1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Eddie Howe - is he the new man?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Jan 21, 2021.

Discuss Eddie Howe - is he the new man? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The same squad?

We’re about to lose half the team this summer. Edouard, Ajer, Christie, Ely, Kenny, Brown etc.

The rebuilding job, on and off the field, this summer is monumental. Winning the league next season shouldn’t be expected until we see the manager and players we bring in. Even then it’ll be a tough job.

2. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Tbh I never thought in a month of sundays this season would be when the whole team became invisible

in fact it might have been better if the * where invisible this season

3. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Its a huge rebuilding job required.

You look at the squad and think of potential players leaving and you are left with the following realistically:

Goalkeeper - Bain/Barkas - New first team goalie needed

Right back - Ralston - New first team right back needed

Centre back - Welsh/Julien - 2 new centre backs needed

Left back - Taylor/Bolingoli - New first team left back needed

Midfield - Turnbull/McGregor/Soro/Rogic - New central midfield player needed box to box type

Wingers - Forrest/Johnstone - 2 new wingers needed

Strikers - Ajeti/Klimala/Griffiths - New starting first team striker needed

Its a minimum of 9 first team players required and its throughout the entire team.

King of Kings likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Yous are a bunch of negative nancies. Soon as howe is in, a few players and were gonna win this league at a canter. I'll tell you what, I'll enjoy the win better aswel. Sometimes you've got to loose something to truly appreciate it.

Tommy25, Artorias, davrob and 2 others like this.
  5. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

The Invincibles to The Invisibles :84:

6. celtic warrior

The rebuild can be a long project, we just need to be clever and astute with signings for the now.

Defence needs overhaul. I would argue, keep Kenny on loan but obviously look at signing two new RB's. Probably try and extend Laxalt and sign 1 new permanent LB.

Then the biggest priority is getting depth for CB, if a miracle happens and we can keep Ajer till Jan, we can sign one new CB and get processes in place to avoid our defenders constantly picking uo injuries, we then have a good choice of Ajer, Jullien, Welsh and new CB to pick from.

Convinced with a actual professional coach Ajeti could come good. No doubt we've got a big job on the cards, but we don't need to splurge on 11 new players every season like huns did under Gerrard.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

A few players? Canter?

Same pish as last pre season. Bought a few players and thought it would be a canter.

Xatraps and Officer Doofy like this.
  8. dmccourt95

A few players? We’ll need about 8 first team players

Lennon1888 likes this.
  9. celtic warrior

Depending on status of Ajer and McGregor. (yes I'm sure Ajer will go, but I've got just a tiny bit of hope he stays till Jan)

I would say with 4 new first team signings and a competent manager like Rodgers, like Howe, not like Lennon, not like Keane we would win the league.

Would that be at a canter..... Hmmmmmm, debatable, but we'd win the league regardless.

10. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    I'd imagine he's spent time looking at players thinking they'd be good acquisitions for when he got back into management. He seems the type that will have files and videos, so if he has agreed to manage hopefully he has players earmarked for potential deals.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s isn’t really an exaggeration to say that we need to sign a new team.

We’ll have one good centre back, a young prospect, and Taylor.

We’ll hopefully keep hold of McGregor, Turnbull, Soro and Forrest, so we have the makings of a good midfield, but it’s extremely thin on the ground.

Up front we’ll have Klimala and Ajeti.

It’s a massive rebuild, and we’ll rightfully start next season as underdogs. It’s possible that we could win the league, but it take a massive rebuilding job akin to why we saw under O’Neill. We’ll need to be far more astute in the transfer market than we’ve been in recent years.

The CL is a bit of a pipe dream in all honesty. We struggle to qualify even when we have a settled, winning team. Assembling a squad on a limited budget in the space of a couple of months isn’t a recipe for success at that level.

Some of the chat here is why I completely understand Howe wanting nothing to do with us until he can put his own stamp on things in summer. A couple of poor performances/results against Sevco and plenty of fans would already be questioning him, or at least sharpening the knives.

We have the biggest rebuilding job to do since Mowbray left, without a doubt, and arguably bigger. Now consider the signings we made under Lennon when he took over from Mowbray - he nailed it, again and again and again. Commons, Ledley, Hooper, Kayal, Forster, Mulgrew, Izzy.....
    we still fell short. We need that level of signing again to have a realistic shot, and our recent record hasn’t been close to it.

12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Like my hair:86:

ddub11 and NomDePlum like this.
  13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think we will be a force again next season if Howe comes in or a manager with a decent reputation. We really need our fans back in the ground and some great signings. Then Sevco will start to have the fear again. They have had it so easy this season with our collapse. We basically handed them the league without a proper fight.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's that arrogance from the leaders of our club that led to complacency and a terminal decline, despite all of our advantages.

Anyone crowing "we'll dae this, we'll dae that" while John Kennedy is our manager and a slew of our best players are about to leave, shouldn't be taken seriously.

I'm with Elvis on this; a little less conversation, a little more action please.

15. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Ive wanted Howe for ages, but Im getting the feeling he doesn't want us bad enough! He must know the rebuild needs to start now

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Was getting talked up on Celtic tv before the game

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  17. DonnyCelt

They think he's got it?

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Stay off the glue. Not a * chance next season will be a canter if we get Howe.

Them zombie * are much better and will strengthen in the summer as well. They are playing to their strengths and still unbeaten in the league.

As much as I * hate them they have been really good this season regarding league and Europe.

Slippy has them set up well and it’s going to take a massive rebuild and not a few players.

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I think they will revert back to their shitebag ways if fans get back in next season

20. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I think it's actually you who's been on the glue. They are *. They have only won the league through us collapsing (even at that it could have been salvaged with even a modest gaffer replacing Lennon). They have been very lucky with; lack of injuries, 1 covid case, no reds, no pens conceded and being treated with extreme leniency when breaching rules, Twice. It was a perfect storm that they've capitalised on.

Tommy25 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.