1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

It’s a fantastic movie. Another 10/10 from me.

Wllm likes this.
  2. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Watched it a few times now. Any more is probably overkill but really good film.

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Haveto admit a huge film noir fan. Highly recommend Double Indemnity, This Gun For Hire, Blue Dahlia, Glass Key and loads more. Those last couple mentioned because of Veronica Lake & Alan Ladd - even though the Veronica Lake movie clip that is featured in LA Confidential is from Sullivan's Travels.

More recently, about 10-12 years ago there is also another James Elroy novel that was made into a movie, The Black Dahlia, which is worth checking out and ties in with the infamous murder, and the serves as a prequel to the LA Quartet of books. The book of TBD is great but as a movie it's not on the same level as LA Confidential.

Really wish that they'd made the entire LA Quartet into movies, but at least the one that they did do was done superbly well. Great acting, writing and dialogue, direction, set design, music, costume, everything.

"A hooker cut to look like Lana Turner is still a hooker."
    "She is Lana Turner."

Also in even more recently, in the last 2-3 years there is a movie called Motherless Brooklyn which was really good and if you liked LA Confidential, you'd really like that also. Highly recommend it.

They also were going to make LA Confidential into a TV series, but they only made the pilot. I don't think the idea was tp stretch the book out, rather just a series set in that period. You can find the pilot on youtube though, and has Kiefer Sutherland in it, but when it was passed over, he went on to do 24 instead.

scootz, Jacob knows and Wllm like this.
  4. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Cheers mate. These are good recommendations. Always had a fascination with noir type stuff but it was mostly art (Niagara Detroit) and some older films that were shown on tv when I was growing up. Im thinking about starting off with Motherless Brooklyn then Black Dahlia. Better films to start with?

Defo got my Saturday night sorted.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The French Dispatch. Wes Anderson is my favourite director so I’ve been looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint. Such a unique film but wonderfully told and lots of humour throughout. Soundtrack is brilliant too. Already want to watch it again.

FCBarca likes this.
  6. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finch with Tom hanks, excellent movie.

7. Los Palmas 7 something strange happened Gold Member

Just watched it, I think I have something in my eye :52:

8. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Haha i did myself :56:.
    It was such a random plot, tom hanks is just a superb actor.

Los Palmas 7 likes this.
  9. jj81

The owners , started off promising, utter guff , 2.3/10

10. Los Palmas 7 something strange happened Gold Member

Agreed, my favourite actor without a doubt.
    He has been in so many good films. I think he should have called the robot borat though :56:

paulo123 likes this.
  11. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Hahhaha i was * myself at that, defo reminded me of borat lolol

Los Palmas 7 likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Any good thrillers guys ?

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The robots voice pretty much ruined Finch for me - surely they realised he’s literally Borat when they made it?

14. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    I generally like Wes Andersons films but i saw the trailer for this when i went to see Dune and thiught it was guff. Maybe they inly showed the worst bits of it.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How did you like Dune?

Yeah, hard to judge a film by the trailer. Might not be for you regardless though.

16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was disappointed with French Dispatch. It has it's moments and some characteristically quirky tales but all a bit underwhelming. Probably my least favourite of Wes Anderson's films.

Last Night in Soho is considerably different from Edgar Wright's other films such as Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Baby Driver etc, and perhaps because I can't see it, but the soundscape was well textured in conjunction with the AD to really have my imagination run wild at some points and seriously creepy sense of disorientation, uncertainy and .

Dune was decent enough for what it was. The soundscape though is fantastic, and obviously with usch an massive extended universe and so muhc world building that it has to set up, it really feels like half a movie rather than a whole.

Antliers has some creepy moments but on the whole feels a bit underdone. Has a really good cast and the pieces are there and the grimy grundgy texture, but it always just feels kinda... flat.

17. Al Bootyerbaws

No Time to Die - Meh. 5/10. Infact make that 4/10, I'm deducting an extra point for the box ticking exercise with the casting of the new 007 in this film.

18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Eternals

Tedious is the best way to describe this. Off paced, flat, precious little is humourous and it's unnecessarily long. Could've easily been edited by a good half hour and still been more than enough needed to tell the story - even if trying to introducelike 8-9 brand new characters. Maybe it's MCU fatigue, but this was pushing it and was by far the hardest to suspend disbelief for in a long time.

It said that the Eternals will return at the end. If and when they do, I really hope it's a better movie than this one. Maybe this would've been a better fit as a series thanas a mivie but have to judge it for what it is rathe than what it could've/should've been. Taika Waititi was able to resurrect Thor with Ragnarok after the fail that was Dark World, so it is possible, but yeah, Eternals as it stands is a definite misfired dud. :38:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  19. Bonobhoy

The Mist (2007 movie)

Haven't seen it in years and forgot how good an ending that was.

Brutal Twist.

So glad Frank Darabont stuck to his guns and said i will only make this movie if i change the Stephen King ending. King himself said that he wished he had written that ending as it was dark and brutal.

Great Movie.

Well acted as well especially Thomas Jane.

20. stew37

Wasn't expecting it to end that way, was unusual. Fair few actors from Walking Dead in there as well from what I remember, 3 from memory.

Bonobhoy likes this.