1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Filip Benković

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Aug 31, 2018.

Discuss Filip Benković in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I'm liking the look of him so far; solid and dependable, and fair-ish speed.

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Superb performance last night. Was man of the match for me. Reminded me of Van Dijk as he just seemed to cruise through the game. I know given the money Leicester paid (13m) for him its unlikely we could sign him permanently but if we had a shot he looks like quality level we need long term at center back.

3. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Like the look of him.

* that it's just a loan though.

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Looked like a rock.

I thought our defence was in crisis (that's not saying I don't want investment there, Pete!).

I have a feeling come the summer we're all gonna wish it was permanent.

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Watched his YouTube videos prior to joining as you do, And it was evident there he can ping a pass. On his early showings, this might be the first time YouTube reels are actually quite close to the real thing.

Noticed so many aspects of his game so far that are evident in there. He played the ling diagonal about 5 or 6 times the other night, number of clearing headers and covers in well. Not to mention he's a giant. This is why we should splash out more often if we can somehow attract these players before they move elsewhere.

The big test of course will come against better opposition but I have confidence in him to handle it. A shame he's at Leicester because if man city or someone had him We would probably be looking at 2 years here. With Leicester being a middle of the road club, if he has a stand out season this year they will haul him back down the road.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Filip Benkovic saw Leicester’s £80million-rated Harry Maguire wasn’t leaving the King Power and realised he’d have to.

But having headed north to develop his career, the 21-year-old wants to be a priceless commodity to Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers.

Benkovic cost the Foxes £13m last month and has made an excellent initial impression in hoops.

Two clean sheets in two outings have accompanied a composure and defensive diligence from the Croat. He’s only going to be in Glasgow on loan a single season but the early signs are it will be a successful one.

It’s a move which perfectly suits both parties. Defensively fragile for six weeks, Rodgers’s team needed a stopper. Benkovic needed a chance.

When the Under-21 international joined Leicester from Dinamo Zagreb three weeks before the close of the 
transfer window, he was widely regarded as a successor to Maguire.

Having enjoyed a brilliant World Cup, the Englishman was attracting the attention of Manchester United and a megabucks deal was discussed.

But when the Foxes stood firm and made it clear the door wasn’t open for a Maguire move, another closed for Benkovic.

Foxes boss Claude Puel rates him highly and knew his progression would be stunted sitting on a bench – Celtic were instantly on the case

He said: “I made the transfer to Leicester but I saw their situation – there were a lot of defenders, some players were £80m.

“I looked at the situation 
realistically and wanted somewhere to have a better chance to play and to improve my game.

“Had I stayed there I’d maybe have played some cup games. But the situation was like this – they will 
play Maguire after they rejected Manchester United’s offer.

“I learned a lot from them in training in that month. They have so experienced players and they gave me some good advice.

“But it’s football and sometimes you must look to other places to get a chance because only with games can you get better and better.

“I was happy this move happened. It was maybe on the last day and I waited a long time but everything settled well and now I’m very happy.”

Celtic’s supporters are also very happy with what they’re seeing. Now Dedryck Boyata has regained his focus and place, five successive clean sheets and the prospect of solidity in the side will offer big comfort.

Benkovic and Boyata have been solid through 150 minutes against St Mirren and Rosenborg and the Croat said: “I haven’t trained so 
many times with Dedryck because of the international break. But 
when I did, we trained very well.

“There are some new tactics here, which I like, and I know myself I 
have space to improve on each level of my game. Dedryck is here and there are other defenders too.

But we played on Thursday after playing together in my first game too and I can learn because he’s a very experienced player.

“He’s played all his career at the top level and plays for Belgium, so I’m very happy to be at a team with these big players.”

Benkovic sees countryman Jozo Simunovic as one of those as well.

In truth, the injury-jinxed stopper – who is on the sidelines again with knee issues – is at least fourth pick now with Kristoffer Ajer also ahead of him in Rodgers’s pecking order.

But Simunovic can help his compatriot settle as Benkovic said: “I spoke to him as we know each from Dinamo. He has helped me a lot here and I’m happy he is here.” Friendship is one thing but he didn’t sign to sit on the bench – his sights are trained on building on an excellent start.

Tomorrow’s trip to Kilmarnock offers another chance to shine and morale in the camp has been boosted by Thursday’s 1-0 Europa League win.

Benkovic said: “That was a very good game for us. The atmosphere was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to play.

“It was my first game at Celtic Park and it was an unbelievable feeling.

“The fans were behind us for 90 minutes. They trusted in us and we believed in ourselves.

“We scored at the end and it was a very important three points. This is why we play football – because of this. If someone asks you why you play football you bring him here and see everything. It was very emotional.

“Rosenborg came here not to play so much. But we sort of expected it because in the games before they stayed behind.

It was a tough game and we needed a lot of time to get to their goal. We had some opportunities 
but we believe until the last minute. * gave us it back you know.

“Celtic are a club only interested in winning – winning titles, winning games and, until the end of the season, we want to improve our play.

“I did not know we will play on plastic (at Rugby Park) but this is football and on each pitch we must give everything. If we play on a plastic pitch we will train for it.

“If we play like a team – not 
individually – and fight for each other, I believe we will get a result.”

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  7. shaun.f

Solid human being.Wont be here long if he keeps playing like that.

8. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Our defence was, as highlighted by the comical defending before Boyata/Benkovic came into the fold. Boyata, Ajer, Benkovic is healthy at Europa/SPL level.

Not surprised at all to see us now struggle in attack, could see it a mile off.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR: “Unfortunately, in the warm-up Filip felt his Achilles. He felt it tightens up so he wasn’t fit to play. Hopefully it’s not too bad. He’s felt a sensation and, rightly, didn’t want to risk it.”

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Got to wonder if he thought ‘* this’ after warming up on that surface..

13. strike twice

It's a grass surface at Perth , so get him in the team for Wednesday night .

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Thought the exact same thing myself when I’d heard.

He’s someone else’s 13 million quid asset being asked to play on an artificial Park with bald patches on it. * unbelievable.

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Hope he’s fit for Wednesday or Ajer. A back 3 of Ajer Boyata Benkovic would be solid as *.

16. MartinoBianco

Any update - will be be ok for Wednesday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldnt surprise me if Someone at Leicester was watching the build up and thought " * that he's not playing on that riot of a surface". Got on the blower and demanded he be pulled.

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Wouldn't be surprised, as had mentioned it makes perfect sense. I am surprised Kilmarnock's pitch is allowed to be honest. I don't mind artificial but it has to be of a certain standard. I think Hamilton at least got a new one in during the summer.

rudebhoy67 and Twisty like this.
  19. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    any news on how long hes out for , i know we had a presser just there, was it mentioned , had a quick look but couldnt see anyhting

binlardas67 likes this.
  20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye what’s the script? He alive or whit?