lol and can't dunk. Then again I'm 6ft6 and about 18 stone :56: I can grab a rim so I'm not far off.

Anyway my goals are 14 stone, last time at 14 stone I had abbs. Big juicy baywatch style abbs. For about 1 week of a 2 week holiday at the time :56: should still exist under this belly, somewhere.

I want to be able to dunk again easily hence the plyo box. I need an increase of 6 inches in my vertical and loosing 4 stone along with training my jump I'm hoping for alot more. Cheat code with my height :56:

Iv trained 3 times since Christmas day, and right now I can feel my sore * move as I walk :56: but muscle memory seems to kick in quick from ye old uni body building days. Can already see a bicep and triceps increase. Maybe just be in my mind haha.

I'm gonna try keep a log so hopefully iv bumped the right thread.

I'll admit to not starting the weight loss this week. No point allowing the left over Christmas * to go out of date. However itll give my muscles a slight bulk. Ordered new plates already, arriving this week as I can easily do the 60kg for 12 reps. My old bench PB was 120kg.

Anyway a load of jabbering * but iv nothing else to do so this year I'm going for it. I'll update my before and after photos in a few months when my * aren't as big :56: :56:

Any advice for jump training is welcome. Its one thing iv never actually done so hoping it drastically Improves my leap.

Today I'm training back. My * are to sore :56:

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I think there's a more recent fitness/weight loss thread kicking about somewhere, not that anyone uses that anyway, but more folk might now that it's new year time.
    Where did you buy your weights btw, canny seem to get any anywhere that's either in stock or.a reasonable price?
    I'm still drunk so not exactly a fountain of knowledge, but I'm pretty sure leg work like deadlifts and squats and stuff to do with fast twitch muscle fibres will help with explosiveness for your jumps.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Grabbed them all when they came in stock on mirafit (think that's its name) the 2x 20kg plates etc are only £30 more than the cheapo argos 2x20kg ones but sell out fast as *. About the only place that's not took the * too much tbh. The prices are ridiculous though. I'm getting weights off my dad but there only 1inch and I got an Olympic bar for 100 and odd. Weighs 17.5kg instead of 20 but a bargain compared to the 20kg ones. Rated 300kg aswel. His weights cover my ez bar atleast. I'll take a look and copy paste, can't be arsed retyping that :56:

Here we go! 10 reps in a row.. * sake.

neilly1987 and Artorias like this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nearing 1 month in and #fatbastard has lost 12lb. Should be a full stone by Friday weigh day. Only about another 3 stone+ to go :56: :56:

Now benching 80kg 10 times no issues so waiting on new plates arriving this week. Trying to max out at 5-8 reps.

Iv gained easily 6 inches on my vertical so far. Once I'm another stone down I'm getting a weight vest for the plyo training and walk about with it all day, apparently helps you increase vertical. Need to wear a jacket obviously or ill look like a right *.

Still having a Friday takeaway because iv got to live still :56: apart from that just been keeping healthy and low fat. When I'm down 2/3stone more ill hit the old keto diet iv used before to drop water and maybe see the old mysterious abb thats not been seen since I was about 12 :56: by then ill surely be allowed a holiday to get fat again :56:

Still never found the other thread so I'm firing my updates here for myself :56:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021