1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European Super League

Discussion in 'World Football' started by MickeyyMack, Oct 20, 2020.

Discuss European Super League in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Buster

Spurs joining the European Super League is like me walking into the Crucible and putting 50p down on the table

2. StevieBhoooy!

Rydo1888*, JML67 and LectersLuncheon like this.
  3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    * them and let them get on with it, the EPL/Championship will implode/suffer and we can gain from that. Financially we would get bigger and stronger from being a bigger name in the remaining set up - we already can't compete with the founding -boak - clubs anyway so we lose nothing and can only gain from this happening. Thank * we never/aren't so dependant on TV broadcasting/advertising rights that we have to chase even more cash from that source.

It's not just about raking in more money for themselves though ..

"The founding clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid."

Aye nae bother Man utd/chelsea/Barca/RM etc are only doing this to help the smaller clubs out... is as laughable as some of the * being spouted by, some, pundits from sky etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56795811

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  4. scootz

Football has been (financially) mercenary for 30 years - I don’t like it, but why the outrage now?

And I particularly don’t get the furore around the big guns choosing this over the CL as the UEFA competition has been an utter disgrace since inception.

Any competition called ‘CHAMPIONS LEAGUE’ should see the CHAMPIONS of each member league being represented at the business end of it. And if there are any places left thereafter, they can have a qualification system for the member league ‘also rans’.

The Champions League was the original betrayal of the ‘pyramid system’.

5. made in ireland

Like many others I find the idea and set-up of this Super League pretty abhorrent and based on nothing more than greed.

But I don’t think that should surprise anyone. For the past 30 odd years a culture of greed and self interest has been allowed to flourish within football, and has been encouraged by the likes of the Premier League, Sky tv, UEFA and fifa etc. In an industry of sheer greed, it’s not shocking that greedy organisations become greedier and greedier.

Having said all that, I would welcome this seismic change.

I care for nothing else within football other than Celtic. Not for any other club or international team.

The current status quo for Celtic is rotten. And anything that disrupts that status quo is, in my view, good for Celtic. We currently play in a corrupt backwater, where ambitions and opportunities to improve as a club are non-existent. So anything that gives Celtic the ability to move away from facing the likes of Hamilton Accies and Ross County, to avoid being refereed by Willie Collum and Bobby Madden etc, to stop the likes of Neil Doncaster, Gordon smith, Jim Farry and others of that ilk having any influence of governance should be welcomed and explored.

I think we need to strive for much better than that. Our ambitions should be much higher than just being one half of the “old firm” and dominating a footballing backwater.

If seismic changes are coming to European football, then Celtic should be using it as an opportunity to move to England, or to take part in a new British league, or to create a new uefa Atlantic league or something like that. Just anything that would change the current status quo would be great for the club in my opinion.

LectersLuncheon and davidhannah like this.
  6. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Post of the * year :56:

7. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    :56::56::56::56:

8. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    * Modern Football!

Ive * fell out with this game this season

Glazier a a couple year ago didnt know what the offside rule was! Now hes just ripping up the game

9. davidhannah

Disgusted at the BBCs headline saying this move is to "save football" by Real President. I don't hold out much hope in the Tories preventing this, the lot of them will have their nose the trough.

The Champions League will not be perfect. It should go back to 1997 format when Paul Lambert won it. This Swiss Model is wrong.

The Champions League. Europa, and the new Conference League should give more people, and smaller clubs away trips to talk about.

I hope we can stop them but football will be galvanised after this, and it won't be finished they need kicked out their domestic leagues.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    LectersLuncheon and honda like this.
  10. Bonobhoy

Yep,same here.

With whats gone on this season regarding our * show and the blatant issues that Sevco have gotten away with and the shenanigans that the SFA/SPFL do regarding their beloved club....all this Super league news has just put the cherry on top now.

Covid has also played its part in killing this game,the money loss needs to be made up somehow and this is a way of doing that for some by * over every other.

We are in trouble ourselves already with this deadbeat * in charge of our club,the utter dogshit we have in all players bar 3,and the possibilitly as it looks of no one coming near us either,we just look *.

I havent watched a CL game in 2 years and only watched us in EL getting pumped,so its easier for me to switch that off......but i havent watched us play since January 2nd,and throw in the avoidance of the Radio shows and media,i feel a lot better.

The desicions yesterday is just total greed and it will only get worse and the teams left behind will further fall behind,modern football is a * joke now.

Im so glad i was about when Henke/Sutty/Thommo/Lenny etc was here,and just remember the greats also in Jinky and co.......its just * now with and its a sport thats easlily fallen away from me,which is a shame.

Moore likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The Vice President of this venture...

20210420_030118.jpg

Moore likes this.
  12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No surprise there. If our refs cant understand offside rule how can we expect that * to understand it

13. ashk1985

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Athenry
    Oh, they understand it just fine ... how else could they make sure it * us up every time?

bagforlife, Twisty and Drakhan like this.
  14. Paul McAuley

Talk of us and them Joining the EPL to replace two of the six who would be booted out. Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

made in ireland likes this.
  15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No thanks.

16. murphy88

It won't happen though mate. If the EPL come calling, it will be for the both of us, and with Desmond at the helm, he would jump at the chance.

17. made in ireland

I don’t care about the Huns.

But I’d definitely take Celtic joining the EPL.

18. murphy88

I'd tell them to shove it up their *. English football will collapse if this Super League goes ahead, let them rot.

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    They can shove their EPL up their *

20. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    :56: