1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Al Bootyerbaws

Once upon a time in hollywood - Disappointing 5/10 found it quite boring.

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I turned it aff, over the top *.

scootz likes this.
  3. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Klaus. Solid 8/10

4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What did you make of it? Personally I thought it was incredible. One scene in particular when Ruffalo loses his * was superb.

Valhalla and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yeah was a great film with a brilliant cast also.

Valhalla and Jacob knows like this.
  6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Motherless Brooklyn

Seems likes it's been ages since there has been a new film noir - and it is a goodie! Although it takes it's time to weave as following a gunshoe detective with Tourette's Syndrome as he unravels the central mystery, because it is written so well and the characters feel real, the music is really emersive into the period of 1950's New York, the acting is on point and overall very well crafted makes it all worth while. :50:

21 Bridges

Another goodie, but for different reasons. The dialogue is a bit clunky in places, but the premise and the story overall is terse, tight and well constructed even if the twist is pretty obvious but it works. One thing that I found was especially pleasantly surprising was that so many of the core characters which are both complex and multi-demensional for what is essentially a B movie, but doesn't feel like it and is actually pretty * enjoyable ride. Definitely worth checking out this one also. :50:

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

I really like the look of this.

Gyp Rosetti and Andybhoy like this.
  8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sat through Motherless Brooklyn again today, and now is one of my top 3 or 4 films of the year.

By contrast also sat through Charlie's Angels (2019)... Where to start? This was a complete mess. Unfunny, clunky dialogue, the twist is obvious, terrible and cliche story filled with supposedly smart characters making incredibly stupid decisions. The agenda was laid out with literally the first scene and it was eye rollingly awful and that set the tone for the entire movie. It's actually really insulting to intelligence. :38:

It is an interesting contrast, considering the overall level of control that Edward Norton had as writer, director, producer and star of Motherless Brooklyn, and Elizabeth Banks holding a similiar array of control over this Charlie's Angels rendition. Her assertion about female lead action movies being rejected because of men not liking them is utter nonsense. The Underworld films, the Hunger Games films, and more recent entries such as Atomic Blonde or Alita even before considering the superhero genre, with Wonder Woman & Captain Marvel etc makes it clear. Make a good movie with story and character development etc is evidence of this. There is no getting away from the fact she made a terrible movie, and that is why it has tanked.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Gemini Man.

I usually like Will Smith but I thought this was poor. So many cringeworthy scenes.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Iranian-American vampire, sort of romance tale. One of the weirdest, and most “different”, films I’ve seen. It was okay but could have been about 40 mins shorter and all the better for it.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, it was bad. Really bad.

Think yer man Smith should just retire or something.

12. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Once upon a time in hollywood.

Boring.

Pearse67*, scootz and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    So the new Star Wars has a lot of mediocre reviews already, people saying it’s got too many plots and narratives that don’t go anywhere. Obviously I’m going to go and judge it for myself but I can’t help but feel disappointed already

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just been to see it. People will find a lot to criticise it for but I tried to enjoy it for what it was, and overall I did. There were quite a few things I didn’t like about it but I’m glad I saw it.

LloydsGamble and Graeme1888 like this.
  15. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Aye I suppose I’m basing it off a lot of people
    I follow that love Star Wars and they were just perplexed and unsure about this one.

I’m glad you liked it I’m hoping I will and no doubt I’ll be crying at the end of the movie and the end of an era :giggle1:

16. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    The New Star Wars was utter *. I was very disappointed by the Last Jedi, especially them killing off Luke but it was enjoyable at points. This one is just tripe through and through, I can't believe they wrote this so bad... so many tropes in one movie. Incredibly cringe inducing at some points and clearly rushed. Just gonna enjoy the Mandalorian, this trilogy has been nothing but one mediocre movie after another climaxing with this abomination.

I can't think of a more overrated director than JJ abrams.

Alias was crap, he couldn't maintain Lost. Cloverfield and 10 cloverfield Lane both suck. Then he screwed over Star Trek and now ran Star Wars into the ground. Thank * we got a good game and great mini series or I'd be done with the franchise.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What were you expecting?

18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jumanji: Next Level

The reboot from a couple of years ago was much better than this. Am aure there were some interesting visuals, but storywise it was not nearly as interesting, and far less fun. The jokes really were hit and miss, and some of the running gags, such as they were, got old real fast, pardon the pun. It was ok-ish but not great and not something would be rushing back to catch again.

Jo-Jo Rabbit

A story about a 10yo boy who is obsessed with Nazism during the later stages of WWII in Germany. Not exactly what you would consider ripe material for a comedy, even a dark one. However, it works and there is certainly a good measure of laughs intermingled with more serious notes throughout. From the same director who did Thor: Ragnorok & the Hunt for Wilderpeople (which if anyone hasn't seen then definitely recommend).

19. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Absolutely hated the Last Jedi, literally destroyed any credit the new star wars films had for me, an abysmal plot route supplemented by a director making (Some Correct) political statements but in a movie franchise where they should be absolutely no were near. Saying that I personally think the Rise Of Skywalker is as good as it could get considering the amount of plot holes and routes they have to sort out before the end, would of benefited from it being based over two films rather than on very very intense final film but it was enjoyable with some absolute * in there as well, saying that i just dont think it could be saved from The Last Jedi and tbf TFA was to samey samey.

LloydsGamble likes this.
  20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So Cats is getting tore to shreds.

Must admit when I saw the trailer I thought it just looked weird and freaked me out tbh.