1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Exactly 1 year ago.....

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Feb 24, 2020.

Discuss Exactly 1 year ago..... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rodgers walked out on us! He tried to take every member of our back room team!

Lenny came in and steadied the ship. Got us over the line last season and has gave us our European pride back, has a 9 point lead in the title and in the quarter finals of the Scottish cup.

league cup in bag and team playing well.

cleared out a significant amount of dead wood from the club also.

how do we feel a year down the line?

1. about Rodgers
    2. About the time 2016-2019 when he was in charge
    3. Has the season 19/20 excited you more than the double treble or treble treble season
    4. If we get the 10 would you welcome Rodgers back for the celebrations if Celtic wanted all 3 managers there?
    5. Did you jump the gun with Lenny appointment spitting dummy out?

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He's still a snake *.

I will remember the trebles for the players. He is a snake *.

Yes coz he is a snake *.

No coz he is a snake *.

Yes. But Lenny isn't a snake *.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Snake basturt should never be a guest back at Celtic Park ever.

He knew that no-one would say anything to him when he came up for McNeill's funeral but on any other occasion he would be told where to go.

Hate praising anything to do with him, so I'll leave it there.

"And though I love my country,
    I am not a bitter man,
    ...oh yes I * am!" :celtman2:

4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    1) snake
    2) snake from fairly early on and annoyed i didn't say so early doors on here
    3) aye think so...deffo domestically but gutted about going out CL but i've over that now.
    4) under no circs
    5) nope. was a big advocate of him getting it!!:50:

5. JamesM09

I think the way I’ll rationalise it is I’ll remember the time he was here as successful and enjoyable. Why should it be tainted for us?

But the consequence for him is he is no longer welcome back and I have no good will towards him, along with many others.

For the sake of a few weeks, 10 games or so, he’s lost so much.

Blochairnbhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's still a * for leaving us but I'm beyond really caring about him now. His time in charge got off to an unbelievable start, in terms of results and the style of football. Obviously a treble treble is incredible, but the football tailed off massively after about 18 months. Side to side pish. Did okay in Europe, but given what we've done this season then it's clear he should have done better there.

This season has been great but still not quite as good as the invincible treble yet. Another treble, beat the huns in both games and get past Copenhagen. That would edge it.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Football is a funny old game.

From hero to zero.

8. davidhannah

When Rodgers walked into Celtic Park he sold out the stadium once again. He was a showman and took us back into the champions league. The invincible season was one of the greatest and most enjoyable seasons we've ever had. The connection with the fans and the players was there for all to see. The standing section opened up at Celtic Park also adding to the atmosphere. We wiped the floor of Rangers in every game we played. The Lisbon lions 50th anniversary was also very special. The players we have at the club right now are as good as they have been since the O'Neil era. The football has been sublime at times. We can knock copenhagen, now is the time to feel like we can give anyone a game in Europe again right now. Lennon has turned into an exceptional manager every bit as good as Rodgers. He's matured, and has conducted himself with class on and off the pitch. I don't think Lennon has been sent to the stand once this season. Contrast that to Gerrard who slates his players and referees after every bad result. We're in the verge of 9 in a row. It's a great time to be a celtic fan. So much better than supporting a plastic EPL team they've got nothing on the excitement of being born a Celtic fan. Hail hail.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  9. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    1. Wont be remembered fondly by most but did us a very good service for the time when he was here, gave us one of our best ever seasons the invincible year, some incredible football and decent results along way that first season. Managed to bring in some decent players that normally i dont think we'd of got, did sign some absolute dog * as well, main thing he did was bring players such as Forest & McGregor along to a new level.
    2. First season was brilliant, next two were enjoyable results wise but football was a chore a lot of times, great hun skelping mind.
    3. Yes, although Rodgers first season is up there.
    4. Absolutely, contributed 8 trophies to the cause pretty much
    5. Didn't want him as I thought we could do better, still feel we could of got a bigger so called name and better manager, that said would they have done as well as Lenny has? Very unlikely domestically we have been brilliant and some of the footy has been different class, but we may have reached champions league however the Europa League run has been great too. Saying that always said he would have my full support and that he would more than likely do well as he is and was always a good manager for Celtic, like most people said who didn't want him to be fair, he fits Celtic very well in terms of his high energy and passion rubbing off onto the pitch.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  10. Jeffrey

The problem with rodgers was how he talked the big celtic man facade and then became the only manager to ever ditch us mid season. If he didnt feed us bullshit, I wouldn't really care about his actions.

