1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Bad move Celtic.

Good luck Izzy.

2. Ak1

The big thing for me. Is this shows how by acting professionally you can leave a club with the fans best wishes, and more importantly with dignity. Which is obviously becoming increasingly rare in modern football.

Emilio will struggle to make most fans lists of all time greats, (and his shortcomings have already been well commented numerous times across this thread) but the majority of supporters recognised his efforts throughout his time at the club.
    Particularly towards the end of his time with us. Despite being backup to KT, whenever required he stepped up domestically, performed to the best of his abilities, and supported the club unconditionally when returned back to the bench.

No issues with contracts, no whining to the tabloids and no fallouts with players, management or fans.

Not a great maybe, but unusually in today's football a very honourable professional.
    Good luck EI

3. celtic20

Been a great servant to the club, just so reliable at left-back and one of the best full-backs I've seen at the club in that first season here.

Just was never the same after that break against Aberdeen those years ago, but he was sensational during his time here. Going by reports he's always been very supportive and encouraging towards Tierney, and I just wish him well wherever he goes. Absolute hero who never seemed to moan about a thing.

Taz likes this.
  4. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Finding decent left-backs is a nightmare. Izzy may not have KTier's raw ability, but he was a more than serviceable back-up with great European experience (though, understandably, he doesn't want to be playing second-fiddle). As someone above said, a model professional; not a legend, but one of the good guys.

Taz likes this.
  5. shaunm

Hopefully we have another KT in the youths

6. celtic warrior

At a time where we were struggling to find a LB above the level of mediocre in came this beautiful man.

* tore this league apart with a surprising range of skill I never expected and skinned people for fun at near every level, I would not argue with anyone if they held the opinion that his first season here was the best first season of any LB we've had in recent years.

Then that * horrendous injury happened and he was never the same, lost that spark, brought it back a little in his third season but had to surrender his position to the emerging KT.

absolutely delivered more then anyone could have ever have expected and if not for that cunting injury I do wonder what would have happened with KT.

We can just count our blessings that we have KT now anyway but Izzy has been a great servant and genuinely seems like a top guy.

No legend but will be missed hugely.

7. kenyan_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Thank you izzy for your years of service - a true celt - one I'll remember fondly for years to come.

8. Liam Fraser

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Saw at Barca's at Princess Square with my grandparents having dinner with his kids and spouse. Adios Izzy thanks for being a great servant for us.

9. Nowhereman

There goes the last of the team that I saw in person in Deebo. Sad day for me.

Aidan O’Shea and Random Review like this.
  10. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Only reading this now. Best of luck to him. A model professional that got the club from day 1. Will be missed.

11. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    |_o_| wish him all the best

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sad to see him go, but it's probably for the best: he was much too good to be a back up and nowhere near good enough to displace Tierney. This way he gets to play football and we both get a bit of money.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Emilio Izaguirre has revealed he had to quit Celtic to save his international career with Honduras.

The long-serving Hoops defender has left the Premiership champions after seven trophy-laden years to sign for Saudi Arabian big-spenders Al-Fayha.

He's signed a two-year deal and Izaguirre - who was back-up to Kieran Tierney - insisted he had to leave Scotland to keep his place in his international side. He's just 12 caps short of winning 100 caps for Honduras.

Izaguirre said: "I have signed for Al-Fayha and it's the best for everyone I think.

"I made the move for the sake of my international career and my family.

"I received a very good offer from Saudi Arabia and I was interested in leaving Celtic to get first team football.

"I realised if I wanted to keep playing for Honduras I would have to move.

"This was the best move for me and also my family."

The 31-year-old is set to join the Middle East club shortly in their training camp in Austria before the start of the Saudi season.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Celtic loves you more than you will know.

Thanks for everything, Izzy. We'll always remember you fondly.

15. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    He was one of the guys who really got Celtic. Izzy we love you, all the best to you and your family bro.

16. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    He was a proper professional. In the montage vids above it was interesting to see how many goals he assisted!! He would have been decent back up for KT but has been off form the past 18 months with the emergence on KT. However, if he wants regular football you can't blame him from wanting to seek it elsewhere. I wish him all the best in Saudi.

Now I wonder if a new defender/wing back is imminent.

17. Paul McAuley

Heart just sank when do seen his name in ex players. My opinion is he's the hardest working foreigner to ever don the hoops.

Good luck wee man you'll always be welcome at CP. All the Best.

18. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

Wish him all the best! Always gave 100% and always had time for the fans! I was picking up tickets at CP and he had to get dragged away from taking photies with fans because he was going to be late for training.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Ruthless aswell but in good for club kinda way

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

20. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wish him all the best, and will always be welcomed back. Thanks for so many years of dedicated service and one of the better LB's we have had over the years. Good piece of business by the club and hopefully Izzy is getting a big payday to see out the next phase of his career.