1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Col

I started drinking whisky just before I finished as a chef, my head chef was BIG into it and he got me into it as well, my Mrs bought me a bottle of Talisker recently and I really enjoyed it, Old Puteney is beautiful as well, Auchentoshan is nice but it's 50 quid a bottle but I've had it a few times, quite light and easy to drink.
    Also if you have a chance try Bailie Nicole Jarvie again expensive but worth it.

2. KhingLarsson

I only drink for enjoyment now rather than to get *, I had some bad bad times with drugs/drink and drugs and drink mixed to last me a lifetime so to get * or get wrecked to me is ridiculous, I drink to enjoy the flavour of the drink. I'm a stout and whiskey man. I got into stout when I was 18 and into whiskey about a year ago(only 20) and those are my two choices. I've been searching high and low for the perfect whiskey. Murphys Irish stout is my favourite stout at the moment, completely blitzes Guinness and the only reason Guinness is so popular is because of successful advertising. Murphy's has a great nutty taste to it. Much creamier and smoother than Guinness. The only problem with Murphy's is that you can often get a bad pint due to how its stored its pasteurised rather than artifical preservatives and that means you don't get the disgusting chemical taste of Guinness but when its past it its not so nice. Guinness is consistent but not so great whereas Murphy's varies wildly but if you get the right pint then * * is it lovely.

As for whiskeys, I was stuck doing the rounds with Jack and the two leading Irish brands before I branched out to try and find the perfect whiskey. Still looking, Jameson 12 year old select is absolutely amazing. By far the most beautiful tasting whiskey I have ever drank but the price is horrific. €135 for a litre.

JordyBhoy likes this.
  3. Col

If your into your stouts mate, I advise you to take a look into a few below.

Meantime London Stout (Sainsbury's used to do it and think they still do, quite nice but goes flat quite quickly)
    Okocim Porter (Polish but * lovely can buy it in tesco)
    Out of Bounds (American Stout but you can buy it online, really nice)
    Zonker Stout (another one you can buy online as well, very rich but pure quality)

4. KhingLarsson

Don't have Sainsbury's in ROI mate. Never really tried any outside of the three Irish brands, not easy to get. Have you ever tried Murphy's? is that readily available in Scotland?

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have never seen Murphy's in a bar, in Scotland. Have seen a beer called Murphy's in supermarkets, but I think what I saw was a lager, not a stout. So it won't be what you're referring to.

I wanted to try it as soon as I read that it has a nutty taste to it.

6. Col

I'm in the North mate, my local sells Murphys and I would rather drink a pint of that over Guinness, I only really drink Guinness if I'm in Dublin itself, seems to taste better and rarely do you get a bad pint of Guinness anywhere in Dublin.

All those stouts I listed you can buy online and the Polish one is available in Tesco in the south, it's worth checking them out even if you just order 1 bottle of each.

7. KhingLarsson

Its a subtle nutty taste now minty :icon_mrgreen: don't expect it to taste like a bag of peanuts :56:

8. KhingLarsson

I'll have a try of the Polish one when I get the chance and I'll try and order the others when I get the chance. Cheers for the heads up :50:

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

sooo... do you mix it/water or just drink it straight?

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye don't worry, after going on a distillery tour and reading that a Glenmorangie I tried has 'a fresh, light nose, with hints of the sawmill. Peaches and pears on the palate, along with a slightly youthful exuberance. Deeper oaky and malty notes develop in the finish', I'm not expecting a strong nutty taste from it when I could detect * all of the flavours I was supposed to pick out from tasting whiskies. :icon_mrgreen:

I think whoever writes tasting notes for whisky often decides to neck the bottle before putting pen to paper.

11. R.A.

I'm really a big fan of malts from the islands versus those from other areas. I love Laphroaig and Ardbeg, both from Islay.

Usually have mine with some ice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  12. KhingLarsson

Its all buzz words mate :56:who wants to buy whiskey that tastes like whiskey? when their whiskey could taste like a "Fresh oceans breeze, with subtle spicy aromatic coriander hints. Topped with a minty freshness from the Gochawa plant from Peru, blended with the sweet richness of sugar cane" :icon_mrgreen:

13. monthehoops1888

My fav kinds 1.Glenmorangie 2.Glenfiddich 3.Johnnie Walker

14. R.A.

The people who write these descriptions are on some serious drugs. I went to the Famous Grouse distillery in September and of the 20 or so things they mentioned that it's supposed to taste like the only one I could discern was vanilla.

However, I wish that I had that job so I could make up tasting notes that make no sense, just to see if people would believe it.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That's the kind of job Onion would be great at.

16. R.A.

:56:

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    By the way, I mean that only in terms of his fantastic grasp of not just the English language, but other languages too. His ability to manipulate words is second to none on this forum.

18. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    This :50:

Tullamore Dew is my favorite whiskey around, In general I prefer Irish whiskeys to scotch

19. Andi B

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bertie Auld, Paul McStay,Frank McAvennie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South , The Merry Ploughboy ,Roll Of Honour ,Celtic Symphony ,Bye Bye,Rangers
    Used to love Caol il ila , is that the correct spelling ? From the Islay region, in fact most of my favourites used to come Islay -Briuchladdich,Laphroaig,and Ardbeg .Wouldn't spend £25-£30 on a whisky anymore.

20. bhoydownsouth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    TFOA
    Only ever tried Antiquary, didn't like it. My uncles all drank it, but nearly killed me when I put coke in it.....apparently only to be drank straight.

Antiquary 12 Year Old Deluxe Whisky