1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for coming season...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Jun 30, 2022.

Discuss Expectations for coming season... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Love the positivity in here, most have us coming 3rd in the Champions League.

Who would have thought 12 months ago a semifinal in the biggest European competition is now the expectation :fear:

2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Winning the league and at least 1 of the domestic cups and putting up respectable results in europe would make me a very happy man.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Depends on the rest of the window and our CL group, but...

Winning the league is obviously the main priority. As long as we have guaranteed CL group stage on offer, winning the league is imperative. If we were to win it another couple of years in a row we could and should pull way ahead of the huns on and off the pitch - albeit we've been there before.

I'd be hoping for 3rd place in our CL group, realistically, with a good run in the EL afterwards. Reaching a QF would be massive. Even just winning a knockout tie is progress.

Cups are a bonus but I'd like to think we'll win one of them at least.

Creativecelt and celtic warrior like this.
  4. horseshoe

Win the league, everything else is a bonus. Feel like there's no point having any expectations or hopes for europe until we actually see the draw, we could land in a group that 3rd is realistic or one we'll be lucky to scrape a few points in.

5. Foley1888

Win the league again and be able to further build the side knowing we are back in CL groups.

Show the consistency we showed for most of the season but right from the get go in the league.

Win at least one of the cups.

Give a respectable account of ourselves in Europe, what this is will largely depend on the CL draw we get.

6. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Treble and extended euro run

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

7. celtic warrior

I doubt Ange gives two * about such a feat...but of the signings continue and we keep this up...I'd say he'd stand a chance of making us go unbeaten domestically.

Albeit in such a short space of time between our first one, the huns claim to being unbeaten and us potentially doing it again under Ange...would just create such a joke narrative around Scottish football.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Win the league
    Show signs of progress in Europe, hopefully getting a side we can pip to third

A cup is a bonus. The league cup is the first trophy on offer so winning that sends a marker for the rest of the season..

I'd be ecstatic with the top two even if we won nothing else though..

9. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    League, Scottish Cup, progress in Europe.
    Happy with that.
    We will take our pumping in the Champions league but I'd expect to take a scalp at home. Maybe europa after Xmas and then don't get embarrassed. Need to progress in Europe and build celtic Park into a fortress again

Creativecelt likes this.
  10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Win the league and that’s it really.

We’ve not played Champions League football in a long time and the disparity between teams is much larger now than when we were getting beefed 12-1 and 9-0 over two games by PSG and Barcelona respectively.

The worst Champions League games are the ones like Anderlecht at home when people think we’re going to turn up and steamroller them because they aren’t Bayern and it ends up being a * atmosphere. Best to expect nothing and anything else is a bonus.

I’d be lying if I said I cared about the cups but they are nice to win.

neilly1987 likes this.
  11. TheHappyLoss

Hope, win the league and finish 3rd in CL group. Not much fussed about anything else. Expect win league and one cup. CL group depends on the draw.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Badly want progression in Europe

13. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Being a realist here, league and cup double again minimum.

Depending on what our champions league group I would like us to realistically finish third if it’s a good draw and Have a good run in the Europa League.

if we get papped out of the champions league in the group then would like us to win the treble.

14. stew37

Win the league is the expectation, with a cup or two as a bonus. In regards to Europe, I don't have expectations, but I'd be really like to qualify from the group stages. Anything else is also a bonus.

15. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Win the league, qualify for Europe after Christmas either CL or EL,

id like to see us use back up players in the league cup to get them game time so not bothered if we win it

win the Scottish cup just so we can take another trophy of the scummy *.

16. Keano88

As long as we can keep the goal difference intact I’ll be happy.

….

Seriously though I think we’re all of the same mindset going into the new season.

The league is the priority and we’d all be happy with 3rd place in the Champions League and then a stab at the latter stages of Europa, with the hope that we can finally go that step further.

Not arsed about the cups really, but would expect us to win one of them.

Nae pressure Ange and the bhoys.

17. saltire78

Obviously, a lot depends on our draws in cups and Europe... But I think ideally it'd be:

Win league a must.
    Play mostly reserves/kids in cups and get to semis/finals/win.
    Great draw in Europe and pinch 2nd, get ok draw and try to nip past single KO round

Most likely:
    Win league, but tight finish again (not that we're weak, just that can't see too many others taking points of the Huns, so distancing from them will be difficult no matter how we play)
    Full strength in both cups, probably win one and semis/final of other.
    3rd in CL, KO in 1st/2nd KO round of Europa

Long story short, I think we'll progress and improve, but too many variables for anything major this season I'd imagine. Tuesday/Wednesday matches and games on Saturday again will change our season though, especially extra day before TV matches on the Sunday

Creativecelt likes this.
  18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    League, win at least a cup but hopefully both. Aim for 3rd spot in CL and then go into the EL. That'll do.

19. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Win the league. Get third spot in our Champions league group, drop into the europa league then get to last 16 minimum.

The Scottish cup and League cup are a bonus for me this season, would rather we had a decent European campaign.

20. Keano88

Does anyone know if we’ll still be able to make 5 subs per match or is it back to 3?

With the depth we’ll have I hope it’s 5.