1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Some. Bhoy.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic hero Emilio Izaguirre has blasted his homeland club Motagua for a lack of respect after he was slapped on the transfer list following a bust-up with his manager.

And he reckons his club should look at Celtic for an example on how to treat players.

The 34-year-old left Parkhead two years ago to return to his home country and sign for first club Motagua after two spells with the Hoops, which yielded 12 trophies, including seven league titles.

But he's been told he can leave after falling out with Argentinian manager, Diego Vasquez.

Izaguirre said: "I was just there to fill the squad. I never felt valued by him. I am a player who has dedicated himself to Motagua and its history. Celtic paid this club £2million because of me.

"I worked hard and tried to respect everyone. I admit I got angry once or twice with the manager because he wasn't playing me. But I have always respected him.

He's not told me I am not in his plans yet. I haven't been playing for the money at Motagua, but they have hugely disrespected me.

"I am an experienced player, I have won a lot of trophies abroad and played in two World Cups.

"I still enjoy football, I still have a passion for playing. I thought I could go back to my homeland and play football, but they have taken it away from me.

don't want to go abroad because my children are settled, but I might have to.

"This is very painful for it to end like this because at Celtic I felt appreciated and valued."

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Hoops defender, Emilio Izaguirre, has been released by his first club in Honduras, Motagua, after a bust-up with his manager, Diego Vasquez.

The 34-year-old, who won 12 trophies at Celtic including seven titles, is now a free agent after he clashed with his manager when he lost his first team place.

A Motagua statement said: "After 12 years in two spells wearing our colours with great pride. Motagua thanks Emilio Izaguirre for being part of the history of the club.

"We wish him every success. It has been an honour for us to be an important part of his brilliant career. Motagua will always be your home. Thanks, Emilio."

4. TheHappyLoss

Loved wee Izzy, the Celtic fan Tierney always wanted to be :fear:

5. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Im very fond of Izzy, I have a great photo of him along with my daughter, we were in a restaurant in Barcelona and he came over to say hello (the 2 Celtic tops give it away) he was there with his wife and father, his dad actually took the photo of the three of us. Great memory

Twisty, bobs1974, KRS-1888 and 8 others like this.
  6. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Wow that's excellent, what a guy!

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    My brother seen him in Silverburn and started chanting Izzy, then realised he was doing it and drawing attention like a *. They just stood and looked at each other for a bit and he goes ‘ahhh thank you’ and walked away.

apparently was just embarassed as my brother. Brilliant man.

carraigbhoy likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I'd take him as the new manager.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Not until he puts on a pair of socks.

Artorias likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RENEWED | Today the player Emilio Izaguirre has renewed his contract with our institution. Emilio will still be in the monster's lair!

13. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Made friends for life among the Honduran lads on site when I showed up to work in DC wearing Celtic jerseys

kinglenny and Taz like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Emilio Izaguirre looks set to retire at 36 as the former Celtic defender has been released by Marathon in Honduras.

The former Parkhead star has been in his homeland since leaving the club in 2019 and has racked up 77 appearances for Motagua and Marathon. But he's had his struggles with injury recently and hadn't featured in 2022 after suffering a knee problem

Izaguirre was a hero at Celtic and won 12 major honours over his two spells, including seven Premiership titles. He won every domestic trophy more than once over his eight years combined and was a key player for Neil Lennon, Ronny Deila and Brendan Rodgers. The veteran defender returned to his homeland three years ago with his first club Motagua, but moved to bitter rivals Marathon after a dispute with their manager. And he's now been let go after failing to win back his first team place.

He's hinted he could now be ready to retire from the game. He posted a message which stated: "Thank you my * for all your blessings, more than 19 years of football career, many titles, two World Cups and I know that many more good things are coming."

Izaguirre - who made 269 appearances in total for Celtic and scored five goals - revealed last year that he could be a pastor when he retires from football. He explained: "Being a pastor is a complex term because it can be misinterpreted. I want to help young people and I want to be a disciple of *. I want to lead by example and help them as others helped me and be successful in following *.

"I try to be disciplined and I learned that when I was in Europe with Celtic. My teammates there would hold parties every month and would drink. They told me it was a sin not to drink.

But I maintained my discipline and gained respect from my teammates and the fans who understood that I would never have a beer with them. When I was younger, I lost many friends due to violence in Honduras. You have to realise that life is short and you have to take advantage of it.

"I pray morning, afternoon and night. I thank * for everything - without him I am nothing. I have never had any desire to drink or go to nightclubs. * guided me away from that. I don't want to be known as someone who had a great game, I want to be known as someone who is a great person."

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    36 isn't a bad age to play to. Had a fairly successful career, 12 trophies, 111 caps and played at a world cup.

17. celtic warrior

Always welcome back.

Love him...I'm absolute simp for the * like the look of him welling up when leaving us I think first time around.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Surprised he made it to 36. His leg's were gone year's ago..

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Great guy.

Wish him all the best. First season he was immense. I don't think he ever fully recovered from that injury, but was still a great servant.

20. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Always was and always will be one of my favourite Celtic players ever. He didn’t just play up to the fans for the sake of it, he loves this club.