However, theres no doubting hes raised the bar here. Invincible season, double treble, brought in players like Dembele, Ntcham, Edouard, Sinclair etc. Improved players like Forrest, McGregor, Tierney into the players they have become. He's a great manager and was brilliant for our club.

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's a rat * but i don't really care about him anymore, our football was becoming really stale (we did go on a decent run from christmas granted) and honestly? We wouldn't be anywhere near out current points had he stayed.

The following transfer windows under him would have been terrifying, the January window there was disappointing, not gonna lie, but we had a fantastic Summer window. Jullien was scouted by him but we'd probably have signed Scott Mckenna instead. Tierney was leaving no matter what imo and as hit and miss as Bolingoli has been, i wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers found worse. No Elhamed, Frimpong, Taylor or Forster either, and i think Ntcham would have left.

As for the 10? Again, i wouldn't really care if he was there, and with what he's contributed to us he probably should be, but he would get boo'd out the building. Would absolutely love to see Deila there mind you, what a man.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    1. I don't care about him.
    2. Great success, got us back in the Champions league, won 7 trophies but he left our squad very depleted. Our defence was shocking, and an injuries in our defence caused issues. Recruitment was abysmal, Eddy, Ntcham and Sinclair were his only successes, which over 6 transfer windows was pretty *. He had to go soon as our squad had regressed. The 1st year and half of football was great, the next year was pretty patchy, then a month of good stuff and he * off.
    3. 2016/17 was great, arrogant huns got tanked by us 5-1 twice, we beat them 5 times and beat them in every competition. This season has us drinking more hun tears than ever. It's a diff feeling.
    4. If the club wants but I don't think it would be a good idea.
    5. Nah, supported the appointment. Nobody wanted the appointment as much as him, with us that can matter

FranceCelt likes this.
  13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I think the extensive backlash he received is testament to how good he was for us to be honest. If a mediocre manager decided to leave then folk wouldn’t be half as arsed.

I have had this argument a million times before. Rodgers was a fantastic manager for us - don’t let emotion cloud the judgement. He left in pretty * circumstances, but his final move was the same as nearly every manager and player that has walked through Celtic Park doors.

I don’t think he was ever as big a Celtic fan as Tierney was, for example. And even he couldn’t give a * about 10IAR.

The invincible season was one of the best in my lifetime.

14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not fond of him but I don't hold much animosity towards him either.

15. Heb Celt

And we improved and the thunder got louder,good riddance.

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    His time at Leicester is starting to resemble his time here. Started with a bang but looks like teams have now sussed them out. Theyve been struggling for form since the Arsenal chat.

17. oh bhoy

1 not in the least bit interested in Rodgers more concerned that lawwell couldn't keep a top manager happy .lawwell would rather have £££ compensation than telling Leicester to jog on until the season was over
    2 time in charge was brilliant
    3 no
    4 no
    5 no lenny's doing well football is garbage but we are winning games .we could of aimed for any manager in the game but any names ended up in a file because lawwell won't have anybody at the club having a bigger influence than him as can be seen with rodgers

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

1. He's a snake. Not because he left, or even his reason for leaving, but for making out he was some uber Tim who was living the dream when he was clearly only in it to rebuild his broken reputation.

2. Invincible season is up there with the greatest achievements in our history, and our CL campaign that year was decent. Despite the two successive trebles (still a phenomenal achievement and level of consistency) the squad was gradually getting worse along with the style of play and we were getting tanked left right and centre in Europe. In hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise he * off and took Congerton with him.

3. Yes, much more excited to see what Lennon could do with an already winning side, as he transformed a truly awful Celtic side under Mowbray the first time around.

4. He won't be welcomed back as such, but it would be a respectful gesture to invite him for the party. Would make singing 'BR here for 10iar' for three years less embarrassing if he was actually there for it... :giggle1:

5. No, I stuck a fiver on him to get it so I was happy enough at that albeit slightly surprised we didn't go for a manager we hadn't had before. But as I said in point 3, he's been there and done it as Celtic manager and player, loves the club and the fans, and knows the standard we expect in every game. It's quite fitting that he's back to finish what he started.

Random Review likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Theres a want about you

FranceCelt likes this.
  20. Keano88

Stopped caring about Rodgers about a week after he left tbh.

I know a lot of our fans are choking for him to fail and get sacked but I genuinely don’t care.

Garrymac1888 and Random Review like this.