1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Earthlings

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by mygirlmaria, Apr 4, 2016.

Discuss Earthlings in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Oh yeah of course, I'm just a selfish * and like my bargain buckets too much :86::smiley-laughing002:

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Kerry Gold is perfectly fine for butter.

Won't find better than Irish grass grazed cows producing your butter. It's become huge in the US.

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

that butter is sublime!

4. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Yes i eat Kerrygold just now, (it is delicious)and they do advertise it as grass fed, but i want one where the cows arent abused.ie, they arent perpetually made pregnant and then have their calves taken off them at birth.

5. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

That is the point. When your opening line in the film is about the complete horse * that is the idea of "speciesism" you know logic isn't going to be the films strong point and basic appeals to emotion are going to be all your going to get. The movie is nothing more than a long pro-vegantarism film, but you don't have to be a vegatarian to improve animal welfare, even if this crap film claims otherwise.

And vivisection isn't an insult to 'real science' as the film claims. It's crucial science.

6. s'escocès!

I've always thought that if everyone reduced there meat intake down to 1 or 2 portions a week we could reduce the need for industrial livestock farming without having to change people's lifstyles to much.

7. pete0301

8. Mark1978

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Not often I'm lost for words.

9. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

I've been Vegan for 3 years. Im glad someone posted the video and people are talking about it. People ask me what I miss the most. I always say my faith in humanity. Eat meat if you like, but at least don't be ignorant of the facts.

If the words of non-violence and peace come out of you're mouth, but the products of suffering and death go into it, you need to think about that.

Organic , compassionate meat? To me thats like saying 'just let me put this johnny on before I rape ye hen'

And by the way, its so * easy being a vegan. Honestly

Yous should try it at least

10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    That is complete rubbish.Of course it appeals to our emotions.....what would be the point of it otherwise?
    There are no fake films in it, none of it is bullshit and i for one have no problem with people eating meat............but i do have a problem with animals being maltreated prior to being consumed.

Vivisection is not crucial, its the cheap option.

11. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Brilliantly put.

12. stoutroller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Gone vegan myself, my missus been it for years. Not even an effort and I eat much healthier as well. Highly recommended. :)

13. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

The point would be to make a logical argument for not eating meat. But there is no such argument (out with a case by case basis) and so has to resort to making people go "oh the poor wee animals".

It has to make appeals to emotion because it lacks any solid logic. It can't say that all animals killed for human consumption are treated the way its shock footage says it does - their not. It can't stay why vegetarianism is the only way to improve animal welfare - its not. It can't say why we don't need animal testing - we do.

It only wants to create feelings of pity instead of making people think about what is best for humans. When it does try to come up with some grand theory, we get this thing called Speciesism, the most innate drivel ever created. All species look to the well being of their own in the first place.

This is not only rational behaviour, its 'natural'.

But the film portrays its shock footage as the only way in which animals are killed, which clearly isn't true. Its hyperbole.

So do I, we should cut out as much needless suffering as possible. That means improving and streamlining the process of getting the food from field to plate. Not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And I hate it when rational discourse goes out the window so we can anthropomorphise animals and living things. The stupidity of it is that we'll never have the "Stop irradiating cancer cells" movie, but they are "Eathlings" too :smiley-laughing002:

Vivisection is crucial science for helping us understand the central nervous system of living things and how to help fix or improve our own. From ground breaking science to just training surgeons in some places.

The simple truth is that for all the protesting and gruesome pictures, there is simply no viable alternative to animal testing.

This is what I don't get about you plant power lot. Why do you always come out with the most crude, offensive * possible? Like comparing battery farms to Auschwitz or saying the fight for "animals rights" is like the civil rights movements? Or that comment about rape with a condom?

Maybe its because when you get down to it Veganism is one of the most stupid lifestyle fads about.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What a disgusting comment.

15. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's strong, maybe crude language but you get his point though?

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If his point is eating organic meat is akin to raping a bird with a condom on?

Absolutely * not. Jesus Christ.

17. Dáibhí

There is no such argument? You really believe that? For one thing, removing meat from your diet immediately sees a substantial drop in cholesterol.

Plant-based foods are completely cholesterol-free by all accounts, which surely has to rank as something of an argument?

More & more medical experts are linking meat consumption with various forms of cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and other health issues, with people who drastically reduce the amount of meat they eat, or drop it completely seeing such issues less and less.

I've already stated that I find the whole eco-warrior stance to be irritating, and I agree with you on your views regarding the movie, but to say that there is no logical argument for not eating meat is a bit silly really.

18. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

He doesn't have a point.

Its massively offensive to equate oppressed humans and those that have faced horrible acts like rape to animals.

19. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There's no logic behind not eating meat, really?

On a basic level and the main reason I'm a veggie is the simple fact in today's modern Western world most people do not need to kill animals and eat their meat to survive and sustain themselves. It's an unnecessary cruelty.

The health benefits of a meat free diet are also well known. Vegetarians across the board have lower rates of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity even lesser prevelance of health problems like acne and constipation. An Oxford study showed Vegetarians on average outlive meat eaters by 6 years! No logic???

Then you can come to the topic of the environment... An UN study in 2006 reported that livestock produce more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
  20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's not what he meant and you know it.

It's an analogy.