1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Eddie Howe - is he the new man?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Jan 21, 2021.

Discuss Eddie Howe - is he the new man? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I honestly see this recruitment going * up this summer. I just have a really bad feeling. I honestly hope to * I’m wrong but I can see DD and the rest * it up by doing things on the cheap once again.

seanm likes this.
  2. davidhannah

Eddie Howe's waiting until the summer time. If his heart was with Celtic he'd be in the door now to immediately assess his squad. It's simply not good enough for a club the size of Glasgow Celtic.

I look at Brendan Rodgers... or as some people call him the rat, it was clearly a good footballing move from a Leicester perspective as he was able to assess the squad, and then they hit the ground running.

We can't afford to wait until the summer. Our club depends on the Champions League qualifiers and Europe to survive. We need a man in now. Howe's waiting for Roy Hodgson to retire from Crystal Palace. In fact I'd say we've got more chance of getting Roy Hodgson than Eddie Howe. He says he's taking a sabbatical until the summer... Bollocks. He's drinking Pims in Bournemouth, waiting for another small time Premier League club. Its a small time move by Eddie Howe, its time we moved on.

Clyde Super scoreboard should be interesting tonight.

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    You seem to know a lot about what Howe is thinking.

He owes us absolutely * all and our club is a * mess. So really is it a surprise if he's taking his time?

Again, he owes us nothing and I actually think having someone in NOW would be detrimental, were they actually to be on the touchline managing. He could still assess the situation despite not being on the touchline.

Knowing our support if he came in and lost both games against the Huns and didn't have us purring immediately we'd be wanting him sacked.

If we were going to hire anyone with the aim of managing games this season we would have done it by now anyway.

I also think anyone expecting an immediate turnaround and champions league qualification is going to be sadly disappointed. This is a massive, MASSIVE overhaul and could take seasons to get us back to where we need to be.

Thats just the reality and it won't be Howe, Marsch or whoever is appointed's fault. That lies with the board and the man who has just left his position.

Whoever comes in is going to need time. Realistic fans should realise that.

4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    How did we get in this Mess!!!

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Realisticly we should be winning the league next season on wage budget alone.

6. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Frank Macca saying it’s games a bogey

edit: according to football insider

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  7. wulliebad

Frank has more quotes than the white house spokesperson. :56:

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Rhubarb Ronnie spilt his delicious jam on the good Persian rug.

cidermaster likes this.
  9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If it isn't Howe it isn't Howe, there will be other managers who will do a good job. Also it still hasn't been said it isn't Howe.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We may well do so but you're relying on 10 or 12 players coming in and gelling immediately and a new management team and DOF hitting the ground running.

Don't doubt we have the money but can you honestly say we utilise it well?

The squad is a mess.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinly the same mess of a squad just won a quad treble. A manager can make a wonderful difference. Would you have said ronny had a squad that would go invisible? Treble after treble?

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The squad Ronny had wasn't far away from being a good side, and didn't undergo the type of overhaul that this one will come summer.

Rodgers added a few signings in key positions that came straight into the first team, the new manager will need to probably add 10+ players with a load going the other way too this upcoming window.

13. StevieBhoooy!

That has been has less insider info on Celtic as Kris Boyd ... and that’s approximately fekkall...

Is the taxi game so quiet at the moment he has to sell made up Pish to make up for list fares?

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Genuinly believe we will win the league this season.

johnboy19 likes this.
  15. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    I go into every season believing it
    Can’t believe the * show this season
    I genuinely thought the ten was going to be in the bag and we would go on to 15+

Tommy25 and johnboy19 like this.
  16. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I think that is glossing over it a bit. Can think a load of players that's played a big part of the treble treble that are not with us anymore. We completed the quad treble but that last cup we stuttered over the line to get.

As for asking if Ronny could go onto and invincible season. Probably not but he didn't have moussa, Sinclair and kolo, they made an impact. Tierney was coming into a whole different level.

Then going into Lennon's reign, we lost the likes of boyata, benkovic, Tierney, Gordon, Forster, Sinclair, moussa, Armstrong and lustig. Probably missing more too. But to say this is the same team that done the quad treble just doesn't stand up for me.

As for the manager. I hope it Howe, if it isn't the world doesn't have to stop. Their is a world of talent out their that would jump at this job.

I know it'll never happen but I still look at the ranieri example. A manager of high pedigree we could take from sampdoria and he earns less than what Rodgers did with us. Am not necessarily sayign it has to be ranieri but it gives us an idea of what kind of standard we can look at. Howe is a very impressive candidate but let's not get mixed up here, we are the huge opportunity for him here, not the other way around!

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I hope so but it's far too early to say.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not a single Celtic fan can say with any conviction we’ll do anything next season.

The entire club is just about to be overhauled from top to bottom on and off the park. Where we’re sitting going into next season no one can guess.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  19. Maestro 08

Wouldn't be us to do things the easy way would it. As suspected this looks like it's far from the done deal some were jumping the gun at.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Edouard, Ajer, Christie all likely to leave in addition to those who have already left and helped win that quadruple treble.

The fact remains the squad which starts next season will be completely different to the one which has brought us so much success recently.

Thats what I said in my original post. We need minimum 10 new first team ready players to come in in addition to a new management team, captain of 10 years leaving, star player leaving, new chief executive and DOF coming in.

I admire any optimism and it isn't impossible but I don't know how anyone can sit and say with any conviction we will definitely win the league next season. You can't.

You can't even say that with a more settled squad playing good football with a manager who has been here 2 or 3 seasons. It's football. Anything can happen, either way.

Its not me being negative, its just being realistic about the challenge which lies ahead. I feel like some fans are underestimating it despite what we've witnessed on and off the park this season.

It is also different to the Deila situation. Aye the majority of the squad was there but without key signings from Rodgers (Dembele and Sinclair in particular) none of that success would have been achieved. So as I said, recruitment and the team gelling quickly etc is going to be key. Whatever the outcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.